What is the best car you've gotten as a rental - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What is the best car you've gotten as a rental

So I just sent my 2012 3.7 into the Ford Body shop for some warranty work to be done. I'll get it back Friday afternoon . When I went to the lot to get a rental car, I saw a Ford Edge ready to go. I went in, assuming it was mine, and they told me that was for another customer and mine would be out shortly. About 5 minutes later, I see a base Honda Civic come out. They call me to go get my rental, and as I walk up to it, ready to protest and demand another vehicle, the attendant walks past the Honda, around the building, and I see an Infiniti Q70 AWD 3.7l waiting for me. It has climate controlled front seats. Enough said, LOL. Anyway, I was not impressed driving it home. It was in "eco mode" and it was really underwhelming. "sport mode" wasn't much better.... really disappointing.... The luxurious interior is amazing though. Again, CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS. THEY COOL YOUR BUTT DOWN. AMAZING. After hopping on Google, and a little bit of research.... This car STARTS at $64,xxx . HOLY S*^T. I got a 65 thousand dollar luxury car as a rental while my 3.7 (only performance package, not comfort or anything) is in. How the hell did this happen. Not that I'm complaining. Besides the performance, where this thing REALLY lacks.
What's the best car you've gotten as a rental? What's the worst? Have any really blown you away, or made you think "who the hell would spend 65k on a snail"?
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
When I bought my 2014 v6 in May 2014, the car that I wanted had the left exhaust tip bent in a little. I told them I'd take the car if they replaced it. I came back the next day to get it replaced and they gave me a rental car for the day. I wait at the dealership for the rental company to bring me a car for the day... They pull up in a 2014 Dodge Caravan. It was the only car they had available.

It's the worst thing I have ever had the privilege to drive, lol. I hated the amount of useless (to me and my needs) space and it felt like I was driving a bus.

I've had Kia Optimas, Nissan Altimas, etc. before... They're all okay, do the job, great on gas mileage which is ideal for the purposes I usually get rental cars for. But that Dodge Caravan... please, never again. You should have seen the look on my salesman's face when he saw what they brought me. "Hey man, congrats on your 2014 mustang! I bet you're pumped. We have a rental on the way for you while we fix the tip. Don't hate me.... It's all they had left" *dodge caravan rolls up* lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I got a '13 impala. I felt like an 80 year old man driving that puppy around. It sure beat walking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Best rental I ever drove was... a 2012 convertible GT. My 2011 V6 was in for service, I drove the GT for the day. They tried to sell me the GT when I went to turn it in! In fairness, they knew I was in the market for a GT, so it was all part of their sales pitch.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
When I bought my 2014 v6 in May 2014, the car that I wanted had the left exhaust tip bent in a little. I told them I'd take the car if they replaced it. I came back the next day to get it replaced and they gave me a rental car for the day. I wait at the dealership for the rental company to bring me a car for the day... They pull up in a 2014 Dodge Caravan. It was the only car they had available.

It's the worst thing I have ever had the privilege to drive, lol. I hated the amount of useless (to me and my needs) space and it felt like I was driving a bus.

I've had Kia Optimas, Nissan Altimas, etc. before... They're all okay, do the job, great on gas mileage which is ideal for the purposes I usually get rental cars for. But that Dodge Caravan... please, never again. You should have seen the look on my salesman's face when he saw what they brought me. "Hey man, congrats on your 2014 mustang! I bet you're pumped. We have a rental on the way for you while we fix the tip. Don't hate me.... It's all they had left" *dodge caravan rolls up* lol.
OMG if I had gotten a Dodge Caravan I would have died.
I've also gotten a Hyundai Elantra and a Jeep Cherokee this year.
The $65k Infiniti is def. my favorite of the 3 LOL.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

OMG if I had gotten a Dodge Caravan I would have died.
I've also gotten a Hyundai Elantra and a Jeep Cherokee this year.
The $65k Infiniti is def. my favorite of the 3 LOL.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
A fully loaded Caddy!.. Not sure what model exactly, I'm not really a fan, but it was really nice!.. This was about 6 years ago, and it was when I took my '96 Monte-Carlo Z34 in for service!..

Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

2014 camaro SS convertible...it was an auto and sounded terrible...because of the AFM...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
andrewheath09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Region: Mississippi
A couple months ago I was on a trip, got to the rental car desk and the lady said "You have selected the compact car level. Would you like to upgrade to a convertible?" I said no, she gave me a receipt for my compact car and I headed to the lot. Gave it to the attendant and he asked if I'd like a convertible instead. I told him I didn't pay for one but he decided to give me one anyway. Got a 2014 Mustang GT convertible. They said I was the first customer to drive it! I paid for the cheapest level and got the top tier win / win

abbottsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsford View Post
A couple months ago I was on a trip, got to the rental car desk and the lady said "You have selected the compact car level. Would you like to upgrade to a convertible?" I said no, she gave me a receipt for my compact car and I headed to the lot. Gave it to the attendant and he asked if I'd like a convertible instead. I told him I didn't pay for one but he decided to give me one anyway. Got a 2014 Mustang GT convertible. They said I was the first customer to drive it! I paid for the cheapest level and got the top tier win / win

That's awesome! I need some of that good luck

Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I had a business trip to California in 2007. When arranging my flight, hotel, and car I realized I had lots of Hertz points. So upgraded to the Shelby GTH for the trip. Everyone in the office out there asked when the bank approved that level of rental car. Lot of fun driving that around. Took the PCH back up to LAX
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I've rented numerous cars over the years, a few that stand out are an Excursion for its size, a Jaguar while in Germany, and I got a Challenger RT in San Francisco a couple years ago. You better believe I made sure to leave 2 nice black stripes all the way up one of those nasty hills, lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I took a Camaro 2SS up and down the PCH from San Fran to Ft. Bragg and back. Wonderful drive, going up through the clouds carving turns a foot away from a thousand foot drop. Wasn't the biggest fan of the Camaro, though. Heavy, wide, can't really see out the windows feels like you're driving a tank. It was fast though!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Ft Bragg isn't on the PCH

"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Ft Bragg isn't on the PCH

It is, right in Mendocino county. California highway 1 literally goes straight through Mendocino and then through ft Bragg.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm currently on a Hyundai Accent (been driving it for 2 weeks now). It's an ok car, can't complain about it. What I like about it is the gas mileage lol. My little sister and brother hate the car haha

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Drove a 2014 4cyl Dodge Avenger for a while. Compared to my 2002 v6 mustang, the electronics were the same, the interior was better quality(2014 though), and the gas mileage were the same. Dodge isnt really the one you want when it comes to gas mileage.

It was kool to have but I was too nervous about getting a scratch on it. I for sure wouldnt buy one.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Volvo s60 in Cali and Vegas for 10 days! Did 3000 miles on it! Was amazing!
Stealth_Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
It was not the best car but after owning my 2012 V6 performance package Stang I drove a 2012 V6 Chally for a week. It was fun doing a comparo with the Stang. I found the Chally a great hwy cruiser with 30 mpg, a huge trunk and lots of nice interior details compared to my base car. It was slow and the B pillars made such a huge blind spot that if it wasn't in my mirrors I couldn't see it. I would merge like an old person: put the blinker on, count to three and drift over if I heard a horn I knew someone was next to me.

It had the keyless start which I could learn to really like and the HVAC had intermidiate positions when going from windows/face/feet which gave you a lot more temp control. A fun rental but not my car.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
In 06 or 07, I was working for IBM and had to fly out to Colorado for training. I was supposed to get a 3.5L Chrysler 300 or Charger. Instead someone else took off in it or something, so the only other "luxury" car they had was a CTS-V, assuming I could drive a stick.

I had two weeks with that car, I know it topped out at 173 MPH on the speedo. I really, really liked that car. It was the best mixup I have ever had.

I was there for work but I had so much fun .. all on IBM's dime. Good times. I need to get back out there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion