Considering Future Vehicle Options - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Considering Future Vehicle Options

I'm starting to think about getting another car- honestly within about a year. I got my 04 base V6 back in 08 for a steal at the dealership (mispriced at 10k online and turned out to be the cheapest car on the lot- 40th ann package). I was in love when I got it but ran into some generally annoying issues in the last year or so (things I now blame the stealership for and not the car). For a while I vowed to never buy another American car. Now I've been hearing ads on the radio with really good closeout prices on the 2014 stangs which has caused me to reconsider due to budget-friendliness. I've really wanted an Outback but it's just too expensive. I've now decided to not close the door on another Mustang. Here's where part of the debate comes in:

1) I'm okay with a base model V6- not only for the price but I dont need leather be ause of my dog. I'm afraid she'd tear it it.

2) My current car has the Mach stereo in it. While I have changed the head unit, I know I can't change speakers without rewiring the whole thing. Can I totally change out the stereo without issue in the 2014?

3)Has anyone had any real issues with their 2014s that might dissuade me from actually getting one?

Thanks for the help! BTW- i dont need/want a GT due to price and premium gas requirements.
vadersaysno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Issues I've had with my 2014 V6 Base after 7 months of ownership:

1. SYNC F-ed up and needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled by the dealer. This isn't a big deal if you don't go for the Tech Package. And this isn't really a problem with the Mustang, but a problem with Microsoft.

2. Belt began to squeak loudly around 5500 miles for no apparent reason. The dealership replaced the belt and it hasn't come back.

3. Rattles. If you get an aftermarket exhaust, your car will rattle. Not all the time. But only sometimes. Most of my rattles come from either the doors or the chrome trim in the interior which honestly should have been put in the car a little more solidly. They are a little loose, and that's why they rattle.

That's it. In my book, the third one is not really a huge issue. And the first one isn't a problem with the car itself. And for all I know, the second one could have been a fluke. Lol

All in all, very happy with this car. If you are coming from a 2004, I am positive you will be happy with the 2014. If I compare my 2014 to my dad's 2002 which I drive sometimes, I find that the 2014 is a big leap in terms of refinement.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
another mustang or a different car all together?
If I was going to own a vehicle other than a mustang that's reasonable it would
either be a 2006 or newer bmw .. a ford escape ... an audi .. maybe a Cadillac cts .. all those vehicles would be practical
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for being honest. Maybe some super glue to fix that trim?? LOL Granted, you shoudn't have to think "super glue" for a new car. My wife, of course, thinks 302 hp is totally unnecessary, but she's liking the pricing too. I've read so many forums of people saying "just get the GT instead". I really appreciate your reply that didn't include that

As far as the tech package or not, later in the year if I'm able to get another car and do go Mustang again, I'm planning on getting whatever has a really good deal on it- extra packages or not. Is there any package in particular that I should REALLY consider, though?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
another mustang or a different car all together?
If I was going to own a vehicle other than a mustang that's reasonable it would
either be a 2006 or newer bmw .. a ford escape ... an audi .. maybe a Cadillac cts .. all those vehicles would be practical
Other vehicles I was really looking at were Subaru Outback or Forester. I really want AWD, but doesn't look to be in-budget. I was turned off by the Rogue when I heard that the AWD cuts off at 15mph. Keep in mind that I haven't gone for test drives yet- it's just going to depend how the rest of the year works out with finding a better job, etc. I'm definitely NOT going GM or Chevy.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersaysno View Post
Other vehicles I was really looking at were Subaru Outback or Forester. I really want AWD, but doesn't look to be in-budget. I was turned off by the Rogue when I heard that the AWD cuts off at 15mph. Keep in mind that I haven't gone for test drives yet- it's just going to depend how the rest of the year works out with finding a better job, etc. I'm definitely NOT going GM or Chevy.

Do you need a people carrier? And are your winters bad? To suggest anything I need to know what you need out of it. If you have kids (especially like 2 or more) then a Mustang would be a poor choice as an only car. And if your winters are bad then RWD as opposed to AWD would also be the worse choice.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in Northern Virginia (just outside of DC). Our weather pattern over the last decade or so has been a bad winter every 3 or 4 years, but mild in-between. No kids yet, but planning on some in the future- no more than 2. I was thinking about AWD out of frustration during those bad years. My wife just bought a 2013 Altima back in October or November. I like that car a lot, but that car isn't "me" and I don't want the same thing she has too. Ford just makes this SO tempting to get another Mustang. For the price point, she's okay with it if I end up with it (even though she keeps saying Mustangs are "girl cars" haha).

As a note, neither of us like GM cars, Hondas, Toyotas, and after my experience with an Eclipse dying at 85k miles, not trusting Mitsubishi. It's kind of been narrowed down to Subaru, Nissan, and now considering a Mustang again (not any other Fords). Other details- I'm 41, 5'10", and around 175 (so an average sized guy I would say).
Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Okay cool, I'd definitely say that a Mustang is a good buy for you. I live in MD just a walk away from the DC line so you and I are experiencing the same winters. I survived this winter on the factory wheels no problem. I'm 5'10" and about 160-165 too and I've got plenty of head room left over and the seats are plenty comfortable. The 2014s are going at great prices right now for sure! I'd say that you absolutely need to test drive one. Bring your wife too. I'm sure that the 420HP will change her view of these cars. Lol
Old 03-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
. I'm sure that the 420HP will change her view of these cars. Lol
She's laughing and shaking her head at your comment! haha
Old 03-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersaysno View Post
She's laughing and shaking her head at your comment! haha

Hahaha!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion