Chrylser 300 3.5 v6 ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Chrylser 300 3.5 v6 ?

Any thoughts? We are looking for a more family friendly car.. Any other cars you might recommend..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
I had a SRT8 300 and still miss it. Enormous trunk, good leg room front and rear. Better rear seat headroom than Charger, due to curved roof line. Friends with 3.5 found performance ample but you may like the hemi if use will see frequent highway with comparable mpg.
Google "stuck in park" which describes a two bit shifter problem depending on year in consideration.
CrownVic/Marquis are good choices too.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I always recommend wagons to people who need practicality. They are so underrated and they're perfect for families. I absolutely love my Mazda 6 wagon. You should look at the dodge magnums too. Wagons just offer so much. An srt 8 magnum is sick. I would also love a cts wagon. Especially a cts-v wagon! :3
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I always recommend wagons to people who need practicality. They are so underrated and they're perfect for families. I absolutely love my Mazda 6 wagon. You should look at the dodge magnums too. Wagons just offer so much. An srt 8 magnum is sick. I would also love a cts wagon. Especially a cts-v wagon! :3
Yeah but my girl really likes the 300s so I don't think I wanna go anything to foreign.. Also most srt8s are way too costy.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just make sure that you get one that isn't too old or has too many miles on it.

Chryslers seem to have a bad habit of falling apart...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Just make sure that you get one that isn't too old or has too many miles on it. Chryslers seem to have a bad habit of falling apart...
How many is too many on a Chrysler? I'm used to fords that go forever
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 12-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't keep one past the warranty period. Lol
Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I wouldn't keep one past the warranty period. Lol
Well that's not good lol
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Over the past few years my dad has owned a Challenger SRT8 and a Charger R/T. Both fully loaded and for those who haven't been in a late model Chrysler/Dodge don't know what they are talking about. They are very nice cars and we haven't had any reliability issues. The only maintenance is oil changes and gas. People who say that they aren't reliable are just going of what Chrysler used to be. By biggest advice is to get the premium stereo, they are very impressive.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Chrysler' s build quality is unchanged since the mid 70's...

Have you considered a Mercury Marauder Sixpac?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Chrysler' s build quality is unchanged since the mid 70's... Have you considered a Mercury Marauder Sixpac?
Though about it.. But idk..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 12-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Chryslers build quality has done nothing but get better, especially in recent years.

The 300/Charger/Magnum/Challenger (LX platform) are mostly built from Mercedes E-class and S-class components. Same with the 5 spd auto behind most of the Hemi lineup.

The LX cars are solid.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Chryslers build quality has done nothing but get better, especially in recent years.

The 300/Charger/Magnum/Challenger (LX platform) are mostly built from Mercedes E-class and S-class components. Same with the 5 spd auto behind most of the Hemi lineup.

The LX cars are solid.
+1. All makes have problems of one kind or another. The 3.5 is known to use oil(not burn). Not a big deal in my opinion. Have your girl drive all mentioned here and make her choice.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Any thoughts? We are looking for a more family friendly car.. Any other cars you might recommend..
Why don't you wait for Mustang to come out with their four-door version?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I now this kind of goes against the thread but a Chevy Tahoe. We have had two over the past sixteen years and the only reason we sold the 05 was because my dad wanted something newer. Now we have a 2012 fully loaded which is really nice, but just a thought

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a fan of my wife's GMC Terrain. Cheap, great standard options, and good mpg's.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My wife Owns a 2009 Dodge Charger with the 3.5 H.O. she has 86 thousand miles on it no shakes or rattles great quality car. For a family gotta say the 300 or the charger is the way to go. We take all or vacations in it there is PLENTY of trunk space and leg room for all. Just be sure it has the 5 speed Trans. I have lowered hers 1.5 inches and did the diablo 93 tune whole different beast. your not gonna win any drag races but grewat all around car.
kript2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
There are so many options out there! I have never had a good experience with a chrysler. I know people have had good experiences, but I continue to hear about issues.

The departments I know who use chargers hate them, and have terrible issues getting them serviced. What the Crown Vic's needed after years, these are needing after 20 some thousand miles. The two mechanics I know both detest them, when the second engine blew on a calibre I know, he refused to put the engine back in. He replaced it once by owner request with stock motor, and when that went, he refused to do it unless they changed it lol.

There are a lot of decent sedans out there. For FR layout, you will find more options as luxury cars than basic, but I'd just suggest narrowing down two you like with the charger/300, then look at reliability for the three, cross off the weakest, and have her decide which one she likes better.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
There are so many options out there! I have never had a good experience with a chrysler. I know people have had good experiences, but I continue to hear about issues. The departments I know who use chargers hate them, and have terrible issues getting them serviced. What the Crown Vic's needed after years, these are needing after 20 some thousand miles. The two mechanics I know both detest them, when the second engine blew on a calibre I know, he refused to put the engine back in. He replaced it once by owner request with stock motor, and when that went, he refused to do it unless they changed it lol. There are a lot of decent sedans out there. For FR layout, you will find more options as luxury cars than basic, but I'd just suggest narrowing down two you like with the charger/300, then look at reliability for the three, cross off the weakest, and have her decide which one she likes better.
A big issuer with the newer vehicles is the running e85 and using 100s of gallons before the number of miles get up there..

There is a very clean 300c with 100k miles but it does have the bigger V6.. 3.5.. So I'm not sure... It wouldn't be racking up a whole hell of a lot of miles...
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The chargers most forces use are not intercepter models.. so beating the hell out of a car day in and day out thats not made to handle it will not hold up to the abuse. Dodge makes a charger intercepter for this reason just most departments are to cheap to by them. They buy the base models and have them converted to their needs thats why they have so many problem. Our Cheif of police has a 2012 that is just a base coverted and tuned just to save money.. Look up the Charger intercepter and you can see the Difference in the cars. For a family who isn't racing or chasing bad guy with them they hold up pretty good and are very comfortable.

There are lots of good family sedans out there. Just giving my $.02 being i have ownd a charger for the last 4 years.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
A big issuer with the newer vehicles is the running e85 and using 100s of gallons before the number of miles get up there..

There is a very clean 300c with 100k miles but it does have the bigger V6.. 3.5.. So I'm not sure... It wouldn't be racking up a whole hell of a lot of miles...
We Get between 28-30 MPG with the 3.5
kript2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My Dad has the 300 3.5 and my brother has the 300C Hemi and they are both very nice. The one my brother owns has all the bells and whistles and is completely loaded. Beats stereo very nice. I would get that one if the budget allows it is a lot of car for the money. Also, The new 300c 3.5 has a wacky trans shifter and if the battery dies you are screwed. Happened to my dad and it is all electronic and locked out. Also, the 3.5 has had a water pump leak and power steering issues since brand new. It only has a few thousand miles on it and he got it in July. My brother had one issue with the headliner I think and they replaced it and had to take the windshield out to replace it. Both love their cars. The interior and options in the Hemi C is much nicer.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
My Dad has the 300 3.5 and my brother has the 300C Hemi and they are both very nice. The one my brother owns has all the bells and whistles and is completely loaded. Beats stereo very nice. I would get that one if the budget allows it is a lot of car for the money. Also, The new 300c 3.5 has a wacky trans shifter and if the battery dies you are screwed. Happened to my dad and it is all electronic and locked out. Also, the 3.5 has had a water pump leak and power steering issues since brand new. It only has a few thousand miles on it and he got it in July. My brother had one issue with the headliner I think and they replaced it and had to take the windshield out to replace it. Both love their cars. The interior and options in the Hemi C is much nicer.
Great points here.

If you check out JDPower, of the initial quality, the 300 ranks third for full size cars. In the past few years, chrysler has really been trying hard to get buyers- they don't want to go bankrupt a 3rd time.

But, if you checkout JDPower for dependability, there is not one single chrysler. No chryslers, jeeps, or dodges.

Mileage is subjective, but just browsing Fuelly, they huddle around 20 mpg average. One is at 30, one at 28, a couple 27, the rest below. If you look at Toyota, the Corollas have been averaging over 30 since the 1997 year-it was 29.9... I am not saying Toyota is the right car for you, I am just imploring you to check out all the options.

( An impulsive friend of mind rented a 200 for a trip. He was used to his 1990s hyundai. Yes, it was an upgrade- he went out and looked at them, and was ready to buy. He loved it and wouldn't believe a word I said. I begged him to do me just one favor: Go look at the competition, and tell me if it's really what you think. He decided against the chrysler.)

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have found the Charger/300 models to be way too much of a barge in handling. New, I would look at a Flex. If you can find a good 08-09 Taurus, I would highly recommend that you try it.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
I have found the Charger/300 models to be way too much of a barge in handling. New, I would look at a Flex. If you can find a good 08-09 Taurus, I would highly recommend that you try it.
On the subject of handling, have you ever driven a 300/Charger and a newer Taurus?

The Taurus pushes and rolls like a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet.

The 300/Charger aren't race cars but for what they are, they handle well enough, especially in V8 form. You would have to step into a Caddy CTS, Pontiac G8 or BMW 535 for a comparable size car that handles as well or better.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

On the subject of handling, have you ever driven a 300/Charger and a newer Taurus?

The Taurus pushes and rolls like a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet.

The 300/Charger aren't race cars but for what they are, they handle well enough, especially in V8 form. You would have to step into a Caddy CTS, Pontiac G8 or BMW 535 for a comparable size car that handles as well or better.
Wow! Holy crap. I always forget about the G8.

Get a Pontiac G8 lol

I couldn't comment on long term. I have only rented chryslers. When we go to NAIAS, we rent a car, and I always say let's get this or that, at least we know it will be decent. We then end up getting the chrysler, thinking we will definitely find SOMETHING we like about it. The avenger we had last year, the charger before that, and the caliber before that, were all sub par in the basics. But five hours driving in it left nothing to be desired, but was not absolutely terrible.

Basically, I have limited experience with drive quality, but the other trade offs aren't worth finding out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion