How does your Mustang handle on snow and ice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How does your Mustang handle on snow and ice?

For those Daily Driver Mustangs anyway.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Like crap but tooting my own horn, i consider myself to be a decent driver and know how to handle my car in the winter even with ultra high performance all season hockey pucks.
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mine is fine. I have winter rubber for it and it's ok. The back end kicks out easily but I've gotten pretty good at being sideways.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Sucks especially wit summer tires but I make do with it. Wish they offered traction control on mine probably would be a bit easier
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My 96GT came with some off brand 245/45r17's. I found a great deal on 245/45r17 TOYO Proxes. It handles perfect now. Doesn't cock sideways from just putting it in gear. Lol.. Kumho Platinums I hear are freaking amazing. Also Dunlop Pole Positions and Michelin's too. Obviously its all about the composition of the materials used in manufacturing tires. Some brands like FUSHION.. OMG.. what a disgrace for rubber. Lol.. I can't believe they can even put those on the market. Except for people with stock cars that like to do burnouts every where they go

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Some useful information. Usually dealers put new tires on returned leased high end sports cars. They send them off to bigger tire distributers. Local Used Tire Shops buy these tires for a minimum of 100 @ $10 a tire. They only distribute tires with no defects,plugs or patches with at least 65% tread remaining or more. I got mine for $80/each with 85% tread remaining. For Mustang owners who can't afford $700+ for the proper performance tires they need, may consider looking into this.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My 2005 does really well on snow actually. And I usually end up turning off my TCS. I find it more trouble than helpful. I'll go ahead and say it, I'm actually a really good winter driver, and I'll credit it to learning how to drive in snow and ice while I was at college in Kansas and I was using my 1966 Mustang.

On another note, I know I will have some neigh sayers, but I don't care... I think installing my spoiler a few days ago has helped. My cars back end would get squirrelly in the snow around 45mph and you could really feel it. The other day, the highways were coated with 4 inches, and I was doing 60 and it didn't feel like it was going to come loose. It felt planted.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post

I live in montreal and we have some pretty bad winters....that being said these mustangs, with the advance trac on, and a good set of winter tires, handle very well! The key is winter tires....they make all the difference. Don't do all season spend the $$, your baby is worth it!!!!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
My '14 does really well. I use engine braking with the select shift going down hills rather than the brakes, never looses traction. I have the stock 17" rims with michelins. I'll probably run them as my winter rim/tire next year as well.

I agree about turning off the TCS. If you know how to drive in snow it seems to make you over/under correct depending when it kicks on. Rather than knowing the car is sliding out and adjusting, it will kick on suddenly, making you over correct. I think with stud-less snow tires this car would be a champ during the winter.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Great advice I throw my car in nuetral coming to stops.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Plus my front end "clunks" when backing out of parking spaces. I had the entire front suspension checked out. It was fine. I realized that one front tire seems to skip traction on top of tiny scattered ice spots. Invisible tiny ice spots at that. Its scary to drive at the though of a bad balljoint about to come apart on the highway going 65-70 mph :O

Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Mine does just fine now that I have snow tires. I just have to watch out for more than a couple inches of accumulation and the various snow blocks that drop off other cars and trucks. With all seasons I had an absolutely horrible time trying to get anywhere

Sent from my XT1030 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Some of you actually drive your cars in winter? BAD, BAD Mustang Owners!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #14

Region: Kentucky
A lot better than I expected honestly. Never had the roads be to bad to drive on. TC helps a lot honestly. Ive raced go-karts and super stocks pushing 500/600 hp so I wasn't really worried about dumping it if it ever jumps out on me.
Mustang_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You're so right :-[
I can't wait to get another faster/nicer one for the garage That's why Im finished modding my 96GT. 2013 GT Premiums are calling my name. Like "Mosified, Mosified... please buy me so I can be tastefully modified"

Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I"m sure as heck not getting another Ranger for Wintertime... "BAWL-WINGGGG!!" LMFAO !!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
My '14 is pretty good with the stock Pirellis. We've had packed snow/ice for the past week almost. I've been starting in 2nd and the back end takes a bit to hook even with traction control, but then it's fine. If I roll into it too quick the back tries to step out, but in all it's manageable. Of course it probably helps that I've driven nothing but RWD cars since I was 16, except for the 8 months I had a Jetta. But we don't talk about that.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

*OOOPS*
I found a 98 Jetta with 90,000 for $900. I had to pass. Popped out of reverse. Mysteriously losing coolant. And the body was hammered. Uhmm... You do know its impossible to add fluids in them o_O *yikes*

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

My Mom had a 1984 LX in 1984. I was 14. I can't believe she said "YES" evety time I asked to borrow the car while she was sleeping o_O she doesn't remember that at all.. That thing hit EVERY curb goin sideways on the icy roads.. The big Mystery to my Dad was "How the f*** do these rims keep getting bent"? . And why's the tranny shot? (he still don't know).

Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
*OOOPS*
I found a 98 Jetta with 90,000 for $900. I had to pass. Popped out of reverse. Mysteriously losing coolant. And the body was hammered. Uhmm... You do know its impossible to add fluids in them o_O *yikes*

I bought a 2012 last March because my '86 MR2 had started to fall apart after 450k (clutch, suspension, burning oil). It was a necessary impulse. After 7 months and having 47k on the clock it threw a low coolant light, mysteriously of course. A month before I traded it in, I topped it off with standard Prestone "universal" coolant instead of G12+. That was a big no-no, but it ran fine when I traded it in.

It was great in snow though...
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I bought a 2012 last March because my '86 MR2 had started to fall apart after 450k (clutch, suspension, burning oil). It was a necessary impulse. After 7 months and having 47k on the clock it threw a low coolant light, mysteriously of course. A month before I traded it in, I topped it off with standard Prestone "universal" coolant instead of G12+. That was a big no-no, but it ran fine when I traded it in.

It was great in snow though...
D'OP :-[

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391833909713.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	147328  
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

D'OP !!

Attached Images

Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
D'OP :-[

Haha I hated that car and knew it was going to get traded in very soon. I looked for an EVO X here in town for a month and couldn't find any, so I got a Mustang.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

"Good TwentySomeThing year old"
Your blogs awesome BTW. I bookmarked it so Im gonna read as much of it as I can.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"Good TwentySomeThing year old"
Your blogs awesome BTW. I bookmarked it so Im gonna read as much of it as I can.

Haha I really appreciate the kind words. Feel free to comment and share. It's just for fun and to relieve stress. There's virtually no money in it at all.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Haha I really appreciate the kind words. Feel free to comment and share. It's just for fun and to relieve stress. There's virtually no money in it at all.
It really suprises me how well my 13 does with the stock Pirellis. I mean, its not good but better than I thought it would be. The problem I have is my driveway pull right onto a big hill and a lot of cars cant make it up the hill in the winter. It is a one lane backroad but wide enough for 2 lane and they don't plow it until last. I do have the Subaru though and its a tank. KS where is your blog, I would like to check it out.?
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
It really suprises me how well my 13 does with the stock Pirellis. I mean, its not good but better than I thought it would be. The problem I have is my driveway pull right onto a big hill and a lot of cars cant make it up the hill in the winter. It is a one lane backroad but wide enough for 2 lane and they don't plow it until last. I do have the Subaru though and its a tank. KS where is your blog, I would like to check it out.?
http://mrtwosblog.blogspot.com/?m=1 There ya go

Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Rants and Raves of a Frustrated Twenty-Something There ya go

Haha. That's the spirit.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

now I want to drive an mr2, if I can fit in one! 6'4, 240.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
I just have to watch out for more than a couple inches of accumulation and the various snow blocks that drop off other cars and trucks.

Sent from my XT1030 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I hear you on that. Sunday night I was driving home from a friends house. It was like 8-9 o clock, along an unlit back road passing through Raccoon Creek State Park near my house. It was pitch black and foggy, even with my high beams on I couldn't see more than 5-6 feet in front of me. Being stupid, over confident me, I was doing 50-60mph. At the last second I saw a large white chunk of snow/ice and hit it dead on. I heard it disintegrate under my car. Monday morning, I noticed that the lower bumper grille was missing, my bumper cracked, and the bottom of my radiator is bent (thankfully not leaking). I was really upset. But found a guy selling a GT/CS front bumper for $100, so I'm gonna buy that and upgrade.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
now I want to drive an mr2, if I can fit in one! 6'4, 240.
My buddy that rode with me on that trip is 6'1 and his head would bump the roof when we went over a significant bump. The 2nd gens had a bit more headroom but the first had the most space overall, even though it was the smallest of the 3.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Mustang. But when you can take a $2300 car with 4 blown struts, mismatched used tires, horribly heavy eBay wheels, and an exhaust around an auto-x course and keep up with a brand new $60,000 Porsche Boxster S....there's just no replacing that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mr2.2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	147367  
Old 02-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My buddy that rode with me on that trip is 6'1 and his head would bump the roof when we went over a significant bump. The 2nd gens had a bit more headroom but the first had the most space overall, even though it was the smallest of the 3.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Mustang. But when you can take a $2300 car with 4 blown struts, mismatched used tires, horribly heavy eBay wheels, and an exhaust around an auto-x course and keep up with a brand new $60,000 Porsche Boxster S....there's just no replacing that.
The Porsche Boxter S with the Suckretary in the passenger seat :-[ you took that bee*eye*itch

Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

There is one of the newer turbo ones on craigslist near hear for $3500. Has the 2.0 turbo.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I just have the stock Pirellis (which are summer tires I think). In MD, we don't get a ton of ice, but this has been a very cold winter so far. There's been more ice than usual. Still ice isn't too hard to conquer as long as TC and Advanced Trac is on. I actually was going around a bend a few weeks ago and the rear end just went out. All I had to do was counter steer and let the throttle out and the back end snapped back into place.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is one of the newer turbo ones on craigslist near hear for $3500. Has the 2.0 turbo.
If it's only $3500 it needs some serious work or the owner doesn't know what they have. Good examples easily go for 4500+.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion