Mustang dyno vs Dyno Jet. The better of the two??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Mustang dyno vs Dyno Jet. The better of the two???

Today I took a little 2 1/2 hour trip to Lakewood NJ with my buddy who was getting his 1996 Trans AM dyno tuned. The shop is called Tune Time for those of you from that area and perhaps familiar with this performance shop.

While there I began a conversation with the staff and this particular performance shop does not use a dyno jet and in fact are not fans of the dyno jet. They use the mustang dyno and according to this performance shop a dyno jet highly inflates the HP and torque numbers.
This shop feels the mustang dyno is superior and more accurate to real world driving numbers.

They claim the mustang dyno puts a load on it so when its being dyno the power numbers reflect what the car would make as if the vehicle was actually driving on the road. This helps with a better and more accurate dyno tune on the cars true power numbers down to the ground when its driving.

According to this business, the mustang dyno will always produce lower HP and torque numbers but is far more accurate when dyno tuning and getting real world numbers.

Any thoughts on this? Which is really the better of the two dyno machines? Do you agree or disagree with this performance shops opinion on the mustang dyno?

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Most people who say I put down XXX whp are talking about a dynojet number.

The main difference is as that shop claims, a mustang dyno can (generally) more effectively load the car than a dynojet can.

A mustang dyno, functions by calculating the weight of a drum (around 2560 lbs) with other factors. Those factors typically include the weight of the car and it's horsepower used to achieve a certain speed. The certain speed is used to calculate aerodynamic drag. Also mustang dynos have what is called an eddy current load cell. This is basically a magnetic brake. This brake is strong enough, it could basically stall a Peterbuilt. The eddy current applies a certain amount of brake against the drum, it measures this resistance along with the drum rpm over time, rpm of engine over time and the entered aerodynamic drag. All of these factor together to create your dyno chart and numbers.

A dynojet dyno is usually inertia based, some are actually eddy current dynos and function like mustang dynos. The inertia based ones calculate power by the acceleration of a known mass over time. Basically on typical dynojet, you have the drum which usually weighs somewhere around 2500 lbs. Say your car is able to accelerate that drum from 100 rpm to 300 rpm in a certain time while gaining a certain engine RPM, the dyno will use these to create the power numbers and the graphs.

There is no correction factor that one has over the other. Most of the time, you will get a dynojet or comparable number. It's important to remember that not all dynos are calibrated the same way. I have personally witnessed a car put down 480 rwhp on a dyno (same one I had my Z28 on) then complain that it's supposed to be over 500 rwhp as a package. He takes that car the same day across town, and magically puts down like 540 rwhp. I have also seen guys struggle to break 400 whp, zip across town and magically their car puts down 420+ whp.

Typically an eddy current dyno is best for tuning, an inertia based dynojet is great for numbers, except on a turbo car. They inertia dynos can't load the turbo cars to get proper spooling.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Great post dude. Lots of info, I understood some of your well written facts. I'm a bit slow! Ha ha ha. So to sum it up. I think your saying when it comes to dyno tuning a mustang dyno is a better choice?

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Generally.

Newer or higher end dynojets will also provide the eddy current load cells, so tuning on a dyno with some sort of load cell is best, especially when forced induction comes into play.

Otherwise, if you want big numbers, dynojet inertia dynos are where it's at.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion