Need a suggestion for a remote starter please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Need a suggestion for a remote starter please

I posted this on the Ford Fusion Forum, but they aren't near as quick to respond as my Mustang brethren. So I thought I try my hand here too.

We just bought a 2012 SEL NAV Fusion as my wife's DD. She starts her day early and it's already in the teens. Looking for suggestions for a remote starter.

The local Best Buy has Viper one way system for $199 installed, unless it needs anything extra. I think I'd like a 2 way so she can start it at work at night, she often works 12 hour days and leaves after 8pm.

What precautions should we take, how can they ruin the car. What are they actually doing when they install one. Our new to us Fusion has all the bells and whistles, I don't want them messing up the electronics.

Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Not trying to derail your thread but what's the difference in one & two way?
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
Not trying to derail your thread but what's the difference in one & two way?
A one way starts the car, but you have no feedback as to whether it really started. A 2 way sends a signal back confirming the car is running and the doors are locked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
As long as they know what they're doing you'll be ok. I'm just hoping your not letting bestbuy do it. Take it to a shop that.does alarms. doesn't matter if you buy it thete just go to a shop. Even check out their prices. Had a 2 way on my caddy and it was shweet. Bye bye frozen inside of car mornings
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
I posted this on the Ford Fusion Forum, but they aren't near as quick to respond as my Mustang brethren. So I thought I try my hand here too. We just bought a 2012 SEL NAV Fusion as my wife's DD. She starts her day early and it's already in the teens. Looking for suggestions for a remote starter. The local Best Buy has Viper one way system for $199 installed, unless it needs anything extra. I think I'd like a 2 way so she can start it at work at night, she often works 12 hour days and leaves after 8pm. What precautions should we take, how can they ruin the car. What are they actually doing when they install one. Our new to us Fusion has all the bells and whistles, I don't want them messing up the electronics. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Dave,
I purchased a remote start for my wife's CRV for Christmas last year from a shop in Lehighton and had them handle the install. I googled "how to install a remote start" and they were the first place that popped up. I know it is a haul to Lehighton but they did a great job. I did pay a pretty penny. I think I paid around $400 but it has a lifetime warranty so if anything happens, that place will handle it at no charge. The remote works up to 300. They did a great install. The only thing you see is a receiver on the upper part of the windshield. I was going to attempt the install but with all the modern electronics and bypassing the alarm, I thought it was a better idea to take it to a shop.
Hope this helps.
Kyle
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I would pay the extra coin and have Ford do it. At least you know they won't hack your wiring up. It's by far one of the best mods you could ever do.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
Dave, I purchased a remote start for my wife's CRV for Christmas last year from a shop in Lehighton and had them handle the install. I googled "how to install a remote start" and they were the first place that popped up. I know it is a haul to Lehighton but they did a great job. I did pay a pretty penny. I think I paid around $400 but it has a lifetime warranty so if anything happens, that place will handle it at no charge. The remote works up to 300. They did a great install. The only thing you see is a receiver on the upper part of the windshield. I was going to attempt the install but with all the modern electronics and bypassing the alarm, I thought it was a better idea to take it to a shop. Hope this helps. Kyle
Sorry, remote works up to 300 yards and they do sell a more powerful remote. The place is called Mobile Edge in Lehighton.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
A one way starts the car, but you have no feedback as to whether it really started. A 2 way sends a signal back confirming the car is running and the doors are locked.
thank you for that
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I posted this on the Ford Fusion Forum, but they aren't near as quick to respond as my Mustang brethren. So I thought I try my hand here too. We just bought a 2012 SEL NAV Fusion as my wife's DD. She starts her day early and it's already in the teens. Looking for suggestions for a remote starter. The local Best Buy has Viper one way system for $199 installed, unless it needs anything extra. I think I'd like a 2 way so she can start it at work at night, she often works 12 hour days and leaves after 8pm. What precautions should we take, how can they ruin the car. What are they actually doing when they install one. Our new to us Fusion has all the bells and whistles, I don't want them messing up the electronics. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
I would say go for it, I would recommend for sure getting a two way. They are so much better. I would also recommend best buy install
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses. I will check the local pro shops, or maybe follow Kris's advice and travel to Lehighton. I like the idea of Ford doing it, if they will.

Right now I don't even have the car. We've only had it 17 days and last night it left us Found On the Roadside Dead, not lol.

Took our first long trip in it, my wife only drives 1.5 miles to work. Took my wife to a migraine Dr for a morphine shot, very bad headache. Coming home on a a highway at 65mph in 22 degree weather the CEL comes on, car starts stuttering and temp gauge is pegged! :0. I immediately pulled over and shut her down. Here is the strange thing, engine not too hot to touch, radiator hose barely warm, opened radiator overflow, no steam, in 22 degree temp. Then 45 minutes later while waiting for the tow truck turn the key and temp gauge is still pegged.

I'm hoping a bad sensor. Other than that some sort of water flow block, or water pump failure? Mars no sense. But if it was really that hot, I don't even want the car, I'm afraid of damage that may have been done. But I shut her down ASAP as I saw it.

Only good thing is 100% under warranty. I called them today, but they are swamped for the holiday and didn't get to it. 2.5 I4 engine, supposed to be very reliable. We will see.

Can't take the Cobra for Thanksgiving because of East Coast storm. She's staying put in the garage.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Is remote start an option on those cars? My wife has a new taurus for work that has remote start ... if so, maybe you can buy the OEM parts and plug and play? Just a thought
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion