Confused about X Plan - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Confused about X Plan

So my father and I each separately joined a one year membership to Mustang Club America ( MCA) and while reading over the benefits it talked about getting an X plan pricing for purchases.

Now based on my reading its my understanding that not every Ford dealership in the country partakes in the X plan pricing. Is it safe to assume a large majority of Ford dealerships do participate in the x plan pricing?

Also, its my understanding that if a dealership does except x plan pricing they are obligated to show the customer the dealers invoice and somewhere either next to it, under it, or very close to it, there is the x plan price.

My question is this. Is the X plan price less than the dealers invoice price? Is the x plan price higher than the X plan price or the same? I thought I have read on the forums people can negotiate lower pricing than taking advantage of the X plan price or is this not the case.

What is the advantage of the X plan over negotiating ones own deal?.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a new 2014 gt and x plan took off 3000 you probably could negotiate for much better
jacobdlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdlaw View Post
I bought a new 2014 gt and x plan took off 3000 you probably could negotiate for much better
Do you know if that 3k off was invoice price or lower? Also, how are people getting 7 and 8 k off the 2014's non x plan? Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
X-Plan pricing formula = 0.4% * Dealer Invoice + Administration Fee

Examples if you want to see them - https://wwwqa.myplan.ford.com/myplan...an_invoice.pdf
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
X-Plan pricing formula = 0.4% * Dealer Invoice + Administration Fee

Examples if you want to see them - https://wwwqa.myplan.ford.com/myplan...an_invoice.pdf
How much is the Admin fee?.Are there always Admin fees. Sounds like added built in profit to me..ha ha ha

Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
How much is the Admin fee?.Are there always Admin fees. Sounds like added built in profit to me..ha ha ha

Pretty much what it is. It's typically around $275.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pretty much what it is. It's typically around $275.
Thanks bro. Very interesting!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You might be better off negotiating for a better price, or find a better dealership.

When I bought my 2014, the owner of the dealership was my "salesman". We picked the options I wanted on the car, then he showed me the invoice price, MSRP and his cost. He said here is what I will sell you the car for, here is how much I will make on this and there are no hidden fees or anything else. Just the price we agreed upon and tax, that was it. No negotiations or anything.

So I bought a $31k car before tax for just over $28k otd. I know how much he made and it was less than what the majority of people make a week. I called a few other dealerships just to see what kind of pricing they could give me, the closest one was just under $1800 more than what I paid.

After some quick math, with the x plan, my car would have cost around $31,500 otd.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Plan X ,Y, Z are BS >>> I got my brand new 14 base V6 for 16,700.00 out the door plus tax/tag and no dealer fees .
Old 05-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You might be better off negotiating for a better price, or find a better dealership.

When I bought my 2014, the owner of the dealership was my "salesman". We picked the options I wanted on the car, then he showed me the invoice price, MSRP and his cost. He said here is what I will sell you the car for, here is how much I will make on this and there are no hidden fees or anything else. Just the price we agreed upon and tax, that was it. No negotiations or anything.

So I bought a $31k car before tax for just over $28k otd. I know how much he made and it was less than what the majority of people make a week. I called a few other dealerships just to see what kind of pricing they could give me, the closest one was just under $1800 more than what I paid.

After some quick math, with the x plan, my car would have cost around $31,500 otd.
Of course the dealerships never tell us how much extra profit they make buy the set aside hold back money guaranteed to the dealership. Ha ha ha. Even if a dealership sold a car for true invoice they still make money on it with the built in hold back.

Not to mention us consumers don't know what behind the scene incentives Ford offers a dealership for moving x cars in a certain period. If a dealership sells X model by a certain time, Ford may let the dealership keep an extra determined percentage which is a private matter.

The invoice price is not the starting point that a dealership makes on a car but the real question is how much less profit is a dealership willing to go. There are all sorts of hidden profits and behind the scene
deals for dealerships to make big profit!

My father worked for Cannon as a manufactures rep and it was the same thing. There was an invoice cost to the dealerships but the customer didn't know Cannon would take additional funds off only offered to the dealerships for larger profits so invoice isn't really what a dealership pays for stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Of course the dealerships never tell us how much extra profit they make buy the set aside hold back money guaranteed to the dealership. Ha ha ha. Even if a dealership sold a car for true invoice they still make money on it with the built in hold back.

Not to mention us consumers don't know what behind the scene incentives Ford offers a dealership for moving x cars in a certain period. If a dealership sells X model by a certain time, Ford may let the dealership keep an extra determined percentage which is a private matter.

The invoice price is not the starting point that a dealership makes on a car but the real question is how much less profit is a dealership willing to go. There are all sorts of hidden profits and behind the scene

My father worked for Cannon as a manufactures rep and it was the same thing. There was an invoice cost to the dealerships but the customer didn't know Cannon would take additional funds off only offered to the dealerships for larger profits so invoice isn't really what a dealership pays for stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Of course the dealerships never tell us how much extra profit they make by the set aside hold back money guaranteed to the dealership. Ha ha ha. Even if a dealership sold a car for true invoice they still make money on it with the built in hold back.

My father worked for Cannon as a manufactures rep and it was the same think. There was an invoice cost to the dealerships but the customer didn't know Cannon would take additional funds off only offered to the dealerships for larger profits so invoice isn't really what a dealership pays for stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I actually sell Canon printers, I know all about the rebates and incentives.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I actually sell Canon printers, I know all about the rebates and incentives.
Oh, that's cool. My father is retired from Cannon now but worked there for 25 years as a manufactures rep. I actually think he sold the printers to the dealers for many years . I covered the east coast when he was there.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sucks that they separate their divisions. I am authorized to sell and repair Canon printers but I can't get any deal on one of their cameras.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I am a GP employee and we get X plan pricing from work. I tried using it for my Mustang and wife's Explorer but I was able to get a lower price without X plan. It is my understanding that the X plan has a set price that is not negotiable. I always tried to get the lowest price and then right before I buy say what's the X plan price. It was higher both times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
5.0FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0FRDPWR View Post
I am a GP employee and we get X plan pricing from work. I tried using it for my Mustang and wife's Explorer but I was able to get a lower price without X plan. It is my understanding that the X plan has a set price that is not negotiable. I always tried to get the lowest price and then right before I buy say what's the X plan price. It was higher both times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Based on that story I have to say then, the x plan is a complete joke then.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So my father and I each separately joined a one year membership to Mustang Club America ( MCA) and while reading over the benefits it talked about getting an X plan pricing for purchases.

Now based on my reading its my understanding that not every Ford dealership in the country partakes in the X plan pricing. Is it safe to assume a large majority of Ford dealerships do participate in the x plan pricing?

Also, its my understanding that if a dealership does except x plan pricing they are obligated to show the customer the dealers invoice and somewhere either next to it, under it, or very close to it, there is the x plan price.

My question is this. Is the X plan price less than the dealers invoice price? Is the x plan price higher than the X plan price or the same? I thought I have read on the forums people can negotiate lower pricing than taking advantage of the X plan price or is this not the case.

What is the advantage of the X plan over negotiating ones own deal?.

Go to a site called: Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com

They have a spreadsheet that you can download and it will do all the adding and subtracting for you. It also has lines where you can list extra fuel charges, Dealer Advertising (Which is Bull****)! The guy that put this site together is Editor-In-Chief - CarBuyingTips.com is Jeff Ostroff.

They have everything that you need to know and the scams that some stealerships try to use to gouge the customers.

Drop me a PM Kona, I will explain more and send you a spreadsheet that has been downloaded.

Ford has recently raised their prices on their profit margins. It used to be 3% but they are jacking it up to over 3.5% or more. They are also charging for dealer advertising. Most areas don't advertise Mustangs, they sell themselves. So if they want to charge you for advertising, ask them when they have shown commericials, when, time, how many times, in your area.

Now a days the Stealerships are loading up junk as they get the car in, to pump up their profit. Pin Striping Charge, $100. Going to a place that does it, $25. Putting on an alarm, $300. Undercoating car, $100. Tinted Windows, $299, cost actually is around $125-$150.

If you have all your information you can figure out exactly how much they are charging and how much you are actually paying.

If a dealer won't let you see an invoice for a car on the lot, WALK-AWAY!

Hope this helps.

The X-Plan is similar to what Saturn was doing. They just offered a flat price so you wouldn't have to bargain and it made you think you were getting a good deal.

Hope this helps you Kona. Drop me a PM if you need anymore information.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion