Any Challenger owners? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
meantang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lancaster
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 48
Any Challenger owners?

Hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone here owns or has ever owned a Dodge Challenger?

Personally, I have not. I am on my second mustang. However, I am definitely a fan of the body style of the modern challengers. What do you guys think of them?
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland
Region: Oregon
Posts: 205
I haven't driven one, personally. But I think they look nice. They are huge, but they look good. The Hemi's are potent and upgradeable, gives you a solid starting point.

Other than that, I can't offer much insight into this matter. Slick looking cars, though, for sure.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
meantang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lancaster
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
I haven't driven one, personally. But I think they look nice. They are huge, but they look good. The Hemi's are potent and upgradeable, gives you a solid starting point.

Other than that, I can't offer much insight into this matter. Slick looking cars, though, for sure.
I have never driven one either but I REALLY love the current body style. It's so beautiful. I don't know if I will ever get one though due to my love for mustangs. Haha.
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
I appreciate the body style, but after 7 years it could use some upgrading. Not much has changed. Unfortunately chrysler seems to have just made the challenger as a remake of the old model to have something vs Ford and GM, rather than making a unique and valuable car for the market.

The price point and other issues get me. I have gotten in them but can't muster the stomach to drive one. I won't get into the normal dead horses beaten around here, but no manual for the v6, such terrible FE for such little power, and the ridiculous price for a base model put me off so much.

I had high hopes for an eventual Barracuda, but with Montezemolo out, and the track record of chrysler and fiat ALONE (let alone as one company!) I am fearful of anything unique or special coming out.

(Not a challenger owner, but you asked what people think...sorry lol)

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
meantang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lancaster
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I appreciate the body style, but after 7 years it could use some upgrading. Not much has changed. Unfortunately chrysler seems to have just made the challenger as a remake of the old model to have something vs Ford and GM, rather than making a unique and valuable car for the market.

The price point and other issues get me. I have gotten in them but can't muster the stomach to drive one. I won't get into the normal dead horses beaten around here, but no manual for the v6, such terrible FE for such little power, and the ridiculous price for a base model put me off so much.

I had high hopes for an eventual Barracuda, but with Montezemolo out, and the track record of chrysler and fiat ALONE (let alone as one company!) I am fearful of anything unique or special coming out.

(Not a challenger owner, but you asked what people think...sorry lol)

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Good points. I know that the v6 challenger is definitely overpriced compared to the v6 mustang, but isn't the v8 version (not the new hellcat) around the same price as a GT?

I just absolutely love the challenger's body style. But, the mustang interior is 100 times better in my opinion.
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by meantang View Post
Good points. I know that the v6 challenger is definitely overpriced compared to the v6 mustang, but isn't the v8 version (not the new hellcat) around the same price as a GT?

I just absolutely love the challenger's body style. But, the mustang interior is 100 times better in my opinion.
I have built and priced online and to get a decent v8 with normal stuff gets pretty spendy. Just head over to the website and build a car for fun and see where you end up in price.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,212
I don't own one but I have seriously considered one. In fact, buying my Mustang was a mistake. I really wish I would have bought a Challenger.

A base RT starts at $31.495.

They are great looking, comfortable, muscle cars. They are not however sports cars.

The advantages of the Challenger over the competition are the looks, ride quality, usable rear seat and interior.

Disadvantages are it's size, weight, handling. Also, they are somewhat under powered with their base V8.


They are simply great cars. Go drive one if you are curious about them.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: West Milford
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 83
I had a 2011 silver SRT8. Not a bad thing to say about it. Only reason I sold it was because nobody was able to tune it. Chrysler had the ecm codes locked. About a year after I sold it, the codes were cracked by DiabloSport I believe.
__________________
Current Mustang: '14 GT/Track Pack/6spd-sold
Previous Mustangs: '68 Coupe, '73 Mach 1, '89 GT,
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
IS3
Registered Member
Regular
 
IS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Region: California
Posts: 98
not a big fan, IMO they look like a boat on wheels. but i smile every time i see the tail lights it reminds me of Cyclops from X-men.
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,262
^ you Must see the tail lights alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
meantang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lancaster
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 48
Haha awesome. Yeah, I see a lot of people talk about the size of the challenger as a disadvantage. But I personally think it's a good thing.

Also, I love the retro look of it.
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by meantang View Post
Hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone here owns or has ever owned a Dodge Challenger?

Personally, I have not. I am on my second mustang. However, I am definitely a fan of the body style of the modern challengers. What do you guys think of them?
I don't own one. However, I do love the style of them and had planned (Before I got my Mustang in Early Feb.) to purchase a Challenger R/T...

I'm so glad I didn't. I like to go fast, The challenger R/T is NOT fast! They're sooooo slow....

I'm sure there's a huge MOPAR scene out there to purchase things, But the sites, I didn't like them. I love the AM site (Truthfully, It's one of the reason I enjoy being a mustang owner, how easy it is to get mods for it).

I tried the Camaro RS, Challenger Base, Challenger R/T and Mustang V6... I'm here... So you know what I liked more.

But if it was more for looks and practicality (More room trunk space, more comfortable ride for long times), I would have probably went with the challenger.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,262
Kind award for a non FI 3.7 owner to call a RT slow. Just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Kind award for a non FI 3.7 owner to call a RT slow. Just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

The R/Ts are kind of slow. The only Challenger worth it is the SRT8


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Kind award for a non FI 3.7 owner to call a RT slow. Just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
They are slow. Like I said, I test drove it and didn't like it. Maybe if I would have put the same amount of money as I have into my current car, It'd be way faster than my 3.7, But Why have a slow V8, When I can have a slow V6?
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
 
Cise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The R/Ts are kind of slow. The only Challenger worth it is the SRT8


Bullitts are better than Bullets
I'm going to have to agree here
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The R/Ts are kind of slow. The only Challenger worth it is the SRT8


Bullitts are better than Bullets
A stock r/t will beat a stock 3.7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Challenger:
372HP/398TQ
Curb Weight: 4041lbs
lbs/hp = 10.86 lbs/tq =10.15

Mustang 3.7
305HP/280TQ
Curb Weight: 3450lbs
lbs/hp = 11.31 lbs/tq = 12.3


No doubt the Challenger is a little faster than the V6. But just look at how the gap is closed between the V6 and the powerful V8. As for real life examples, i've seen plenty of stock 3.7s run faster times than the R/T. Both cars run between a 13.7 to a 14.1 stock. So yea, by comparison the R/T is kind of slow. Cut off a few hundred pounds though and that will completely flip the table.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Bay
Region: California
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I don't own one but I have seriously considered one. In fact, buying my Mustang was a mistake. I really wish I would have bought a Challenger.

A base RT starts at $31.495.

They are great looking, comfortable, muscle cars. They are not however sports cars.

The advantages of the Challenger over the competition are the looks, ride quality, usable rear seat and interior.

Disadvantages are it's size, weight, handling. Also, they are somewhat under powered with their base V8.


They are simply great cars. Go drive one if you are curious about them.
What specifically about the ride quality is so great? I drove a Challenger back in 2011 when I bought by Mustang and I didn't notice a huge difference. I loved the looks and it was fun to drive, but it was too much of a boat for me. However, the electronics packages Mustang was offering (interior RGB lighting, SYNC (the major reason), Shaker) was really the deciding factor for me. Every once and a while I'll see one that looks really cool and I get a bit jealous. But then I remember why I made my choice in the first place. I might be a minority on here, but I'd much rather have something heavily hacked/modded electronics and software wise than something crazy fast.
__________________
2011 Fully-loaded V6 Premium
PythonV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonV6 View Post
What specifically about the ride quality is so great? I drove a Challenger back in 2011 when I bought by Mustang and I didn't notice a huge difference. I loved the looks and it was fun to drive, but it was too much of a boat for me. However, the electronics packages Mustang was offering (interior RGB lighting, SYNC (the major reason), Shaker) was really the deciding factor for me. Every once and a while I'll see one that looks really cool and I get a bit jealous. But then I remember why I made my choice in the first place. I might be a minority on here, but I'd much rather have something heavily hacked/modded electronics and software wise than something crazy fast.
My Mustang and every Mustang I have been in all ride like crap. It bounces, sways and just doesn't feel planted, especially on a country road. The Challenger and new Camaro have no issues at all.

As for the interior, if the 2015 Challenger had been out when I ordered my Mustang, I never would have bought a Ford. I wanted a current interior and at the time, the Dodge had a nice but dated one.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 370
Have you driven one with a fully upgraded suspension?
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Have you driven one with a fully upgraded suspension?
If you are asking if I have ever driven a Mustang with complete aftermarket suspension, yes, I own one. It still exhibits the same poor qualities that a stock Mustang does on uneven or bumpy roads, just not to the same extent.

I would write this off as being a solid axle issue, except my Z28 has no issues.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland
Region: Oregon
Posts: 205
Now just think about a Challenger with a fully upgraded suspension...
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Compstall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,162
They can be built all the same. There were two SRTs signed up for our Street Car Challenge a few weeks ago, one made over 700 and the other was over 1300 on full kill.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
- Brent
'11 GT Kona Blue Brembo
"Measure with micrometers, mark with a scribe, chop with an axe"
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 168
My family owns a 2012 v6 challenger, i used to drive it a lot before I got my mustang and they are just two worlds apart in driving experience. The challenger is definitely more comfortable on longer road trips and such, but stock for stock it just can't keep up with the mustang in the straight or on corners.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,023
I had a V6 Chally rental for a week. I got to do a good comparo to my base model performance package. The Chally was a great hwy cruiser but no where near as fun to drive. I liked lots of the features but for my wants the Stang was/is the right choice. I do like the front/back looks of the Chally but the profile is ugly (sorry, but it is) I was impressed that with cruise set at 72 I got over 30 mpg. I've never had near that. I admit to driving somewhat faster in the Stang as it was a work related trip and the boss don't buy my speeding tix.

Oh yeah, changing lanes involved signaling then moving over. If I heard a horn I knew someone was in one of the worlds largest blind spots.....
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Monterey CA
Region: California
Posts: 3
I had a base v6 loaner for a week after my old mazda was totaled. It looks great from the outside, and the interior isn't too bad either. I bought a 2006 mustang v6 after the mazda. The mustang feels faster and handles better than the challenger (the challenger was automatic, the mustang is manual). As said earlier, the Challenger is a great highway cruiser, but is too softly sprung to be any fun into corners.
markonline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Because, chrysler.

What isn't seen is the big holes in the grille where fog lights used to be, and white michael jordan triangle things covering the cheap dark taillight covers.

I hate taking pictures of crappy cars. Because the owner may get the wrong idea. They did NOT do something good.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414939724630.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	168979  
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #29
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 19
Ok so I've driven an rt and srt8 but I've driven a 5.0 and the well known Shelby 5.8 the challengers are way too heavy to be honost the camaro are wierdly geared a stang just has everything with less weight and way more fun


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
351w madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are mustang owners only attracted to mustang owners? Lucylove21 The Bar 157 02-13-2013 12:27 PM
Porsche owners vs Mustang owners Twinarrow99 General Car Discussion 2 06-28-2012 11:34 PM
Any GT500 owners running an upgraded S/C? a_Gorman 2005-2010 Mustang GT 21 02-25-2011 05:28 AM
Any Ohio Valley owners out there 2007STANG Regional Mustang Discussion 0 06-29-2009 05:52 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:07 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.