Cheating Emissions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Cheating Emissions

I just received that lovely letter that tells me, i need to have my baby tested.

In Illinois, we only have the OBD testing, no sniff test.

Now with that said, I've got a 2002 Gt with offroad X pipe, and a 93 race tune from bama; with the O2 sensors turned off.

How do I pass this fellas. Will switching the car back to stock, and getting some MIL eliminators help me get through this test? Any other ways to pass? I will not be putting cats on, unless absolutely needed.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I found the following on the Illinois emission testing website. I don't know if I would gamble going in there with no cats. They might make you install some at the very least before passing you. In Wisconsin they test every other year. How often do you test? Is this your first time you've had to get this car tested?

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/tampering.html
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, this is the first time i've had to test the car. The kid before me had somehow gotten it to pass no problems. But i'm not sure how he did it. They make us test every two years here. That's interesting info you posted. I had no idea they can fail you for an aftermarket turbo or supercharger.

I've got no problem putting on some cats if that's the only way they'll let me pass. However, i know theres gotta be ways to cheat the system. I know they don't do a visual inspection or anything; just the plug in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
I just received that lovely letter that tells me, i need to have my baby tested.

In Illinois, we only have the OBD testing, no sniff test.

Now with that said, I've got a 2002 Gt with offroad X pipe, and a 93 race tune from bama; with the O2 sensors turned off.

How do I pass this fellas. Will switching the car back to stock, and getting some MIL eliminators help me get through this test? Any other ways to pass? I will not be putting cats on, unless absolutely needed.
As of right now, your 93 Race tune is going to have the O2 Sensors shut off. That being said, your O2's won't be "ready" which will most likely cause you to fail. Having us turn the O2 sensors back on and installing a set of MIL Eliminators might work. The Bama team can work with you to create a "emissions" friendly tune. Just give them a call and we'll do our best to help you!

Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
As of right now, your 93 Race tune is going to have the O2 Sensors shut off. That being said, your O2's won't be "ready" which will most likely cause you to fail. Having us turn the O2 sensors back on and installing a set of MIL Eliminators might work. The Bama team can work with you to create a "emissions" friendly tune. Just give them a call and we'll do our best to help you!

Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

This would be great if you guys could tune for that. I'll give them a call closer to when i pull the car out for spring. If worse comes to worse, would switching back to the stock tune, and hooking up the MIL eliminators do the trick?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
This would be great if you guys could tune for that. I'll give them a call closer to when i pull the car out for spring. If worse comes to worse, would switching back to the stock tune, and hooking up the MIL eliminators do the trick?
Yeah, definitely. Reach out to the Bama team when you're getting closer to Inspection and we will help you out. If we turn your O2 sensors back on and you go with a set of MIL's, that should definitely do the trick!

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion