Self Driving cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jeremy.baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Omaha
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 89
Self Driving cars?

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on some of the car companies developing a self driving car.
Jeremy.baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
I think it will be good since the majority of people can't seem to drive nowadays... My friend is actually legally blind (can see enough to function fine by himself, but sometimes its hard) and he has actually been following the research of cars that can drive themselves.

I think its a great idea, as long as they make that an "option" and don't stop producing cars where the driver is in full control... Like sports cars
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I think it will be good since the majority of people can't seem to drive nowadays... My friend is actually legally blind (can see enough to function fine by himself, but sometimes its hard) and he has actually been following the research of cars that can drive themselves.

I think its a great idea, as long as they make that an "option" and don't stop producing cars where the driver is in full control... Like sports cars
Like in iRobot
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Like in iRobot
Pretty much just like that. But make people pass a super comprehensive driving test before they can change it to driver control. Nothing like the skimpy driving test we have now.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 688
Soccers right real people can't drive for ****. At least robots won't be dicks and speed up as soon as they see you put your turn signal to get in the lane


Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Soccers right real people can't drive for ****. At least robots won't be dicks and speed up as soon as they see you put your turn signal to get in the lane


Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
And the fact that if all cars are controlled by a computer they will all be at the same speed on any road, which means no suddenly braking for no reason, it will be perfectly smooth cruising. And since computers will be in control then they should be able to increase the speed of them, leading you to arrive at your destination quicker.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
And the fact that if all cars are controlled by a computer they will all be at the same speed on any road, which means no suddenly braking for no reason, it will be perfectly smooth cruising. And since computers will be in control then they should be able to increase the speed of them, leading you to arrive at your destination quicker.
You say that now but when your self controlled Bullitt won't go past the limit your going to be so damn bored your going to regret mentioning it. When it comes to it I only approve self driving taxis and public transportation
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
clflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Barling
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Like in iRobot
iLove that movie. Seen it like 20 times, never gets old.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
You say that now but when your self controlled Bullitt won't go past the limit your going to be so damn bored your going to regret mentioning it. When it comes to it I only approve self driving taxis and public transportation
But would we still need taxi drivers?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
You say that now but when your self controlled Bullitt won't go past the limit your going to be so damn bored your going to regret mentioning it. When it comes to it I only approve self driving taxis and public transportation
Except it will have the ability to manually control it.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
iLove that movie. Seen it like 20 times, never gets old.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------



But would we still need taxi drivers?
No just type the address in the GPS and off it goes. Buses already have stops so that helps. But we need to be able to drive our own cars. Wtf is the point of owning one. Might as well have those tubes like in futurama
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
clflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Barling
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
No just type the address in the GPS and off it goes. Buses already have stops so that helps. But we need to be able to drive our own cars. Wtf is the point of owning one. Might as well have those tubes like in futurama
Hey that first episode when he slams face first into that wall lol. Yea well thats a lot of jobs that will be lost. Maybe in 20 years when the economy is(hopefully) better.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
I just fear that they can't account for every driving situation. We can't (now at least) give a computer judgement and common sense. It just does what it is programmed to do. If I tree were to fall in the road or the vehicle were to suddenly start to slide on ice, I don't know how confident if be in the car driving itself.
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I just fear that they can't account for every driving situation. We can't (now at least) give a computer judgement and common sense. It just does what it is programmed to do. If I tree were to fall in the road or the vehicle were to suddenly start to slide on ice, I don't know how confident if be in the car driving itself.



you make a very good point. Also what if some super smart ahole hacks them


Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
Hey that first episode when he slams face first into that wall lol. Yea well thats a lot of jobs that will be lost. Maybe in 20 years when the economy is(hopefully) better.
People are losing jobs left and right. There's this machine that makes burgers so bye bye McDonald's employees that want $15 an hour
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
clflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Barling
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I just fear that they can't account for every driving situation. We can't (now at least) give a computer judgement and common sense. It just does what it is programmed to do. If I tree were to fall in the road or the vehicle were to suddenly start to slide on ice, I don't know how confident if be in the car driving itself.
I imagine it would be the same as it is now. Those cars that have the automatic stop when theyre about to hit? But the ice thing got me. Maybe it will recognize the temperature and the increased chances of ice on the roads and slow down...
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Think, we already have cars that parallel park themselves, and there won't be the whole sudden braking thing since all the cars will be in sync with each other. But there will be sensors that can detect all the stuff in the road and then send a signal to a master computer and then all other cars re-route.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
SixBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mount Rainier, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Think, we already have cars that parallel park themselves, and there won't be the whole sudden braking thing since all the cars will be in sync with each other. But there will be sensors that can detect all the stuff in the road and then send a signal to a master computer and then all other cars re-route.
But computer doesn't have the sense to pick "the lesser of two evils." Say you are riding along in these autonomous cars along a cliff side. To your left is a grassy field. To your right is a steep cliff. As your car comes around a corner, you find that a car has stalled in the middle of the road. Your car can "see" the car, and can see that there is no obstacles to your left and right. How will it know which to choose?

And it's also totally plausible that drunk driving will rise. If you're sitting there saying "hey, my car drives myself," then there's much less incentive not to get sh*t-faced. Unless automakers also install breathalyzers and make you blow your car every time you want to drive.

I think it's all just a way for automakers to say "hey, look what I can do!"

And people thought that "the driver's experience" was lost after manuals fell out of fashion. Lol This is the next level. Next stop is teleportation man.
__________________
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post

But computer doesn't have the sense to pick "the lesser of two evils." Say you are riding along in these autonomous cars along a cliff side. To your left is a grassy field. To your right is a steep cliff. As your car comes around a corner, you find that a car has stalled in the middle of the road. Your car can "see" the car, and can see that there is no obstacles to your left and right. How will it know which to choose?

And it's also totally plausible that drunk driving will rise. If you're sitting there saying "hey, my car drives myself," then there's much less incentive not to get sh*t-faced. Unless automakers also install breathalyzers and make you blow your car every time you want to drive.

I think it's all just a way for automakers to say "hey, look what I can do!"

And people thought that "the driver's experience" was lost after manuals fell out of fashion. Lol This is the next level. Next stop is teleportation man.
These new self driving cars are going to use a magnetic strip in the center of the road to let the cars know exactly where the are on the road. The cars will also communicate with one another. The only risk is cars on the road that don't communicate like our mustangs. I think self driving cars are good in a scene of takeing people who don't care and would rather text and call then drive, off the road. But are current cars aren't going anywhere and it will take decades to put the magnetic strips on each and every road. I think it's also going to cut down traffic and allow speed limits to be raised on highways and interstates. The stupid thing is that means the future mustang will drive themselves and good luck porformance modding that computerized mess lol.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
These new self driving cars are going to use a magnetic strip in the center of the road to let the cars know exactly where the are on the road. The cars will also communicate with one another. The only risk is cars on the road that don't communicate like our mustangs. I think self driving cars are good in a scene of takeing people who don't care and would rather text and call then drive, off the road. But are current cars aren't going anywhere and it will take decades to put the magnetic strips on each and every road. I think it's also going to cut down traffic and allow speed limits to be raised on highways and interstates. The stupid thing is that means the future mustang will drive themselves and good luck porformance modding that computerized mess lol.
It won't happen I can guarantee it. Oil and insurance companies won't allow it
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mosified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
I would just have my brain transplanted into the 2014 Cobra Jet...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
__________________
96 GT, P.I. Swap, X-PYPE, 4.10's, BAMA Chip.
Mosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
clflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Barling
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
I would just have my brain transplanted into the 2014 Cobra Jet...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
You sir, just won this thread.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
iLove that movie. Seen it like 20 times, never gets old.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------



But would we still need taxi drivers?
Sure - that's where Johnny Cab comes in.
Attached Images
 
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mosified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
#CHEERS

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
__________________
96 GT, P.I. Swap, X-PYPE, 4.10's, BAMA Chip.
Mosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
People are losing jobs left and right. There's this machine that makes burgers so bye bye McDonald's employees that want $15 an hour
They'd be much more likely to get more money if they could consistently give you the right food. I'd say that's a good use of technology - then you're much less likely to get f*cked in the drive through.

SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mosified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
Mechanical engineers would make out on that deal.. Like the end of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Someone had to fix the machine that put the caps on tubes of toothpaste..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
__________________
96 GT, P.I. Swap, X-PYPE, 4.10's, BAMA Chip.
Mosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 301
They've already working on machines that can fix machines - it's only going to get worse. At some point, manufacturing and service jobs will all be a thing of the past. Hopefully it will be another 20 years before machines can write and debug code so I will be safe and retired to enjoy life with my robot army.

We've got cars on the roads already with adaptive cruise control and as was previously mentioned, automated parallel parking. It will continue to be a gradual thing while they are perfecting the autonomous cars. It will be a sad day for me when I can no longer drive my own car.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mosified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
Car Manufacturers been working on a self driving car since 1930's. They figured by the 1950's they'd of had that aced... Thank God growing up in the 1900's allowed me to get my drivers license... (people on the sidewalks weren't very happy) LOL

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
__________________
96 GT, P.I. Swap, X-PYPE, 4.10's, BAMA Chip.
Mosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Sure - that's where Johnny Cab comes in.
Is that the robot from black ops 2?
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post

It won't happen I can guarantee it. Oil and insurance companies won't allow it
We will see
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
No thanks.

Sent from my massive johnson.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mosified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
I wouldn't pass up buying a few extra modds for stock in that industry!;-(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
__________________
96 GT, P.I. Swap, X-PYPE, 4.10's, BAMA Chip.
Mosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
I wouldn't pass up buying a few extra modds for stock in that industry!;-(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Yea, the day my mustangs not allowed on the road is the day I move somewhere I can.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,409
When I was a kid they said that we'd have flying cars, like the Jetsons.
I haven't seen any flying cars yet...

I think that it would be neat if they could make it a viable technology that would interact with the normal traffic on the roads today.
Think about it... You could send it out to pick up the kids from school, pick up a pizza, take your "needy" friends to the airport, give YOU a ride home after having a bit too much to drink, the list is endless.
I wonder though, which of the automakers will have the balls to release the first, truly, autonomous car?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
When I was a kid they said that we'd have flying cars, like the Jetsons.
I haven't seen any flying cars yet...

I think that it would be neat if they could make it a viable technology that would interact with the normal traffic on the roads today.
Think about it... You could send it out to pick up the kids from school, pick up a pizza, take your "needy" friends to the airport, give YOU a ride home after having a bit too much to drink, the list is endless.
I wonder though, which of the automakers will have the balls to release the first, truly, autonomous car?
Honda or Toyota
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Honda or Toyota

Agreed, too risky for American and most euro manufacturers, but I've seen an article where Ford is testing sensors on fusions, mainly to collect route data. That seems like a step toward automated cars.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mosified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
I would buy a whole fleet of Self Driving Cars and sit home on M.E. while they automatically deliver pizzas within a 100 radius, 24 hours a day...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
__________________
96 GT, P.I. Swap, X-PYPE, 4.10's, BAMA Chip.
Mosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Sweet Cars! Jackal43x 2011-2014 Mustang GT 2 08-23-2012 10:19 PM
07 v6 died while driving 98gtdriver 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 1 08-24-2011 01:46 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:31 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.