Self Driving cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Self Driving cars?

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on some of the car companies developing a self driving car.
Jeremy.baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I think it will be good since the majority of people can't seem to drive nowadays... My friend is actually legally blind (can see enough to function fine by himself, but sometimes its hard) and he has actually been following the research of cars that can drive themselves.

I think its a great idea, as long as they make that an "option" and don't stop producing cars where the driver is in full control... Like sports cars

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I think it will be good since the majority of people can't seem to drive nowadays... My friend is actually legally blind (can see enough to function fine by himself, but sometimes its hard) and he has actually been following the research of cars that can drive themselves.

I think its a great idea, as long as they make that an "option" and don't stop producing cars where the driver is in full control... Like sports cars
Like in iRobot
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Like in iRobot
Pretty much just like that. But make people pass a super comprehensive driving test before they can change it to driver control. Nothing like the skimpy driving test we have now.

HID end all thread
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Soccers right real people can't drive for ****. At least robots won't be dicks and speed up as soon as they see you put your turn signal to get in the lane

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Soccers right real people can't drive for ****. At least robots won't be dicks and speed up as soon as they see you put your turn signal to get in the lane

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
And the fact that if all cars are controlled by a computer they will all be at the same speed on any road, which means no suddenly braking for no reason, it will be perfectly smooth cruising. And since computers will be in control then they should be able to increase the speed of them, leading you to arrive at your destination quicker.

HID end all thread
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
And the fact that if all cars are controlled by a computer they will all be at the same speed on any road, which means no suddenly braking for no reason, it will be perfectly smooth cruising. And since computers will be in control then they should be able to increase the speed of them, leading you to arrive at your destination quicker.
You say that now but when your self controlled Bullitt won't go past the limit your going to be so damn bored your going to regret mentioning it. When it comes to it I only approve self driving taxis and public transportation
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Like in iRobot
iLove that movie. Seen it like 20 times, never gets old.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
You say that now but when your self controlled Bullitt won't go past the limit your going to be so damn bored your going to regret mentioning it. When it comes to it I only approve self driving taxis and public transportation
But would we still need taxi drivers?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Except it will have the ability to manually control it.

HID end all thread
Old 01-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

No just type the address in the GPS and off it goes. Buses already have stops so that helps. But we need to be able to drive our own cars. Wtf is the point of owning one. Might as well have those tubes like in futurama
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No just type the address in the GPS and off it goes. Buses already have stops so that helps. But we need to be able to drive our own cars. Wtf is the point of owning one. Might as well have those tubes like in futurama
Hey that first episode when he slams face first into that wall lol. Yea well thats a lot of jobs that will be lost. Maybe in 20 years when the economy is(hopefully) better.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I just fear that they can't account for every driving situation. We can't (now at least) give a computer judgement and common sense. It just does what it is programmed to do. If I tree were to fall in the road or the vehicle were to suddenly start to slide on ice, I don't know how confident if be in the car driving itself.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I just fear that they can't account for every driving situation. We can't (now at least) give a computer judgement and common sense. It just does what it is programmed to do. If I tree were to fall in the road or the vehicle were to suddenly start to slide on ice, I don't know how confident if be in the car driving itself.

you make a very good point. Also what if some super smart ahole hacks them

Quote:
Hey that first episode when he slams face first into that wall lol. Yea well thats a lot of jobs that will be lost. Maybe in 20 years when the economy is(hopefully) better.
People are losing jobs left and right. There's this machine that makes burgers so bye bye McDonald's employees that want $15 an hour
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I imagine it would be the same as it is now. Those cars that have the automatic stop when theyre about to hit? But the ice thing got me. Maybe it will recognize the temperature and the increased chances of ice on the roads and slow down...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Think, we already have cars that parallel park themselves, and there won't be the whole sudden braking thing since all the cars will be in sync with each other. But there will be sensors that can detect all the stuff in the road and then send a signal to a master computer and then all other cars re-route.

HID end all thread
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Think, we already have cars that parallel park themselves, and there won't be the whole sudden braking thing since all the cars will be in sync with each other. But there will be sensors that can detect all the stuff in the road and then send a signal to a master computer and then all other cars re-route.
But computer doesn't have the sense to pick "the lesser of two evils." Say you are riding along in these autonomous cars along a cliff side. To your left is a grassy field. To your right is a steep cliff. As your car comes around a corner, you find that a car has stalled in the middle of the road. Your car can "see" the car, and can see that there is no obstacles to your left and right. How will it know which to choose?

And it's also totally plausible that drunk driving will rise. If you're sitting there saying "hey, my car drives myself," then there's much less incentive not to get sh*t-faced. Unless automakers also install breathalyzers and make you blow your car every time you want to drive.

I think it's all just a way for automakers to say "hey, look what I can do!"

And people thought that "the driver's experience" was lost after manuals fell out of fashion. Lol This is the next level. Next stop is teleportation man.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

But computer doesn't have the sense to pick "the lesser of two evils." Say you are riding along in these autonomous cars along a cliff side. To your left is a grassy field. To your right is a steep cliff. As your car comes around a corner, you find that a car has stalled in the middle of the road. Your car can "see" the car, and can see that there is no obstacles to your left and right. How will it know which to choose?

And it's also totally plausible that drunk driving will rise. If you're sitting there saying "hey, my car drives myself," then there's much less incentive not to get sh*t-faced. Unless automakers also install breathalyzers and make you blow your car every time you want to drive.

I think it's all just a way for automakers to say "hey, look what I can do!"

And people thought that "the driver's experience" was lost after manuals fell out of fashion. Lol This is the next level. Next stop is teleportation man.
These new self driving cars are going to use a magnetic strip in the center of the road to let the cars know exactly where the are on the road. The cars will also communicate with one another. The only risk is cars on the road that don't communicate like our mustangs. I think self driving cars are good in a scene of takeing people who don't care and would rather text and call then drive, off the road. But are current cars aren't going anywhere and it will take decades to put the magnetic strips on each and every road. I think it's also going to cut down traffic and allow speed limits to be raised on highways and interstates. The stupid thing is that means the future mustang will drive themselves and good luck porformance modding that computerized mess lol.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
These new self driving cars are going to use a magnetic strip in the center of the road to let the cars know exactly where the are on the road. The cars will also communicate with one another. The only risk is cars on the road that don't communicate like our mustangs. I think self driving cars are good in a scene of takeing people who don't care and would rather text and call then drive, off the road. But are current cars aren't going anywhere and it will take decades to put the magnetic strips on each and every road. I think it's also going to cut down traffic and allow speed limits to be raised on highways and interstates. The stupid thing is that means the future mustang will drive themselves and good luck porformance modding that computerized mess lol.
It won't happen I can guarantee it. Oil and insurance companies won't allow it
Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I would just have my brain transplanted into the 2014 Cobra Jet...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
I would just have my brain transplanted into the 2014 Cobra Jet...

You sir, just won this thread.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sure - that's where Johnny Cab comes in.
Attached Images

SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

#CHEERS

Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
People are losing jobs left and right. There's this machine that makes burgers so bye bye McDonald's employees that want $15 an hour
They'd be much more likely to get more money if they could consistently give you the right food. I'd say that's a good use of technology - then you're much less likely to get f*cked in the drive through.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Mechanical engineers would make out on that deal.. Like the end of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Someone had to fix the machine that put the caps on tubes of toothpaste..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

They've already working on machines that can fix machines - it's only going to get worse. At some point, manufacturing and service jobs will all be a thing of the past. Hopefully it will be another 20 years before machines can write and debug code so I will be safe and retired to enjoy life with my robot army.

We've got cars on the roads already with adaptive cruise control and as was previously mentioned, automated parallel parking. It will continue to be a gradual thing while they are perfecting the autonomous cars. It will be a sad day for me when I can no longer drive my own car.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Car Manufacturers been working on a self driving car since 1930's. They figured by the 1950's they'd of had that aced... Thank God growing up in the 1900's allowed me to get my drivers license... (people on the sidewalks weren't very happy) LOL

Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Sure - that's where Johnny Cab comes in.
Is that the robot from black ops 2?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It won't happen I can guarantee it. Oil and insurance companies won't allow it
We will see
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
No thanks.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't pass up buying a few extra modds for stock in that industry!;-(

Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
I wouldn't pass up buying a few extra modds for stock in that industry!;-(

Yea, the day my mustangs not allowed on the road is the day I move somewhere I can.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

When I was a kid they said that we'd have flying cars, like the Jetsons.
I haven't seen any flying cars yet...

I think that it would be neat if they could make it a viable technology that would interact with the normal traffic on the roads today.
Think about it... You could send it out to pick up the kids from school, pick up a pizza, take your "needy" friends to the airport, give YOU a ride home after having a bit too much to drink, the list is endless.
I wonder though, which of the automakers will have the balls to release the first, truly, autonomous car?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
When I was a kid they said that we'd have flying cars, like the Jetsons.
I haven't seen any flying cars yet...

I think that it would be neat if they could make it a viable technology that would interact with the normal traffic on the roads today.
Think about it... You could send it out to pick up the kids from school, pick up a pizza, take your "needy" friends to the airport, give YOU a ride home after having a bit too much to drink, the list is endless.
I wonder though, which of the automakers will have the balls to release the first, truly, autonomous car?
Honda or Toyota
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Honda or Toyota

Agreed, too risky for American and most euro manufacturers, but I've seen an article where Ford is testing sensors on fusions, mainly to collect route data. That seems like a step toward automated cars.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I would buy a whole fleet of Self Driving Cars and sit home on M.E. while they automatically deliver pizzas within a 100 radius, 24 hours a day...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion