Who rides a motorcycle? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Who rides a motorcycle?

Hi guys,

Since forever i have wanted to buy a motorcycle just for work but i always been afraid :/

Does anyone here rides a bike to work?

Any feedback?

I am looking for a. Ninja 250 or 300. Is just for work so i dont need more cc.

Advice please guys
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hey man. I rode a cbr250 my friend let me borrow for couple months or so. I was always tempted to get a 600cc but never pulled the trigger. Riding the 250 to and from work was great for saving on gas but not worth it in the end for me. I had several close calls on the road from other drivers not seeing me or getting cut off. They look cool, great on gas but the bad outweighed the good for me. Best of luck!
na5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I grew up riding dirt bikes and quads. So I've had a few. I am currently riding and loving a Yamaha WR250R dual sport.

I ride it to work a couple times a week. It's a 23 mile ride one way... without detours, of which there are a lot. Can't help but detour through a woods or a few fields now and again.

Depending on your skill level, a small bike my not be the best thing to learn on. They have literally no power until way, way up in the rpm range (10,000 rpm or better). They are actually harder to ride than some bigger bikes and don't honestly have the necessary power for highway/interstate commuting. I would rather ride a bike going 130+ down the highway than ride a bike that has trouble reaching 80 mph.

I have ridden everything from Ninja 250's to ZX14's, turbo busa's and turbo harley v-rods. The most well rounded beginner bike I could recommend is a Suzuki GS500 or a Suzuki SV650 (I honestly don't like Suzuki but they make great beginner bikes). The SV650 would be the one to get, it has smooth power, great torque, cheap to buy and insure, reliable, fun and it's a bike you can grow into.

Whatever you get, buy good riding gear. Helmet, gloves, boots, armor, etc... As someone who has fractured their skull (with a helmet on), and broke the same vertebrae in my back, twice (L4 ftw). I can attest to good riding gear. Without it, I would likely be dead and these accidents occurred in dirt, not pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401424345.348476.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	158170

I've got this '05 Honda ST1300. I ride it to work (46 miles each way) about 4 days a week.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Been riding for many years. This is my current scoot.
Troy
If u buy one, buy bigger than u think u will need. I guarantee you that you will want more soon, if you don't.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	158250  
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I grew up riding dirt bikes and quads. So I've had a few. I am currently riding and loving a Yamaha WR250R dual sport.

I ride it to work a couple times a week. It's a 23 mile ride one way... without detours, of which there are a lot. Can't help but detour through a woods or a few fields now and again.

Depending on your skill level, a small bike my not be the best thing to learn on. They have literally no power until way, way up in the rpm range (10,000 rpm or better). They are actually harder to ride than some bigger bikes and don't honestly have the necessary power for highway/interstate commuting. I would rather ride a bike going 130+ down the highway than ride a bike that has trouble reaching 80 mph.

I have ridden everything from Ninja 250's to ZX14's, turbo busa's and turbo harley v-rods. The most well rounded beginner bike I could recommend is a Suzuki GS500 or a Suzuki SV650 (I honestly don't like Suzuki but they make great beginner bikes). The SV650 would be the one to get, it has smooth power, great torque, cheap to buy and insure, reliable, fun and it's a bike you can grow into.

Whatever you get, buy good riding gear. Helmet, gloves, boots, armor, etc... As someone who has fractured their skull (with a helmet on), and broke the same vertebrae in my back, twice (L4 ftw). I can attest to good riding gear. Without it, I would likely be dead and these accidents occurred in dirt, not pavement.
Thank you for the advice!!!!!

I am currently thinking on getting a used Ninja 250R, the reasons because is cheap and I never take the Hwy to go to my job so it will be all city driving.

I haven't actually made my mind yet but still I will go and take the course for the Driver License.

I have seen a couple of fair deals on those bikes but I am still thinking jejejeje.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by na5.0 View Post
Hey man. I rode a cbr250 my friend let me borrow for couple months or so. I was always tempted to get a 600cc but never pulled the trigger. Riding the 250 to and from work was great for saving on gas but not worth it in the end for me. I had several close calls on the road from other drivers not seeing me or getting cut off. They look cool, great on gas but the bad outweighed the good for me. Best of luck!
Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Been riding for many years. This is my current scoot.
Troy
If u buy one, buy bigger than u think u will need. I guarantee you that you will want more soon, if you don't.
Thank for the advice
Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have an old xs1100 that i paid $500 for and its an awesome bike. Low 11 second quarter mile and rides great in town. For me it was very easy to start riding on a big bike. I would definitely take the motorcycle safety course, worth its weight in gold. Good luck man, and yeah, i would definitely buy bigger than a 250, that's just me though.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I really agree with green here. Buy an old used suzi or something. Learn to ride first. It will get dropped. Then after maybe a year, go buy a new toy. But again, get one that u can grow into. A 250 sounds great...until u ride it for a bit, then u will be kicking urself and wanting to trade up at a loss.
Be safe.
Troy
Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

A 250 Ninja is a decent commuter bike if there is no highway travel. However, you will want to ride it other places. When that happens and it will, you will be looking to get a bigger bike.

I would recommend at least a used Ninja 300. They are much, much better bikes than the 250.

How much riding experience do you have?
Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
A 250 Ninja is a decent commuter bike if there is no highway travel. However, you will want to ride it other places. When that happens and it will, you will be looking to get a bigger bike.

I would recommend at least a used Ninja 300. They are much, much better bikes than the 250.

How much riding experience do you have?
I used to ride a 200CC bikes when I was 17, that was when I was on Cuba, I came to US with 19 and since then haven't ride any bike.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you have ridden before, you should have an idea of what to expect with that size of bike.

Go for it.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: New York
First off... Myself being an ex motorcycle safety coach. I highly recommend you take the MSF beginner course. Then after a year of riding go back and take the advance course. These two training courses will be the biggest in safety next to your riding gear. Do not have someone teach you to ride or teach yourself on the street. Doing so increases your chances if being in an accident quite a bit over someone who has been taught by a professional. Not to mention you will get an insurance discount for taking the courses. Good luck and keep you head up, because where you look is where the bike will go.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Triumph Rocket III should be the ticket.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
First off... Myself being an ex motorcycle safety coach. I highly recommend you take the MSF beginner course. Then after a year of riding go back and take the advance course. These two training courses will be the biggest in safety next to your riding gear. Do not have someone teach you to ride or teach yourself on the street. Doing so increases your chances if being in an accident quite a bit over someone who has been taught by a professional. Not to mention you will get an insurance discount for taking the courses. Good luck and keep you head up, because where you look is where the bike will go.
+1, the msf is really a must. It also gives you a waiver for the riding part of the test. At least it does here in wv.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Michigan
2011 R6 here. More bike then most can exploit on a city or highway.
LimosAreLame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

2009 gsxr 600. Full exhaust , head work , intake , z bomb , quick shifter , geared , power comander 5, velocity stacks , 40 shot of NITROUS , custom dyno tuned. Lowered 4" , stretched 6" bunch of little things tires etc. 8k invested in upgrades to that dam thing to get stolen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Other than that started ridding motocross at 5 and racing at 6. I'm 25 now, haven't been able to ride much lately due to work . Always dirt bikes till I bought my gsxr.

The 250 ninja is OK but you will want more verry quick. They are slow

Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I used to. Rode Harleys for over 30 years. About 2 years ago I sold my last ride, a 2000 FLHT (dresser) that had over 165K on it's odometer (on it's second engine).

The last ride I took on it was the ride from Florida to Wisconson for the 100th H-D Birthday celebration. It was a blast. I realized that my reflexes and quick road manners were not as sharp as they used to be, and decided it was time to leave the two wheels behind. I never wanted to own a trike, so moved back into the Mustang, another passion I had.

Ride safe.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I want a street bike again. Thinking about the new Harley breakout this time - exhaust and a little nitrous and I will be happy.
Or a Hayabusa with a turbo. My buddy is the owner of " boosted cycle performance " in Houston. Turbo busas is all they do. , shop bike is 600 + hp

Old 06-11-2014, 04:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Worst thing about ridding a street bike is nobody looks out for motorcycle riders. You have to be everyone's eyes

Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Finally fired up my gsxr time to start riding again it's only been 6 months but feels like forever lol
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Motorcycle safety course then get a good book about riding technque. Helmet and gloves always. Jacket (sometime full armor sometimes just the back protection other time) if it's cold enough. Boots or hightops (I wear leather converse). Of course you know they are not the safest mode of transportation but just watch out for the other guy and always assume all the people driving are idiots and you will be ok. Sounds like you are set on the little Ninja but I would also recommend something with a little more power and upright riding position. I ride a Triumph Speed Triple and I love it. way more than my ninja but that was an old 1997 750 model. Whatever you get I would get something newer, 2005+
DTGTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #24

I have 2 Harley Davidsons. 1998 DynaWide & 2007 Electraglide Police . The Dyna has 98,000 miles . The Police only 11,000.
cobrafan998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a Ninja 300 as my first bike and I absolutely love it.

Here is my reasoning for choosing that bike (note that not everyone feels the same way and that's a-ok). Riding a bike responsibly is not as dangerous as people think, but it is still considerably more dangerous than driving a car. Because of this, when purchasing my first bike, I wanted to take every available precaution to mitigate the additional risk of riding on two wheels. I picked the smallest, lightest, shortest bike that I could find that still had a little zip to it. I also made sure to get ABS. The Ninja 300 was the perfect option for me. The bike is extremely easy to maneuver and as a newbie I knew that some of my actions would be less deliberate than they were shaky, so that was important to me. The slipper clutch has come in handy a couple times as well. Now, if I get tired of the little 300cc engine (which is faster than you'd think it would be), I can trade it in for a bigger bike. I may lose a grand or maaaybe two in the deal, but spending that extra money to get the bike that was the easiest and most safe to learn on is well, well worth the extra money (to me). Plus, believe me when I say that a good rider on a 300 will blow a mediocre rider on a 600 away.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #26

I have 2 Harley Davidons. 1998 DynaWide Glide & 2007 Electraglide Police. The Dyna has 96000 miles The police 12000. Been everywhere on the Dyna. Even have an "Iron Butt" award riding it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #27

I have 2 Harley Davidsons 1998 DynaWideGlide & 2007 Electraglide Police model. The Dyna has 96,000 miles & the police has 11,000. The police bike is the better of the 2 for long road trips and is heavier by 200 lbs. the Dyna is more maneuverable & is better of the two for urban riding.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have been riding for years I just got a 2014 HD Street Glide I never thought I would spend $25,000 on a bike

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
1997 GL 1500 Gold wing best bike I have ever owned. 104,000 miles only problem it has ever had was the altenator went out at 96,000 miles. Still runs like new.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
2007 Yamaha Virago 250, one of the best purchases I've ever made. Second from my stang

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1411422414.640644.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	896.1 KB
ID:	166683

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
AgentGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My wife had a 535 virago before she got here 750 shadow ACE

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'm holding out for the new H2

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion