Any Challenger owners? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Any Challenger owners?

Hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone here owns or has ever owned a Dodge Challenger?

Personally, I have not. I am on my second mustang. However, I am definitely a fan of the body style of the modern challengers. What do you guys think of them?
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I haven't driven one, personally. But I think they look nice. They are huge, but they look good. The Hemi's are potent and upgradeable, gives you a solid starting point.

Other than that, I can't offer much insight into this matter. Slick looking cars, though, for sure.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
I haven't driven one, personally. But I think they look nice. They are huge, but they look good. The Hemi's are potent and upgradeable, gives you a solid starting point.

Other than that, I can't offer much insight into this matter. Slick looking cars, though, for sure.
I have never driven one either but I REALLY love the current body style. It's so beautiful. I don't know if I will ever get one though due to my love for mustangs. Haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I appreciate the body style, but after 7 years it could use some upgrading. Not much has changed. Unfortunately chrysler seems to have just made the challenger as a remake of the old model to have something vs Ford and GM, rather than making a unique and valuable car for the market.

The price point and other issues get me. I have gotten in them but can't muster the stomach to drive one. I won't get into the normal dead horses beaten around here, but no manual for the v6, such terrible FE for such little power, and the ridiculous price for a base model put me off so much.

I had high hopes for an eventual Barracuda, but with Montezemolo out, and the track record of chrysler and fiat ALONE (let alone as one company!) I am fearful of anything unique or special coming out.

(Not a challenger owner, but you asked what people think...sorry lol)

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I appreciate the body style, but after 7 years it could use some upgrading. Not much has changed. Unfortunately chrysler seems to have just made the challenger as a remake of the old model to have something vs Ford and GM, rather than making a unique and valuable car for the market.

The price point and other issues get me. I have gotten in them but can't muster the stomach to drive one. I won't get into the normal dead horses beaten around here, but no manual for the v6, such terrible FE for such little power, and the ridiculous price for a base model put me off so much.

I had high hopes for an eventual Barracuda, but with Montezemolo out, and the track record of chrysler and fiat ALONE (let alone as one company!) I am fearful of anything unique or special coming out.

(Not a challenger owner, but you asked what people think...sorry lol)

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Good points. I know that the v6 challenger is definitely overpriced compared to the v6 mustang, but isn't the v8 version (not the new hellcat) around the same price as a GT?

I just absolutely love the challenger's body style. But, the mustang interior is 100 times better in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by meantang View Post
Good points. I know that the v6 challenger is definitely overpriced compared to the v6 mustang, but isn't the v8 version (not the new hellcat) around the same price as a GT?

I just absolutely love the challenger's body style. But, the mustang interior is 100 times better in my opinion.
I have built and priced online and to get a decent v8 with normal stuff gets pretty spendy. Just head over to the website and build a car for fun and see where you end up in price.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't own one but I have seriously considered one. In fact, buying my Mustang was a mistake. I really wish I would have bought a Challenger.

A base RT starts at $31.495.

They are great looking, comfortable, muscle cars. They are not however sports cars.

The advantages of the Challenger over the competition are the looks, ride quality, usable rear seat and interior.

Disadvantages are it's size, weight, handling. Also, they are somewhat under powered with their base V8.

They are simply great cars. Go drive one if you are curious about them.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I had a 2011 silver SRT8. Not a bad thing to say about it. Only reason I sold it was because nobody was able to tune it. Chrysler had the ecm codes locked. About a year after I sold it, the codes were cracked by DiabloSport I believe.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
IS3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
not a big fan, IMO they look like a boat on wheels. but i smile every time i see the tail lights it reminds me of Cyclops from X-men.
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^ you Must see the tail lights alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Haha awesome. Yeah, I see a lot of people talk about the size of the challenger as a disadvantage. But I personally think it's a good thing.

Also, I love the retro look of it.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meantang View Post
Hi there. I'm just wondering if anyone here owns or has ever owned a Dodge Challenger?

Personally, I have not. I am on my second mustang. However, I am definitely a fan of the body style of the modern challengers. What do you guys think of them?
I don't own one. However, I do love the style of them and had planned (Before I got my Mustang in Early Feb.) to purchase a Challenger R/T...

I'm so glad I didn't. I like to go fast, The challenger R/T is NOT fast! They're sooooo slow....

I'm sure there's a huge MOPAR scene out there to purchase things, But the sites, I didn't like them. I love the AM site (Truthfully, It's one of the reason I enjoy being a mustang owner, how easy it is to get mods for it).

I tried the Camaro RS, Challenger Base, Challenger R/T and Mustang V6... I'm here... So you know what I liked more.

But if it was more for looks and practicality (More room trunk space, more comfortable ride for long times), I would have probably went with the challenger.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Kind award for a non FI 3.7 owner to call a RT slow. Just saying

Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

The R/Ts are kind of slow. The only Challenger worth it is the SRT8

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

They are slow. Like I said, I test drove it and didn't like it. Maybe if I would have put the same amount of money as I have into my current car, It'd be way faster than my 3.7, But Why have a slow V8, When I can have a slow V6?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

I'm going to have to agree here
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

A stock r/t will beat a stock 3.7.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Challenger:
372HP/398TQ
Curb Weight: 4041lbs
lbs/hp = 10.86 lbs/tq =10.15

Mustang 3.7
305HP/280TQ
Curb Weight: 3450lbs
lbs/hp = 11.31 lbs/tq = 12.3

No doubt the Challenger is a little faster than the V6. But just look at how the gap is closed between the V6 and the powerful V8. As for real life examples, i've seen plenty of stock 3.7s run faster times than the R/T. Both cars run between a 13.7 to a 14.1 stock. So yea, by comparison the R/T is kind of slow. Cut off a few hundred pounds though and that will completely flip the table.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I don't own one but I have seriously considered one. In fact, buying my Mustang was a mistake. I really wish I would have bought a Challenger.

A base RT starts at $31.495.

They are great looking, comfortable, muscle cars. They are not however sports cars.

The advantages of the Challenger over the competition are the looks, ride quality, usable rear seat and interior.

Disadvantages are it's size, weight, handling. Also, they are somewhat under powered with their base V8.

They are simply great cars. Go drive one if you are curious about them.
What specifically about the ride quality is so great? I drove a Challenger back in 2011 when I bought by Mustang and I didn't notice a huge difference. I loved the looks and it was fun to drive, but it was too much of a boat for me. However, the electronics packages Mustang was offering (interior RGB lighting, SYNC (the major reason), Shaker) was really the deciding factor for me. Every once and a while I'll see one that looks really cool and I get a bit jealous. But then I remember why I made my choice in the first place. I might be a minority on here, but I'd much rather have something heavily hacked/modded electronics and software wise than something crazy fast.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonV6 View Post
What specifically about the ride quality is so great? I drove a Challenger back in 2011 when I bought by Mustang and I didn't notice a huge difference. I loved the looks and it was fun to drive, but it was too much of a boat for me. However, the electronics packages Mustang was offering (interior RGB lighting, SYNC (the major reason), Shaker) was really the deciding factor for me. Every once and a while I'll see one that looks really cool and I get a bit jealous. But then I remember why I made my choice in the first place. I might be a minority on here, but I'd much rather have something heavily hacked/modded electronics and software wise than something crazy fast.
My Mustang and every Mustang I have been in all ride like crap. It bounces, sways and just doesn't feel planted, especially on a country road. The Challenger and new Camaro have no issues at all.

As for the interior, if the 2015 Challenger had been out when I ordered my Mustang, I never would have bought a Ford. I wanted a current interior and at the time, the Dodge had a nice but dated one.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Have you driven one with a fully upgraded suspension?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Have you driven one with a fully upgraded suspension?
If you are asking if I have ever driven a Mustang with complete aftermarket suspension, yes, I own one. It still exhibits the same poor qualities that a stock Mustang does on uneven or bumpy roads, just not to the same extent.

I would write this off as being a solid axle issue, except my Z28 has no issues.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Now just think about a Challenger with a fully upgraded suspension...
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
They can be built all the same. There were two SRTs signed up for our Street Car Challenge a few weeks ago, one made over 700 and the other was over 1300 on full kill.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

My family owns a 2012 v6 challenger, i used to drive it a lot before I got my mustang and they are just two worlds apart in driving experience. The challenger is definitely more comfortable on longer road trips and such, but stock for stock it just can't keep up with the mustang in the straight or on corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I had a V6 Chally rental for a week. I got to do a good comparo to my base model performance package. The Chally was a great hwy cruiser but no where near as fun to drive. I liked lots of the features but for my wants the Stang was/is the right choice. I do like the front/back looks of the Chally but the profile is ugly (sorry, but it is) I was impressed that with cruise set at 72 I got over 30 mpg. I've never had near that. I admit to driving somewhat faster in the Stang as it was a work related trip and the boss don't buy my speeding tix.

Oh yeah, changing lanes involved signaling then moving over. If I heard a horn I knew someone was in one of the worlds largest blind spots.....
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #27

I had a base v6 loaner for a week after my old mazda was totaled. It looks great from the outside, and the interior isn't too bad either. I bought a 2006 mustang v6 after the mazda. The mustang feels faster and handles better than the challenger (the challenger was automatic, the mustang is manual). As said earlier, the Challenger is a great highway cruiser, but is too softly sprung to be any fun into corners.
markonline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Because, chrysler.

What isn't seen is the big holes in the grille where fog lights used to be, and white michael jordan triangle things covering the cheap dark taillight covers.

I hate taking pictures of crappy cars. Because the owner may get the wrong idea. They did NOT do something good.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414939724630.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	168979  

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #29

Ok so I've driven an rt and srt8 but I've driven a 5.0 and the well known Shelby 5.8 the challengers are way too heavy to be honost the camaro are wierdly geared a stang just has everything with less weight and way more fun

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
351w madness is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion