RPM's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
RPM's

So I've asked several different people who have standard transmission cars (mostly sports cars) what Rpm's they shift at. I've looked online and some sites say that the optimal shift range is at 2000-2500 and some say 3000-3500. So just wanted to see what Rpm you guys are normally shifting at for daily driving. Also I know that the higher Rpm you shift at the worse the gas mileage is.. So does anyone know the best rpm to shift at for the optimal MPG (not that I get great gas mileage anyways.. Haha)
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
In my old 2000 v6 and my 03 mach 1 I shift at around 2000 and I'm getting around 20 mpgs in mach
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
I shift around 2200-2400
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
I shift around 2200-2400
Any idea on the MPG your getting?
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,209
I use 3/4 throttle until 1500 rpm, then shift and do it again. I keep my rpm's between 750 - 1500. I am currently pulling down 27.2 mpg average (30/70 city/highway) over 2500 miles on my 3.7 V6 with 2.73 gears.

In my Z28, I floor it and shift at 1500 rpm, I average 23 mpg in it. Not bad for a big cammed LS1 with 430rwhp. I also take off in second and third gear in town.

In my Talon, I use 1/2 throttle and shift at 1600 rpm, right before boost starts building, I pull down about 24 mpg with it.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
Any idea on the MPG your getting?
When I drive with patience and shift at the rpms I stated I get around 17 city and around 21-22 highway
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
When I drive with patience and shift at the rpms I stated I get around 17 city and around 21-22 highway
What gears do you have?

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I use 3/4 throttle until 1500 rpm, then shift and do it again. I keep my rpm's between 750 - 1500. I am currently pulling down 27.2 mpg average (30/70 city/highway) over 2500 miles on my 3.7 V6 with 2.73 gears. In my Z28, I floor it and shift at 1500 rpm, I average 23 mpg in it. Not bad for a big cammed LS1 with 430rwhp. I also take off in second and third gear in town. In my Talon, I use 1/2 throttle and shift at 1600 rpm, right before boost starts building, I pull down about 24 mpg with it.
Dang.. That's some pretty good MPG numbers lol
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
I have 4'10s
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
I shift the same rpms as Venemouz, but I get worse mpg city, those 4.10s really do help city mpg if you can keep your foot out of it.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
XSlashDashX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silsbee
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,224
I shift at 2000 rpm and I get 23-24 MPG in my 98 GT.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
I shift around 2500 rpms and get mid to high teens city. I want to get some new gears though
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
I shift around 2500 rpms and get mid to high teens city. I want to get some new gears though
Don't we all lol
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
Because my exhaust is so loud and the cops around here like to give tickets, I shift at about 1700 when I'm in town. On the highway it's more like 2500 to 2700. I get about 18mpg with 3.90's
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I use 3/4 throttle until 1500 rpm, then shift and do it again. I keep my rpm's between 750 - 1500. I am currently pulling down 27.2 mpg average (30/70 city/highway) over 2500 miles on my 3.7 V6 with 2.73 gears.
Did you mean to put 70 mpg or is that a typo?
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
Did you mean to put 70 mpg or is that a typo?
Haha that's what I was wondering as well
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
For the best possible MPG's, I usually shift at 2000-2200RPM. That also depends on the car, powerband, and terrain. It's very hilly where I live and sometimes I need at least 2000rpm to get up a steep hill without lugging down the engine.

That being said, my '04 Cobra never seemed to have any issues under 2000RPM up hills- nor did it get good MPG's lol.

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
Did you mean to put 70 mpg or is that a typo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
Haha that's what I was wondering as well

I assume you are referring to this, (30/70 city/highway)?

That's my daily drive, 30% city/70% highway. Not mpg.

I get about 22-25 in town, and around 30 on the highway with cruise set at 62mph.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
For the best possible MPG's, I usually shift at 2000-2200RPM. That also depends on the car, powerband, and terrain. It's very hilly where I live and sometimes I need at least 2000rpm to get up a steep him without lugging down the engine. That being said, my '04 Cobra never seemed to have any issues under 2000RPM up hills- nor did it get good MPG's lol. Shane
None of our cars get the greatest mpgs no matter what we do.. But then again, who bought their mustang for the gas mileage? Lol
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
UGAKIDD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Region: Georgia
Posts: 126
Im getting about 21 shifting right at 3000 I was getting 17 . Dont know if it had anything to do with it but was getting 263 miles a tank unhooked my battety over night and now im showing 330 miles to empty anyone know why maybe lol?
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
It's not just about the rpm shift. It's about maintaining speed at an avg cumulative mpg that's high.

I can avg 70% highway and 30% city (well suburb) 25mpg over a full tank. During highway drives I can with some careful planning avg 31mpg by pressing a bit more gas on downslopes to build momentum on the upslopes. I feather the gas on the upslopes to minimize the momentum loss. I coast with only the barest feathering of the clutch when I can.

In city driving I accelerate briskly enough to get to 40mph and then pop 6th gear and avg easily 33-34mpg by managing the gas and the distance from the car in front. Also I scout ahead and see if the light is green, yellow or red. I step on the gas if the green is an old green. I let the gas go and engine brake for the up coming red. This minimizes stop time and gas required to get back to 40mph from a stop. If its red I also engine brake trying to time it to a green before I have to stop.

Slow acceleration and early shifting may not net you better mpg cuz the best mpg these cars can get is 40-45mph. If you spend longer distance to get up to speed then you have less distance to avg higher mpg.

That being said... I avg 18.8mpg because its a fuhking 5.0 Stang not a Prius and I tend to drive it like one!
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
It's not just about the rpm shift. It's about maintaining speed at an avg cumulative mpg that's high. I can avg 70% highway and 30% city (well suburb) 25mpg over a full tank. During highway drives I can with some careful planning avg 31mpg by pressing a bit more gas on downslopes to build momentum on the upslopes. I feather the gas on the upslopes to minimize the momentum loss. I coast with only the barest feathering of the clutch when I can. In city driving I accelerate briskly enough to get to 40mph and then pop 6th gear and avg easily 33-34mpg by managing the gas and the distance from the car in front. Also I scout ahead and see if the light is green, yellow or red. I step on the gas if the green is an old green. I let the gas go and engine brake for the up coming red. This minimizes stop time and gas required to get back to 40mph from a stop. If its red I also engine brake trying to time it to a green before I have to stop. Slow acceleration and early shifting may not net you better mpg cuz the best mpg these cars can get is 40-45mph. If you spend longer distance to get up to speed then you have less distance to avg higher mpg. That being said... I avg 18.8mpg because its a fuhking 5.0 Stang not a Prius and I tend to drive it like one!
Well said.. Thanks for the info.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
UGAKIDD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Region: Georgia
Posts: 126
Good info
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 249
Just get to a sweet spot throttle position that keeps your RPMs low and maintain it as much as possible. If cruise control pegged throttle position/RPMs instead of speed, that would give you the best mpg. But it doesn't, so you just have to keep your foot at the same position no matter if you're going up a hill, down a hill, or on flat ground. At least that's what the hypermilers at ecomodder say. I think one guy with a newer mustang was getting over 40 mpg highway using some advanced techniques.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
UGAKIDD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Region: Georgia
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
Just get to a sweet spot throttle position that keeps your RPMs low and maintain it as much as possible. If cruise control pegged throttle position/RPMs instead of speed, that would give you the best mpg. But it doesn't, so you just have to keep your foot at the same position no matter if you're going up a hill, down a hill, or on flat ground. At least that's what the hypermilers at ecomodder say. I think one guy with a newer mustang was getting over 40 mpg highway using some advanced techniques.
40 mpg with a 5.0? Must be nice
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAKIDD7 View Post

40 mpg with a 5.0? Must be nice
Lol windows up. AC off and drive with two Double Gulps from 7-11. That should plus 1mpg or two
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Luke02GTmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlestown
Region: Indiana
Posts: 278
I shift around 3 grand cuz I love the sound of the exhaust 😎
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAKIDD7 View Post

40 mpg with a 5.0? Must be nice
Sorry, I forgot to mention it was a 3.7. But over 40 mpg is still a significant improvement over the V6's EPA ratings.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
I shift around 3 grand cuz I love the sound of the exhaust dde0e
I can vouch for that as well.. Lol
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
None of our cars get the greatest mpgs no matter what we do.. But then again, who bought their mustang for the gas mileage? Lol
This is true.. "Good" MPG is simply a plus if you're able to get it- not a main concern.

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
UGAKIDD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Region: Georgia
Posts: 126
Haha yea I have a heavy foot but still get 22 mpg in my 07 gt
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAKIDD7 View Post
Haha yea I have a heavy foot but still get 22 mpg in my 07 gt
22mpg? Well hell all that means is your foot ain't heavy enough! Lol
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
That 4.6lbs pushing down on the pedal of that 4.6L engine makes a difference! Lol
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
I rev it to about 6400 in my Mach full throttle and power shift second. Currently getting no miles per gallon. Nah. If I'm. Eco driving I use very little throttle input and keep it below 2k rpm.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
UGAKIDD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Athens
Region: Georgia
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

22mpg? Well hell all that means is your foot ain't heavy enough! Lol
Haha I guess so. So should mine have a stock rev limiter?
UGAKIDD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Lulz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3244911288.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	132796  
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:55 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.