Anyone own a Porsche? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Anyone own a Porsche?

My girlfriend is looking at a Porsche Cayman S
Mid engine car...
I was curious if any of you have experience with these?
Our mustangs are fairly simple to work on and I am nervous
that this car will seem impossible to me lol
belt,plugs,cops,oil change,air filters fluids... is maintenance something I could do or is it something I would need to bring to a dealer?
compared to my new edge mustang how impossible is this car to work on lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20 (11).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	158070   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20 (12).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	158071  

FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have never owned a Porshce but my uncle had a few 911's. He was a hands on guy but besides general maintenance, he left most major things to the dealership.

Oil, brakes, filters and fluids aren't to bad. Although now, I hear they use proprietary tools for brakes and things (might be with the ceramic brakes), so there may be more of that the deeper you dig.

I would assume basically anything in the engine bay will be a complete pain in the *** to get to. Although, German cars usually aren't that bad to work on, assuming you have the tools and steps of how to do things. Those crafty Germans are good at making things very precise and in a certain order, trying to shortcut your way around them, will not work... at all. I learned this from wrenching on my old E55 AMG.

Glad to see she's looking at the S and not the base model Cayman. The base models are turds.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You have a 2000 Mustang and your GF is looking into a Porsche? Time to put a ring on it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I havent but I know someone with a 2014 Cayman. Complicated. I would take to the dealer for anything. Also remember that with a car like this the cheap part is the payment. Maintenance and repairs are a killer. Definitely do some research on that. Oil changes are probably $150-200 and the usual 15M and 30M maintenance will likely be close to a grand.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My half brother is actually considering going to a mechanic school up in PA, he might not take it though, as he's in FL and doesn't want to leave his family.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
My half brother is actually considering going to a mechanic school up in PA, he might not take it though, as he's in FL and doesn't want to leave his family.

? :/
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Yeah tha Cayman is a mid engine car where the 911 is a rear so I would assume its going to be a real bittcch to get to anything...NaplesStang I don't think your correct about the oil change.. Id assume I can probably do that myself! however I need to look more into it as I know the older Porsche doesn't have an oil pan like a traditional car..
Yeah I have a new edge and my gf will be driving a Porsche haha we have been looking at cars all week and this seems to be the only one she/we are focused on.
With that being said, I am not going to let her buy it if we cant do the basic maintenance our self's .. I want her to be happy but I also don't want the car to sit or have to wait to be towed or sit at the dealership for what should be simple repairs over time.

our current bills consist basically of $500 each towards our condo and cell phone bills and low insurance on are current cars... Some people buy $250,000 houses... we have decided we will each get a car of our "dreams" and avoid the home ownership since we never know what life will bring and don't want to settle just because we are tied to a house
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
If you want any resale value, service it at the dealer. Porsche people only want Porsche techs working on their cars. If you want to stay out of the poorhouse when it comes to maintenance, buy American...or at the very least, not German.

Credibility: former VW salesman here. We were right across the street from the Porsche/Mercedes/Jaguar dealership and got a fair amount of their business once their customers' warranties ran out.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Hell, if they're looking at Porsche, they can afford the maintenance... Great car at a great price point. A "poor person's" 911.
hispeedlodrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My brother is a Porsche mechanic. In his words "don't bother opening the hood." Especially the new Porsches, they are notoriously difficult to work on "in the garage." I'm not sure on the Cayman, but even doing regular maintenance can be difficult to do. In all honesty, these cars aren't designed to be worked on by the garage mechanic.

That said, if I were you I'd just convince her to grab a pimped out Shelby over the Cayman!
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah you can basically forget about doing anything under the hood. A guy I know works at a Porsche dealership and he says they're an absolute ***** to work on, especially the newer ones. That being said, you're better off taking it to the dealer anyways for anything that needs to be done to it, get it done right the first time. My dad had a Aston Martin DBS and he refused to have anyone else work under the hood other than the mechanic who worked exclusively on Aston Martins at the dealer where he bought it from.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Porsches are nice but they are hard to work on
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Car cheap -- anything else is EXPENSIVE

You need to stop by your Porsche dealer and check on some prices on maintenance. It will choke your chicken when you see how much just an oil /Filter change is gonna cost. If you think you want to do it your self you better think again.
The Boxter Cayman S may be a nice car but only if you can afford to maintain it.

My friend Jack had a 911 that he sold to get a Boss 302 just because every single thing on the Porsche was way to expensive. And this guy is super rich.

Of course it will be her car so as long as she knows you can't work on it without a lift and special tools she will be at the dealers mercy. Oh! Dealers never show "MERCY"

Ronnie

Jacks Porsche at Daytona on Track Day

Jacks Boss 302 at Atlanta Motorsports
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Unless you're heads over heels for the Porsche, look at a BMW M3. I think BMW covers EVERYTHING maintenance related (even brakes and wipers) for the first 2 years.
hispeedlodrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

BMW is fine until the warranty and Maintenance expire

I had a Mini John Cooper Works that I liked a lot. I got rid of it because it was as expensive as a BMW when or if anything went wrong. I was going to buy the extended warranty but they wanted $3,500 for two more years. UGH! A Mini is really a small BMW and cost a lot without the free maintenance or a warranty.
It was a great car but not affordable after the warranty's were done.
Ronnie

My Mini at Daytona Track day
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion