Buying a car off the lot - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Buying a car off the lot

So my girlfriends cousin husband works at a Toyota dealership and says he can get her a good deal on a camry. Well family or not I know at the end of the day he still wants his commission. My question is what can I expect on a certified used car and also my girl asked if I could Co sign. Worst case scenario is consigning bite me back say we break up
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What do you mean what can you expect from a certified pre own? Since it's used it depends on the car but generally they do come with good warranties. How long have you been with her? Unless you plan to get married soon no way I would co sign the loan. Not worth the risk but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I am sure you don't want to have to pay for a car that your ex and her new boyfriend are riding around in. Unless I was married, I would never co sign for a loan for a girlfriend. If you break up, she knows you have to pay for it or mess your credit up, women will get you back any way they can and that would just make it so easy for them.
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Don't co-sign for anything....................would be the biggest mistake of your life. If you want to help her, show her how to improve her credit score.
I would never buy a used car, certified or not, but that's just me.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Don't co-sign for anything....................would be the biggest mistake of your life. If you want to help her, show her how to improve her credit score.
I would never buy a used car, certified or not, but that's just me.
I envy your position in life

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Regular

Thanks for the advice. I've been asking her questions and turns out he hasn't sold a car in over a month so I'm thinking this dude is going to take advantage which is why I came here to ask you guys since I've never purchased a car from a dealer
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I wouldnt co-sign with her but the real problem is telling her why lol dont ever tell her you thought about "if we broke up down the line" women go ape nuts. The best thing for me when i bought mines was the monthly payment calculator. You could "LOAN" her a few chips with dip but never co-sign

Sent from my LG-E980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Ill check out the calculator and I'm obviously going to tag along. I spoke with her again and she said that he told her 20k for an 09 camry....... My jaw dropped
Old 08-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly for 20k you can but a new mustang, focus, fusion, etc. if your spending that kind of money I would definitely go around to different dealers and test drive different types of cars. It's stupid to limit yourself to a Toyota just because your friends cousins brother works there. Since he's a salesmen I doubt you will be getting any huge discounts either. I realize you want to help them out but you have to do what's best for you so I would test drive similar cars and figure out what the best value is and what your girlfriend actually likes.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

We need a family car basically. Something 4 door since we have a daughter and yeah I told her for that price they advertise better cars at other dealers
Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
20k for a used '09 camry? That should be like 12k lol. My friend just got a brand new camry for 16k after everything.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
....4 doors? Chevy cobalt.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Fusions are pretty damn well priced

Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

Idk if she'll like a cobalt since it's almost the same size as her Saturn. yeah 20 seemed way to much
Old 08-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Only co-sign for a car if you would be willing to take over the payments with no regrets. I was going to co-sign for my cousin on a car between 10-15k. I told him that if we go through with it he needs to pick a car that I approve of in order to get my signature, and I'm very picky(Only RWD or AWD). So in case he can't pay it anymore I'll be be stuck with a cool car at least.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
Only co-sign for a car if you would be willing to take over the payments with no regrets. I was going to co-sign for my cousin on a car between 10-15k. I told him that if we go through with it he needs to pick a car that I approve of in order to get my signature, and I'm very picky(Only RWD or AWD). So in case he can't pay it anymore I'll be be stuck with a cool car at least.
My dad cosigned for me so my rate would go down from 4.5 to 3.2. First thing he did was get a spare key made lol. He told me if you ever miss a payment you are going to wake up with an empty driveway!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
My dad cosigned for me so my rate would go down from 4.5 to 3.2. First thing he did was get a spare key made lol. He told me if you ever miss a payment you are going to wake up with an empty driveway!

That's exactly why she wants me to cosign
Old 08-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ha nice. And that's how it should be. You let someone borrow your signature you are part owner until it's paid off. I wouldn't want to be part owner on a Camry though.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
Ha nice. And that's how it should be. You let someone borrow your signature you are part owner until it's paid off. I wouldn't want to be part owner on a Camry though.
Yeah I guess it kind of comes down to if you would mind having the car if something were to happen

Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

They're not that bad. Sure it's no speed demon but I'm sure it will rattle less than my current car
Old 08-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
So my girlfriends cousin husband works at a Toyota dealership and says he can get her a good deal on a camry. Well family or not I know at the end of the day he still wants his commission. My question is what can I expect on a certified used car and also my girl asked if I could Co sign. Worst case scenario is consigning bite me back say we break up
1) Don't Co-Sign, PERIOD!
2) Since you already have a daughter, not only could you be paying for a car that might not be drive able, if she gets mad and trashes the car, you could also be paying child support.
3) The price will be higher for a good used car, since you can't find another one like it at a dealer down the street.

What is the matter with her current car?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
20k for an 09... Lol...

You can get a 2014.5 Camry for less than 20k.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
1) Don't Co-Sign, PERIOD!
2) Since you already have a daughter, not only could you be paying for a car that might not be drive able, if she gets mad and trashes the car, you could also be paying child support.
3) The price will be higher for a good used car, since you can't find another one like it at a dealer down the street.

What is the matter with her current car?
Honestly nothing at all. It does shake a little cause of a motor mount but she just wants a newer car. Now I personally don't think she should get a new one but I thought consigning wouldn't make me responsible for payments either. The way I see it according to your guys advice is getting a car we both like at a reasonable price and sign something stating if she doesn't pay then I keep the car and she has no say in it. If it's a 4 door car I wouldn't mind a Malibu or an Altima
Old 08-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Also we have talked about this before but didn't take her serious but she has already went over there yesterday to talk to the guy
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Isn't that essentially what cosigning is? You saying if she misses payments you will take care of it? On another note there was a recent malibu recall. The same anti theft problem they have had for years. My wifes 99 fell victim to it

Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Isn't that essentially what cosigning is? You saying if she misses payments you will take care of it? On another note there was a recent malibu recall. The same anti theft problem they have had for years. My wifes 99 fell victim to it

I'll do payments but it will be MY car lol
Old 08-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Maybe a Mazda 6? Theyre not bad looking cars.

Is she dead set on ordering from the toyota guy?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
20k for an 09... Lol...

You can get a 2014.5 Camry for less than 20k.

The problem with statements like this is that most cars now a days can have a 10-15 grand variance between a base and top of the line model. I've seen Camrys priced in the 30-35 k range in you get it fully loaded.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Idk what's going to happen. I'll post an update if she does go. I honestly doubt it but I wanna be prepared
Old 08-27-2014, 03:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I had to chime in here to reiterate what others have already said.

DO NOT CO-SIGN!!!
You are opening yourself up to numerous civil liabilities by co-signing a loan, and I'm not just talking about missed payments. If you must, give her some money, but don't sign on the dotted line. You could be left holding the bag on a car you don't need or want, and potentially ruined credit, or worse...legal troubles.

Also, her cousins brother's uncle's mother's grandmother may be the CEO of Toyota, they are still in the business of selling cars. Never listen to a car sales person when they say "I can get you a good deal!" Take it upon yourself to seek out your own good deal, and use the sales person for nothing more then walking papers to the finance office.

Her cousins husband may be a relative, but he doesn't make the deals, his bosses the sales manager and the finance manager do. And you can bet your *** they don't care about family.

As for used cars, use caution. Full maintenance records must be available. 1 owner preferred and low mileage. Vehicles like this do exist. Try to find a one owner car where the person bought the car and had it serviced at the same dealer. Also check for any existing recalls or TSB's on a vehicle then reference the Carfax report. If you don't see any logs on the Carfax indicating maintenance, and they can't provide proof of service, then its a good bet the car was not regularly maintained.

Also a good visual inspection and a LONG test drive are mandatory. Bring a flashlight, get around and under the car. Check everything.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lol you say it will be your car but good luck on that. It's a civil issue and you'll have to go to court. Don't consign unless she's got a ring even then I would still hesitate on the car.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Lol you say it will be your car but good luck on that. It's a civil issue and you'll have to go to court. Don't consign unless she's got a ring even then I would still hesitate on the car.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
She has an engagement ring on
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhhh now it makes sense... "power of the P"... lol

Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
She has an engagement ring on

Soo she is your fiancé not g/f. Either way I would have a hard time doing the consign thing since it's so easy for things to go terribly wrong. But it's your life and decisions do what you feel is right. Hope you get a good deal on the car.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if you ARE going to marry then most couples will share $....I haven't seen the car but that # is way more than I would guess for a 5-6 yo Camary. I've driven the Fusion (real nice) and would consider the 4 cyl Accord or Mazda 6 for a family car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion