1989 f150 help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
1989 f150 help

Got the truck a few years ago and it has developed a problem. Since I am not a mechanic I was wondering what its problem is. In the cooler weather like under 50 degrees the truck runs great. But when it is warmer it putters when going down the road. It starts fine and idles good. It just putters under light acceleration and staying at the speed limit. When I floor it, it goes fine. What could be wrong with it and is it an easy fix? Please help
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Fuel filter? Plugs? If I had an 89 that would of been the first things I'd of changed to make sure it ran fine... That and air filter...now if you did that already then it might take a little more
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by superboondee View Post
Got the truck a few years ago and it has developed a problem. Since I am not a mechanic I was wondering what its problem is. In the cooler weather like under 50 degrees the truck runs great. But when it is warmer it putters when going down the road. It starts fine and idles good. It just putters under light acceleration and staying at the speed limit. When I floor it, it goes fine. What could be wrong with it and is it an easy fix? Please help
If it is not the fuel filter or plugs then I would try Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - Powered by vBulletin they are a great bunch of folks there that can help ya out. I would als check if the intake plemum is leaking by spreaying a little starter fluid around it to see if it idles better when warm.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is it a 300 I6? A 302 or 351. Need engine and transmission info...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
it's a 302 with an auto.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just a thought... Dad had a '90 F-150 4x4 (302 4-spd) that would sputter or die at idle or above, then start right back up and run fine for hours, days or weeks. After interstate driving for several hours one day, it cut-out a few times like he was cycling the key on and off rapidly, then went another 100 miles or so home with no further occurrences. Turned out to be an intermittent ignition coil pack.

Your problem could also be a fuel injector. I've been known to pour a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool in the tank and it cured sputtering problems like that too. It's some strong stuff. Make sure you don't let it spill on your paint. That would be like pouring lacquer thinner on it.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion