Z06 or GTR or Stingray??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Z06 or GTR or Stingray???

Some of you know I will be switching car soon my 3 options thanks to the wifey is a 2009-2010 z06, 2009-2010 GTR or a new stingray?

I don't drag race just road course/ Shows and will like this to be my DD. What would u guys get??? Thank for the help
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The GTR is an amazing car with a bunch of technology designed for what you want to do, but it basically drives itself around the track...
I'd personally go with a Stingray, and if you can manage it get the Z51 Performance package.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Id get the stingray
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Def get the twin turbos and get the alpha 12 package
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah the gtr is sweet but I agree it practically drives and controls itself. Also heard theres a limiter to their hp/tq where if you switch it off you void the warranty and nissan refuses to work on it or be held reliable again. (Just what I was told)
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The 09-10 GTR's have weak transmissions. I would avoid them in a car that costs as much as those, unless you have a bit of money saved back for when it decides to stop working, then plan on investing $8,000+ into it.

For a track day car, a C6 Z06 with a nice set of tires is an absolute beast and would likely be several seconds ahead of a C7 Z51 on any road course.

The C7 would likely be a better everyday car, with a more limited potential than the C6 Z06.

If it were my money, C6 Z06.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Yeah the gtr is sweet but I agree it practically drives and controls itself. Also heard theres a limiter to their hp/tq where if you switch it off you void the warranty and nissan refuses to work on it or be held reliable again. (Just what I was told)
On the early GTR's if you used the launch control, after disabling VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control), they would immediately void your warranty.

The '12+ GTR's have real launch control and do not void any warranty or seem to have any of the issues that the early GTR's had with their transmissions.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The 09-10 GTR's have weak transmissions. I would avoid them in a car that costs as much as those, unless you have a bit of money saved back for when it decides to stop working, then plan on investing $8,000+ into it. For a track day car, a C6 Z06 with a nice set of tires is an absolute beast and would likely be several seconds ahead of a C7 Z51 on any road course. The C7 would likely be a better everyday car, with a more limited potential than the C6 Z06. If it were my money, C6 Z06.
That makes no sense. The base C7 has already been proved to handle nearly as well as the C6 Z06, the Z51 package is the equivalent of the Z06 (they just changed the name)... A C7 with Z51 should run circles around the C6 Z.

HID end all thread
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Some of you know I will be switching car soon my 3 options thanks to the wifey is a 2009-2010 z06, 2009-2010 GTR or a new stingray?

I don't drag race just road course/ Shows and will like this to be my DD. What would u guys get??? Thank for the help
Really? You ask a bunch of Mustang enthusiasts on a Mustang forum as to what Chevy or Ricer you should buy? Really?
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Really? You ask a bunch of Mustang enthusiasts on a Mustang forum as to what Chevy or Ricer you should buy? Really?
Based off that statement you are the definition of a fanboy. And I wouldn't call a GTR a ricer when it will demolish your car in every form of racing.

HID end all thread
Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Based off that statement you are the definition of a fanboy. And I wouldn't call a GTR a ricer when it will demolish your car in every form of racing.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
A GTR will indeed out perform (demolish is a moronic comparison) either of my two stock Mustangs, I never claimed otherwise. Call me what you may, but I haven't been a boy in over forty years. One of the problems with today's young people is that they have no loyalty to anything. One mph more and you will switch sides. You may also call me a racist, but to me any car (or motorcycle and I own a Yamaha and Canon cameras) from Japan is a ricer regardless of how well it performs. A 911 will also outperform any car I own, but I would not go to a Toyota forum to ask for opinions on it. It's called etiquette and brand loyalty. If you want to buy a another car, I couldn't be more happy for you, it just seemed silly to ask for advice from here. Now if you want advice on buying a Mustang, I'll be glad to help out...
Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

3 words: "General Car Discussion"... He posted this in an area where we talk about many cars other than simple brands, so it does sound like a good place to post this type of subject

You say there is a problem with todays young people about switching sides so easily... Have you ever thought that maybe that isn't the problem? Maybe the problem is that the older folk have a hard time letting go of their beloved brand. We live in a global market, where everyone can compete, and it very much is that. Competition, If no one switched sides then there would be no competition between the auto makers, meaning we would still be stuck with cars like the Pinto. I believe brand loyalty is just an excuse people may use when someone's car is better than their and they don't want to admit it... Survival of the fittest

Imagine that he did go to another online forum, such as the GTR forum or a Corvette forum... Obviously they are going to say that the car he should get is the one they all have. So by posting a list of 3 different cars on a different forum, it happens to be that he is part of a Mustang forum, he is eliminating that bias he may get from the others. Doing all of this while hoping he doesn't get any "butt hurt" emotions from the forum members that he is switching to a different car that better suits his needs.

The last 4 words of my previous point i put there on purpose, he is looking for a car that better suits his needs. We all have different wants and needs. His want is that he likes to road race, and the need is that it would be best with a car designed more for that area... He is simply asking us what our opinions are for a car that better suits his needs. Making that rude statement earlier is not helping the OP.

If you don't want to help OP all you have to do is keep scrolling.

HID end all thread
Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Gtr !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-80693565.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	131218  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1. 3 words: "General Car Discussion"... He posted this in an area where we talk about many cars other than simple brands, so it does sound like a good place to post this type of subject 2. You say there is a problem with todays young people about switching sides so easily... Have you ever thought that maybe that isn't the problem? Maybe the problem is that the older folk have a hard time letting go of their beloved brand. We live in a global market, where everyone can compete, and it very much is that. Competition, If no one switched sides then there would be no competition between the auto makers, meaning we would still be stuck with cars like the Pinto. I believe brand loyalty is just an excuse people may use when someone's car is better than their and they don't want to admit it... Survival of the fittest 3. Imagine that he did go to another online forum, such as the GTR forum or a Corvette forum... Obviously they are going to say that the car he should get is the one they all have. So by posting a list of 3 different cars on a different forum, it happens to be that he is part of a Mustang forum, he is eliminating that bias he may get from the others. Doing all of this while hoping he doesn't get any "butt hurt" emotions from the forum members that he is switching to a different car that better suits his needs. 4. The last 4 words of my previous point i put there on purpose, he is looking for a car that better suits his needs. We all have different wants and needs. His want is that he likes to road race, and the need is that it would be best with a car designed more for that area... He is simply asking us what our opinions are for a car that better suits his needs. Making that rude statement earlier is not helping the OP. If you don't want to help OP all you have to do is keep scrolling.
+1 .respond of the YEAR!!!! Very very well said and agree 100%

Ok so today after work I test drove a used 2010 gtr and it was amazing in every category except maintain which is a little expensive and very hard to do by other people other than nissan.

Tomorrow morning I will be going to Chevy to see a 2010 z06 that is a very good deal. As of today my wife loves the gtr over the others because she can drive it,, let see how it goes tomorrow with the Z.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That makes no sense. The base C7 has already been proved to handle nearly as well as the C6 Z06, the Z51 package is the equivalent of the Z06 (they just changed the name)... A C7 with Z51 should run circles around the C6 Z.
The C6 Z06 puts down at the tire what the C7 makes at the crank. So in a straight line, the C7 stands no chance.

Second, I said "a C6 Z06 with a nice set of tires" as in cup/track tires. Not the standard craptastic runflats. Something like the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. That would easily gain you several seconds on a road course over a stock Z06 and likely the equivalent or better handling numbers from a C7 Z51.

Honestly can't go wrong with either car.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
vette...I love how the gtr looks but they drive to smooth to me when I drove a friends.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The C6 Z06 puts down at the tire what the C7 makes at the crank. So in a straight line, the C7 stands no chance.

Second, I said "a C6 Z06 with a nice set of tires" as in cup/track tires. Not the standard craptastic runflats. Something like the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. That would easily gain you several seconds on a road course over a stock Z06 and likely the equivalent or better handling numbers from a C7 Z51.

Honestly can't go wrong with either car.
Ok, i get what you are saying...

But don't forget the tech advances in the new C7. Like the fact the chassis is 50% stronger yet much lighter. And the fact that they took a Front engine, rear drive car and got a 49/51% front to rear weight ratio. While the Z06 does make 75 more horsepower to the crank, we all know that horsepower isn't everything. Stock i believe the Z06 will still win, but the Stingray is a far better platform to build on.

HID end all thread
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
3 words: "General Car Discussion"... He posted this in an area where we talk about many cars other than simple brands, so it does sound like a good place to post this type of subject

You say there is a problem with todays young people about switching sides so easily... Have you ever thought that maybe that isn't the problem? Maybe the problem is that the older folk have a hard time letting go of their beloved brand. We live in a global market, where everyone can compete, and it very much is that. Competition, If no one switched sides then there would be no competition between the auto makers, meaning we would still be stuck with cars like the Pinto. I believe brand loyalty is just an excuse people may use when someone's car is better than their and they don't want to admit it... Survival of the fittest

Imagine that he did go to another online forum, such as the GTR forum or a Corvette forum... Obviously they are going to say that the car he should get is the one they all have. So by posting a list of 3 different cars on a different forum, it happens to be that he is part of a Mustang forum, he is eliminating that bias he may get from the others. Doing all of this while hoping he doesn't get any "butt hurt" emotions from the forum members that he is switching to a different car that better suits his needs.

The last 4 words of my previous point i put there on purpose, he is looking for a car that better suits his needs. We all have different wants and needs. His want is that he likes to road race, and the need is that it would be best with a car designed more for that area... He is simply asking us what our opinions are for a car that better suits his needs. Making that rude statement earlier is not helping the OP.

If you don't want to help OP all you have to do is keep scrolling.
My apologies to McQueen and the rest on this thread.

From the direction I entered the thread, I didn't realize the category (which is no excuse) in which it was posted and that was a definite oversight on my part. I didn't realize that there even was a General Car Discussion category. I stand corrected with plenty of egg on my face.

If the tables had been turned, I would have probably responded to someone as myself the same way as you. Bravo to you, Soccerluvr4.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
My apologies to McQueen and the rest on this thread.

From the direction I entered the thread, I didn't realize the category (which is no excuse) in which it was posted and that was a definite oversight on my part. I didn't realize that there even was a General Car Discussion category. I stand corrected with plenty of egg on my face.

If the tables had been turned, I would have probably responded to someone as myself the same way as you. Bravo to you, Soccerluvr4.
You are forgiven... This area is one of the less ventured areas on the forum.

HID end all thread
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If I was in the market this is what I would be initially thinking to myself ignoring cost.

GTR: excellent track car, turns a lot of heads, but I'm not sure about it for a DD. The way I look at all the electronic stuff is that it is just more to go wrong, and could be very difficult to fix.

Corvettes: I'm not totally up to speed on the numbers of the Z06 or the C7, but what I've seen of the reviews is that the C7 feels lightyears ahead of the C6. And it's newer, and as Barney's number one rule states, newer is always better.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
. get a mustang haha
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Lord NoMoney
Staff

OP are you getting rid of mustang?
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Tough choice! The C7 is sexy and new, but I wonder if everyone's boner for them will fade in a few years? The gtr is a bit older, but it has not lost any street cred and it is without a doubt one of the nicer cars on the road out there. Faster than 90% of what's out there, is street legal and has 4 seats. I'd be sold on that in long run. It's a tough choice though!
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Stingray would be the most fun.
GTR would be the best for performance though...
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Awfully expensive DD's. How about getting a Shelby GT500? How much is insurance going to run you? How far to work one way? How much in maintenance? What does an oil change cost you on the GTR? Will any warranty you have be void if you do the work yourself?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Awfully expensive DD's. How about getting a Shelby GT500? How much is insurance going to run you? How far to work one way? How much in maintenance? What does an oil change cost you on the GTR? Will any warranty you have be void if you do the work yourself?
Guy doesn't want a mustang. I don't blame him. Plus, let's be honest, if he cared about price, he would be asking between a Kia forte and A ford focus or something. I'm psyched for him. If I have a mustang it's only because I can't afford a Ferrari . Let's all be honest here . I love it for what it is, but I'd totally daily drive something Italian and 400 000$ lol
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Guy doesn't want a mustang. I don't blame him. Plus, let's be honest, if he cared about price, he would be asking between a Kia forte and A ford focus or something. I'm psyched for him. If I have a mustang it's only because I can't afford a Ferrari . Let's all be honest here . I love it for what it is, but I'd totally daily drive something Italian and 400 000$ lol
im gonna try to disagree with you that I wouldn't drive a Ferrari but I probably would. that doesn't mean that there isn't going to be a mustang at the house to flip **** in either tho lol gonna try my damndest to always have a mustang or two around
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
He is looking for a good road racing car... And lets be honest, the GT500 is not that good of a road racer lol.

HID end all thread
Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He is looking for a good road racing car... And lets be honest, the GT500 is not that good of a road racer lol.
+1 correct, I want a DD that would dominate the track (road course). My local Chevy dealer has 7 stingrays in stock ..... Tomorrow I will post my own quick review of the stingray vs a z06. The wife wants a stingray now just because she found out the roof comes off shhh woman!!!! Lol.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

100% the GTR.
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Test driving this silver bullet today at 1 let see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4056144381.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	131402  
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Silver is one of my favorite C6 colors

HID end all thread
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Z06 has my vote.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, The new Corvette Stingray is the most beautiful Corvette ever produced in my opinion. Hands down I would pick the Z06 or Stingray over the GTR. While the GTR may be a faster car , not everything in this world of cars has to do with the fastest car. The Z06 and Stingray are plenty fast. While the GTR is nice looking it fails to compare in looks to the Stingray. The Stingray is drop dead beautiful and will turn more heads and attract more attention then a GTR will.

If it were buying one, hands down would be the Corvette Stingray!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

« Mach 1 | RPM's »