Raxiom Smoked Projection Headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hey guys and girls. Have a question about this and hoping you can provide me some assistance and guidance. I really love the look of the Raxiom smoked projection headlights and think they would look amazing on my 2011 3.7. I have read issues about the light output in these are not good with the H9 bulbs. People said the light output was worse than then factory head light output.

My question is this. Would purchasing a nice HID Full Xenon Conversion Kit 55W with a bulb of 6000k do the trick for great light output. I'm looking for a nice bright white bulb and wondering if this kit would solve the poor light output issue.

Would a 35W be better than 55W? I'm looking for a high output light! I found a Full Xenon HID Conversion Kit for my 2011 for 147.98 which includes 6000k bulb and 55W kit. Will 55 W be too hot and melt the plastic headlight casing?

Here is the kit I'm looking at;

http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/hig...-mustang-2011/
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I just helped a buddy of mine put those same lights in his GT. The light output is definitely less than stock. He has been looking into hids as well.

I would do the 35w one because that 55w will most likely melt the headlight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
5.0FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0FRDPWR View Post
I just helped a buddy of mine put those same lights in his GT. The light output is definitely less than stock. He has been looking into hids as well.

I would do the 35w one because that 55w will most likely melt the headlight.

Thanks bro. Im definetly going to go with a 35 w and 5000k. For me I'm looking for pure white and little to no blue. I found a site that seems to look decent. I am leary of ordering a cheap kit from ebay or another site that sells kits made from China. Not saying the China made kits won't work but I have been told when it comes to HID'S , you get what you pay for. I'm looking at kits for under 150.00 dollars and German manufactured. Here is the site I'm going with.

I just ordered a HID kit yesterday from them for my wifes Mazda Mpv van.

http://www.xenonpro.com/high-and-low...-mustang-2011/

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I know a couple people that have had good luck with ddm tuning kits.

5.0FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0FRDPWR View Post
I know a couple people that have had good luck with ddm tuning kits.

Your not the first to say that about DDM. I'll have to check them out.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I pulled some no-name brand HIDs out of my 98 that had a damn incandescent bulb in the fronts for the hi-beams that basically meant I had non-functional high beams. Tried some super white incandescents but they suck although the silverstars I used to have were great. However for the cost of silverstar bulbs I can just buy the whole damn DDM tuning kit...

I also hated that my lights were the 6000k blue, not a fan of colored headlights honestly, going to order a set of DDM 4500 55w high/lo beams for the headlights, 35w jobbers for the fogs and then throw them in the DEPO projector housings made for 94-98 cars along with some smoked amber corners. Should look tits.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just pull the crappy tinted h9 bulb and replace. IMO was just as good as stock after that and an adjustment. Unless you are wanting to do the hid conversion.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396025489.439593.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	152135

The output is actually better than stock you just have to aim the lights correctly. I personally put the 55W 6000K because i wanted them to match the color of the halos which it did perfectly. My light output isnt blue because 6000K is in between white and light blue it looks perfect. I went through some completely dark mountain roads to test out the light and WOW 100000 times better than stock. You can literally see at least almost a little over a 1/4 mile ahead of you completely clear specially with the high beam. Just my opinion if you want to buy the raxiom headlights DO IT you wont regret it, get the HID kit on and your set not to mention how killer and mean it will make your car look lol
Just my 0.2
Goodluck bro
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post

The output is actually better than stock you just have to aim the lights correctly. I personally put the 55W 6000K because i wanted them to match the color of the halos which it did perfectly. My light output isnt blue because 6000K is in between white and light blue it looks perfect. I went through some completely dark mountain roads to test out the light and WOW 100000 times better than stock. You can literally see at least almost a little over a 1/4 mile ahead of you completely clear specially with the high beam. Just my opinion if you want to buy the raxiom headlights DO IT you wont regret it, get the HID kit on and your set not to mention how killer and mean it will make your car look lol
Just my 0.2
Goodluck bro
Thanks bro. I was under the impression 55k would potentially melt the housing. So, 55w is a good bit more light output compared to 35 W. I'm definitely going with a HID kit for those smoked Raxioms just trying to decide between 35 or 55 W. I am only wanting 5000k
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Thanks bro. I was under the impression 55k would potentially melt the housing. So, 55w is a good bit more light output compared to 35 W. I'm definitely going with a HID kit for those smoked Raxioms just trying to decide between 35 or 55 W. I am only wanting 5000k

You wont burn the housing. Ive driven for 3 hours straight at night and when i got home i touched the headlight and they werent even hot lol
And if they do you have a 2 year a warranty lol
But the 55W should be perfect as long as you dont go higher than 55W
Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

All newer cars (read 94-up for us) are 55w headlights. Actually with those HID fogs I had I only ever had to use the headlights when it was totally dark out and even then I could have got by with the fogs and running lights. ****ers are bright... Gah, I'm going to need to go order some new HIDs...

One question I do have for those with the DDM/other kits with hi/lo HIDs, have they fixed the issue with the hi-beams having to warm up or is it instant like incandescent when you swtich? Because if its not instant I might go the Raxiom route and run silverstars for the hi-beams and HIDs for the lows/fogs.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
All newer cars (read 94-up for us) are 55w headlights. Actually with those HID fogs I had I only ever had to use the headlights when it was totally dark out and even then I could have got by with the fogs and running lights. ****ers are bright... Gah, I'm going to need to go order some new HIDs...

One question I do have for those with the DDM/other kits with hi/lo HIDs, have they fixed the issue with the hi-beams having to warm up or is it instant like incandescent when you swtich? Because if its not instant I might go the Raxiom route and run silverstars for the hi-beams and HIDs for the lows/fogs.
I thought the 2013-14's HID's were 35 W
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You wont burn the housing. Ive driven for 3 hours straight at night and when i got home i touched the headlight and they werent even hot lol
And if they do you have a 2 year a warranty lol
But the 55W should be perfect as long as you dont go higher than 55W
Great too know about the 55W not melting the housing. If you are referring to the two year warranty by Raxiom, AM made it clear any HID kits do void the warranty. That's my understanding and perhaps AM could chime in on that if I misunderstood.

I would love a brighter 55W but was concerned about the heat it produce so good too know you don't have any issues with the 55W and the Raxiom housing.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great too know about the 55W not melting the housing. If you are referring to the two year warranty by Raxiom, AM made it clear any HID kits do void the warranty. That's my understanding and perhaps AM could chime in on that if I misunderstood.

I would love a brighter 55W but was concerned about the heat it produce so good too know you don't have any issues with the 55W and the Raxiom housing.

Yeah it does void the warranty i was just messing with you though lol
But hey you can always change the lights back to stock HINT HINT lol
But in all seriousness the 55W are perfect no issues at all bro 👍
I ended up getting mine for $278 lol
Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah it does void the warranty i was just messing with you though lol
But hey you can always change the lights back to stock HINT HINT lol
But in all seriousness the 55W are perfect no issues at all bro ?dc4d
I ended up getting mine for $278 lol
Ha ha ha! I'm glad you educated me about your results with the 55W 's with the smoked Raxiom. Thanks bro. I feel your hint.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ha ha ha! I'm glad you educated me about your results with the 55W 's with the smoked Raxiom. Thanks bro. I feel your hint.

No problem bro !
Did you ever upload how your exhaust sounded i was dying to hear it !
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No problem bro !
Yeah. I'll do it again now
Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No problem bro !
https://db.tt/W9IhiPbc

Let me know if its an issue to download
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
https://db.tt/W9IhiPbc

Let me know if its an issue to download

That sounds sick man !
What axle back do you have again ?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That sounds sick man !
What axle back do you have again ?
Thanks bro. Sorry for my ugly mug on the video. Ha ha ha. I have Flowmaster Force II axle backs. It sounds wicked at WOT
Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #21
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
If you want to use HID's, stick with the 35w units. We don't recommend any HID's for these headlights, but the 35w units seem to work well without issues. I've seen a few guys whom melted the housings of the headlights because of a 55watt set. I've also seen customers get away with the 55watt set.

If they were my headlights, I'd stick with 35w and call it a day. They're much brighter than stock and give a nice white light with 4300k.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
If you want to use HID's, stick with the 35w units. We don't recommend any HID's for these headlights, but the 35w units seem to work well without issues. I've seen a few guys whom melted the housings of the headlights because of a 55watt set. I've also seen customers get away with the 55watt set.

If they were my headlights, I'd stick with 35w and call it a day. They're much brighter than stock and give a nice white light with 4300k.

Shane
Shane, thanks so much for your input as well as others on here. I value everybody's experience and guidance when it come to HID lighting which is something I'm learning. I was leaning towards a 5000k just to be a tab bit whiter over 4300.

It seems from majority of the reviews about the smoked headlight by Raxiom, its agreed HID's are the way too go over the H9 halogen bulbs or even the upgraded brighter halogen bulbs. Even the brighter H9 halogen bulbs don't seem to compare to any level of HID's.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks bro. Sorry for my ugly mug on the video. Ha ha ha. I have Flowmaster Force II axle backs. It sounds wicked at WOT

Yeah i bet it sounds really nice bro !!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Agreed that 35w is more than fine for headlights. 55w is overkill and will melt some housings like the Raxioms. Although the Raxioms are just rice as hell the more I look at them. If I'm getting a projector its the DEPO ones.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Shane, thanks so much for your input as well as others on here. I value everybody's experience and guidance when it come to HID lighting which is something I'm learning. I was leaning towards a 5000k just to be a tab bit whiter over 4300.

It seems from majority of the reviews about the smoked headlight by Raxiom, its agreed HID's are the way too go over the H9 halogen bulbs or even the upgraded brighter halogen bulbs. Even the brighter H9 halogen bulbs don't seem to compare to any level of HID's.
No sweat! 5K looks really nice too. When you look at the bulb, it had just the slightest hint of blue. In the past, I've used 4.3k HID's and they look perfectly white to me, but I can see why you like the 5k's too. Both look nice, it's your call!

You really can't beat HID's compared to halogens. The HID's will always produce more light, especially for a smoked headlight housing. I think you'll be happy with the 5k 35watt for sure!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

HIDs produce ridiculously more light IF you get 3-6k. After that you start to lose lumens really quick. Also not all kits are created equal. With that said, even the blue no-name brand HIDs the PO had in my car lit up the road really well. I have driven in cars with OEM HIDs though and those things are bat**** bright and usually in the 4100-4500 range.

I just picked up a Xenon Depot Volt kit which is supposed to be about as close to OEM as you can get along with Morimotos. They even have the option to use re-based Philips bulbs in their Xtreme kit but the one I got was half the price and still uses a high quality quartz glass laser aligned HID. Kit was not cheap at $85 but you get what you pay for. It's usually $130 lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion