☆☆☆I'm buying a Corvette☆☆☆ - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Bunch of traitors here! Lol. The only vette I'd take over a GT500 is the ZR1. But I would take a 2013 850hp Super Snake over the ZR1 any day, everyday. Personally Vettes are the only Chevy I'd touch, because they are honestly built quite nice apart from a few things. But mustangs have their flaws also. Real car guys respect other car guys. Until ricers come into play. Then it's a laughing game. Good luck on your purchase!
Austjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #37

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
When I meant easy, i meant more like cheap, because instead of having to buy 4 cams it's just 1. The money saved can go to other things.
Good point, I thought my corvette and Gto were expensive to mod compared to the turbo cars I've had in the past, that is until I started looking into parts for the 5.0
Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Parts for the 5.0 are a joke. That's why whenever I see someone say "just swap in a Coyote and be done" I shake my head. They are nice but you can build a badass modular for less money that will be all forged and make more power. Also parts will be stupid cheap vs the Coyote.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You can get a low milage 04 Vette for under 25k. One that's in pristine condition and spent its life in a garage and driven on Sunday sunny days.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You can get a low milage 04 Vette for under 25k. One that's in pristine condition and spent its life in a garage and driven on Sunday sunny days.
And owned by an older person with the money/time to treat it like gold and respect it vs beat the living **** out of it like happens with 90% of Mustangs or other sports cars.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
And owned by an older person with the money/time to treat it like gold and respect it vs beat the living **** out of it like happens with 90% of Mustangs or other sports cars.
Lol I've seen probably one vette that was actually "driven" as we mustang owners call it. Seeing someone drive a vette hard around here is like seeing pigs fly.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austjn View Post

Lol I've seen probably one vette that was actually "driven" as we mustang owners call it. Seeing someone drive a vette hard around here is like seeing pigs fly.
Vette owners are a very different breed of car enthusiasts. They are typically white males in there late 50's and up. They drive there vettes like they are a Buick regal. They are garage kept, many not driven in rain, snow and most have not seen a roadway under 65 degrees. Lmao

The strange part is that pre owned vettes sell for dirt cheap and with no miles on them. Even 05 vette with low miles are being sold for under 30k.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Vette owners are a very different bread of car enthusiasts. They are typically white males in there late 50's and up. They drive there vettes like they are a Buick regal. They are garage kept, many not driven in rain, snow and most have not seen a roadway under 65 degrees. Lmao The strange part is that pre owned vettes sell for dirt cheap and with no miles on them. Even 05 vette with low miles are being sold for under 30k.
I just laughed so hard at how correct you are on the first part. You are right about the price too it's amazing. I plan on owning a vette in my days hopefully sooner than later. Unlike older men I'd drive it like a stang. (;
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just laughed so hard at how correct you are on the first part. You are right about the price too it's amazing. I plan on owning a vette in my days hopefully sooner than later. Unlike older men I'd drive it like a stang. (;
Amen. I would drive that vette like it was meant to be driven. You got to clean that carbon out every now and then . Lmao.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, dude who I got my car from had a 99 with low miles and 375 whp. Thing had mods which probably lowered the value of it but the paint was spotless, interior was mint and he said he paid $18k for it. Was lowered with upgraded suspension, nice exhaust, hot cammed, had the Vette bolt ons and sounded mean as hell.

The only thing I don't like about the C5s are the bubble interiors but that whole car makes up for it.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said, dude who I got my car from had a 99 with low miles and 375 whp. Thing had mods which probably lowered the value of it but the paint was spotless, interior was mint and he said he paid $18k for it. Was lowered with upgraded suspension, nice exhaust, hot cammed, had the Vette bolt ons and sounded mean as hell.

The only thing I don't like about the C5s are the bubble interiors but that whole car makes up for it.
I bet one could pick up a 99 vette now with low miles for under 15k and that's in pristine condition. If I were gonna buy a vette it would have to be the 05 plus years. I'm not a fan of the head lights that pop up. Way to 80's for me. Lmao.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bet one could pick up a 99 vette now with low miles for under 15k and that's in pristine condition. If I were gonna buy a vette it would have to be the 05 plus years. I'm not a fan of the head lights that pop up. Way to 80's for me. Lmao.
i actually prefer the c5 with c5r swapped headlights. i love the c5 bodystyle for some reason.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i actually prefer the c5 with c5r swapped headlights. i love the c5 bodystyle for some reason.
Nothing wrong with that bro. I like everything else about the 00-04 vettes but those darn pop up head lights. One always gets stuck open. Lmao
Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that bro. I like everything else about the 00-04 vettes but those darn pop up head lights. One always gets stuck open. Lmao
this just looks amazing.
headlight problem = solved
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1264734193.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	130244  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

this just looks amazing.
headlight problem = solved
Now , that's sweet I do say. Much better for the headlights
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #51
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Bunch of traitors here! Lol. The only vette I'd take over a GT500 is the ZR1. But I would take a 2013 850hp Super Snake over the ZR1 any day, everyday. Personally Vettes are the only Chevy I'd touch, because they are honestly built quite nice apart from a few things. But mustangs have their flaws also. Real car guys respect other car guys. Until ricers come into play. Then it's a laughing game. Good luck on your purchase!
The ZR1 is pretty much a supercharged LS3, the LS7 is a better platform to build on.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The ZR1 is pretty much a supercharged LS3, the LS7 is a better platform to build on.
True. Buying stock though is what I'm getting at. If I had the money for those, that's what I would choose. The LS7 is a fantastic engine
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
True. Buying stock though is what I'm getting at. If I had the money for those, that's what I would choose. The LS7 is a fantastic engine

This is not a chevy fan site common..... think Mustang if your talking fast cars
think 2013 GT 500 Shelby 662 Hp what a beast , that's more horse power
then the ZR1 vette has 638 at a fraction of the cost what a bargain.

On the other hand one can make ANY car as fast as they want , the only limit
is your wallet... heck I could make my mustang faster than both of those if I chose to.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post

This is not a chevy fan site common..... think Mustang if your talking fast cars
think 2013 GT 500 Shelby 662 Hp what a beast , that's more horse power
then the ZR1 vette has 638 at a fraction of the cost what a bargain.

On the other hand one can make ANY car as fast as they want , the only limit
is your wallet... heck I could make my mustang faster than both of those if I chose to.
Where does the power stop? Lmao. How fast is fast enough. You can only go so fast on the public roadway. Lmao. I got to imagine that a 700 HP car is plenty fast.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #55
Staff
Regular
Staff

Depends on where you live and who you run with. And yes you can put together a 700hp ride out of a modular or pushrod for a pittance of the money just to get into a new GT500 or ZR1 vette. Forged motor, On3 turbo, built automatic all the goodies will see $10-$15k to do it right if you do it all yourself. And you'll put a solid 2-3 seconds on a stock 2014 GT500 in the 1/4 mile.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
This is not a chevy fan site common..... think Mustang if your talking fast cars think 2013 GT 500 Shelby 662 Hp what a beast , that's more horse power then the ZR1 vette has 638 at a fraction of the cost what a bargain. On the other hand one can make ANY car as fast as they want , the only limit is your wallet... heck I could make my mustang faster than both of those if I chose to.
I like Mustangs but I respect a fast/badass car when it's due...
There are people with LS7s with H/C/I making 600rwhp all motor. And the fact that it's much lighter than a GT500, you have to admit that is a badass car. I love Mustangs but I'm not a brand fanboy.

HID end all thread
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

There are guys with street 408 strokers making 600 to the wheels too for a FRACTION of the cost of a LS7 crate motor let alone the whole Z06 Vette...

This is why I will never buy a new car unless its a daily driver for gas mileage and the warranty (FIL works at Honda so I get a discount). I can go buy a clean roller and build up a car that will run a train on these new sports cars for 1/10th the price.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #58
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
There are guys with street 408 strokers making 600 to the wheels too for a FRACTION of the cost of a LS7 crate motor let alone the whole Z06 Vette... This is why I will never buy a new car unless its a daily driver for gas mileage and the warranty (FIL works at Honda so I get a discount). I can go buy a clean roller and build up a car that will run a train on these new sports cars for 1/10th the price.
Don't forget the aluminum frame and magnetic suspension... With the new '14s they have computerized rev matching for a perfect downshift/up shift every single time.... Some of these things you just can't put into an older car.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

And don't forget about reliability, take a motor and put a ton of work into it and you lose reliability. 505bhp on a stock motor is pretty amazing, and a few simple mods you are making power without sacrificing reliability.

HID end all thread
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol we could go back and forth all day. A properly maintained 408 will last forever but you aren't going to see many or any of those doing corner carving. They'll be setup for 1/4 racing with a stalled automatic and fat tires out back and completely annihilate just about anything they come across. For the rev matching... get some heel/toe pedals and manually control it. Bruce Grigg's 98 Cobra will take one of these new Vettes to school around a road course.

But I agree with the Vette you are paying for the whole car which is basically a Supercar. The Z06 fits all the Supercar criteria and is 1/4 the price if that.

For the GT500... I get mad at how much those things cost honestly. Even the new 5.0 costs too damn much for what it is. Too heavy and honestly should run a better 1/4 time than it does, the Terminator was a better car and it was almost a decade sooner. Hopefully the 2015 cars will be as light as the SN95s were, IRS from the 99-04 Cobras and the brilliant motor out of the 2011-up.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck with the purchase man. A corvette is the only other American made car that I like more than the mustang. The styling, the engine, everything signifies our best effort to be on the supercar map.
MyLittlePwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePwny View Post
Good luck with the purchase man. A corvette is the only other American made car that I like more than the mustang. The styling, the engine, everything signifies our best effort to be on the supercar map.
The Corvette is full of awesomeness and definitely an American supercar. The mustang is not a super car and thank goodness its not. The mustang is a pure pony car that is full of muscle and power. The everyday welfare and food recipient car. Lmao. Its raw, its sexy and fast. The mustang is the affordable sports like car that looks amazing, screams American, fast in a straight line all being almost half the cost of many base model Vettes.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Corvette is full of awesomeness and definitely an American supercar. The mustang is not a super car and thank goodness its not. The mustang is a pure pony car that is full of muscle and power. The everyday welfare and food recipient car. Lmao. Its raw, its sexy and fast. The mustang is the affordable sports like car that looks amazing, screams American, fast in a straight line all being almost half the cost of many base model Vettes.
You should get a part-time job in advertisement

Thats why behind the vette, the mustang is my second favorite American car...and for entirely different reasons. However, after looking at the prices of used vettes, wow that's tempting.

2001 5.7L vette with 48k miles for $17.9k, and this place also has a 2004 Audio A4 with 85k miles for $7.9k. Makes me want to call them and see if I can trade my pony for both and call it a day haha I'd have my winter beater and my fun car! I need to leave this thread asap wow dangerous
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePwny View Post

You should get a part-time job in advertisement

Thats why behind the vette, the mustang is my second favorite American car...and for entirely different reasons. However, after looking at the prices of used vettes, wow that's tempting.

2001 5.7L vette with 48k miles for $17.9k, and this place also has a 2004 Audio A4 with 85k miles for $7.9k. Makes me want to call them and see if I can trade my pony for both and call it a day haha I'd have my winter beater and my fun car! I need to leave this thread asap wow dangerous
You could even talk the person down I'm sure a bit. Perhaps 17k. That's almost no miles and if I'm not mistaken it has the LT1 engine. They should last 200k easy if not longer. The LT1 engine makes good torque numbers and easy to modify for more power should you want. Of course if you buy the vette you want be my little pony anymore. Lmao.

I could do some advertising. Lol
Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could even talk the person down I'm sure a bit. Perhaps 17k. That's almost no miles and if I'm not mistaken it has the LT1 engine. They should last 200k easy if not longer. The LT1 engine makes good torque numbers and easy to modify for more power should you want. Of course if you buy the vette you want be my little pony anymore. Lmao.

Yeah, cause how right now this v6 is my DD, and I'm NOT looking forward to New Jersey winters. The vette/audi would be such a better setup, although insurance would probably be a PITA for both.

Anyways, I need to come back to reality...enough vette hunting for me. I'll leave it to the OP for now haha Just kinda sucks that we have to drop 2-4k in our 3.7s to get like 50-100hp. It really makes me think the best way to go is just say and go FI, if anything at all.

/threadhijack off
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #65
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
You could even talk the person down I'm sure a bit. Perhaps 17k. That's almost no miles and if I'm not mistaken it has the LT1 engine. They should last 200k easy if not longer. The LT1 engine makes good torque numbers and easy to modify for more power should you want. Of course if you buy the vette you want be my little pony anymore. Lmao. I could do some advertising. Lol
LS1

HID end all thread
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

You are way off, 1996 was the last year for the LT in the Vette and all manual transmission 1996s got the LT4. LS1 started in 1997 for the Vette and 1998 for the Crapmarobirds.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #67
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
LS1
350hp 390tq

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Then on 05 they got the LS2 6.0 and then the LS3 in 08

HID end all thread
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LS1
My bad. Even better. Lol LS1. Not bad torque numbers for a car that was made in 01. So damn, The old LT1 engines must be pretty lane compared to the LS motors. Lol
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #69
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
My bad. Even better. Lol LS1. Not bad torque numbers for a car that was made in 01. So damn, The old LT1 engine must be pretty lane compared to the LS motors. Lol
The LT1 was still a good motor, just as easy to make power.

HID end all thread
Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #70
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Lt1/4 was the last true 350 iron small block. The LS1 is actually a 346, all aluminum but still a basic pushrod motor. That is the one thing Chevy and even Dodge is still doing right. Pushrod single cam motors with advanced electronics.

As for LT power, yeah they are easy to make power with too. The LT4 in my dads 96 Vette gets the **** out of its own way and that car is a blast. Its rated a good 65hp higher than the LT1 and you can tell lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion