No Mustang right now so decided to mod the truck a little. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
No Mustang right now so decided to mod the truck a little.

My 03 Expy was the target this weekend as part of an ongoing effort to get it basically running like new and to last another 100k miles. Basically just removing the air silencer but in a way that retains the ability of the stock setup to pull air from the fender and not the hot engine bay.

3" diameter piece of PVC pipe.

3" coupler with worm clamps built into it:

Stock airbox back in place with a WIX paper filter:

Looks pretty stealth:

Stock air silencer/snorkel is way too small:

Got this stuff at the home depot. 2ft pre-cut PVC piece for $8 and then the coupler was $6 plus tax=$15 out the door.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Good choice in the home depot purchase.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

I may be biased. How does it seem after the change?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When I did, basically, that and a cat-back to my F250, the power improvement was immediately noticeable and the truck gained a solid 1 mpg increase in fuel economy. 1 mpg may not seem like a big deal, but on a 13 mpg truck, it is a pretty decent gain. And I did that more than 570k miles ago so the fuel savings has added up over the years!

Hey Scotty, I used to rent a Piper Arrow that had a patch on the top of the wing that looked exactly like that patch on your airbox!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno about that patch on the airbox. It was there when I got the truck. Some ****** might have cut a hole in it for a K&N and the dealer patched it. No idea, it doesn't leak so W/E. I might get a new one at some point if I can get one like real cheap but I'm not really too concerned.

I will say the combination of new tires, new plugs, rebuilt COPs, new wheel bearings, new idlers, new belt and the Gotts mod has got the truck feeling better than it did 50k ago and it does feel a little stronger but that might be placebo effect or just less roll resistance from new tires or both.

I've heard with the Gotts, a drop in K&N/AEM, a catback, good tires and a 87 octane mileage tune these trucks can break 20 on the highway if everything is well maintained. Someone on expeditionforum is claiming 23-24mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 65mph hand calculated. If I could hit that with this truck... I might give it to the wife and get myself an 03-06 Navi and do the same mileage mods.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
We used a EBay CAI on my brothers F250 back in 05, ten years later it's still going strong and we did upgrade the air filter to a K&N but it's still going great as well.

I was glad we didn't waste big bucks on it and with the programer, it really woke up the truck with its 7.3.

I have come out to 22 MPG unloaded at 65 in my 5.4 3V Triton powered F250.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

How'd you wind up with 22mpg on the 250? What year is it? They did all get the much better 5R transmissions in the mid 2000s and IIRC the newer ones have the 6R series. I've heard I should be able to get that sort of MPG out of my 5.4L 2V with the 4R trans if I get a programmer and do the exhaust and keep my foot out of it which is what I am going for.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Best mod of all light foot.

It's a 2005.

I used a K&N air filter, kept my fuel filter up to date, I have the TorqShift 5 Speed, 3.73 gears, was running BFG Rugged Trails, Flowmaster muffler.

I also used fully synthetic oil verses the factory semi synthetic oil. Believe it or not it makes a difference.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm, might be a combo of the 3V and the torqshift then because mine has the 3.73s and I use Rotella T6 which is literally one of the best oils you can possibly buy. I'll probably need to do the exhaust and a programmer with this truck to get it over 20mpg if that's possible.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The main downfall of the 5.4 3V is changing the plugs. I flat out refuse to do it myself from all the horror stories I have heard from local mechanics, and forums.

Also the factory exhaust manifolds tend to warp from heat i.e. pulling heavily loaded trailers for long distances.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Plugs on the 2V 5.4L were stupid easy. Ppl piss and moan about it for some reason, took me two hours going slow and most of that was being super careful not to drop one of the stupid COP retainer bolts down into the engine bay lol.

The 3V... yeah you need to make sure you have the special tool for when (not if) you snap a plug.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I had a problem with my moms car and spark plugs it was an 04 expedition the plugs kept backing out with 200k on it i just threw some iridiums in it with a dab of blue loctight on the top threads..... Hope to never have to take those out again

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm that is odd. Were you torqueing them properly and changing the plugs on a dead cold engine? I put mine right at 15ft lbs with anti seize and did not have a problem with the Mustang 2V and *knock on wood* will not have a problem with this 5.4L 2V.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It seems the odd them not not staying in place unless the threads were damaged at either removal or install on the head. Also I have heard of them being shot out, the plugs, on mod motors, mostly V10 equipped Super Duty or Excursions. Yet backing out points to a problem at install or removal. If feel sorry for whoever is next pulling those plugs because they will more than likely end up pulling the heads.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I tried everything to torque them or the combination of till the plug seats then 1/4 turn more. No mater what i did it still back out and if not for cop they would have just shot out

Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You may have to helicoil the heads...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
It seems the odd them not not staying in place unless the threads were damaged at either removal or install on the head. Also I have heard of them being shot out, the plugs, on mod motors, mostly V10 equipped Super Duty or Excursions. Yet backing out points to a problem at install or removal. If feel sorry for whoever is next pulling those plugs because they will more than likely end up pulling the heads.

I figured that the engine had 200k on it and those iridiums should last around 100k so I don't think they would ever need to be removed again. Also I put the loctight just at the top of the treads so all the the threads wouldn't get covered in loctight

Old 01-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

1/4 a turn on these heads is a massive MASSIVE overtorque and the heads are definitely ****ed if they ever back out or need to be done again. They were probably boogered before though or they should have torqued properly. 15 ft lbs is not much past hand right at all.

For those mentioning plugs being spit out. This is caused by ppl not properly torquing the plugs on 4 thread heads usually. Like I said, 15 ft lbs is not much and even 1/8 a turn past hand tight is way too much. Happens on the mustangs too. Torque wrenches are cheap and nobody who does any automotive work should be without one. Would not be surprised if the 04 from the poster above spits one. Hopefully not but it would be a prime candidate...

Old 01-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1/4 a turn on these heads is a massive MASSIVE overtorque and the heads are definitely ****ed if they ever back out or need to be done again. They were probably boogered before though or they should have torqued properly. 15 ft lbs is not much past hand right at all.

For those mentioning plugs being spit out. This is caused by ppl not properly torquing the plugs on 4 thread heads usually. Like I said, 15 ft lbs is not much and even 1/8 a turn past hand tight is way too much. Happens on the mustangs too. Torque wrenches are cheap and nobody who does any automotive work should be without one. Would not be surprised if the 04 from the poster above spits one. Hopefully not but it would be a prime candidate...

Ha oops well i did the 1/4 turn the last time with the loctight and it seems to be doing fine now and I agree with you about the torque wrenches its a must in any tool box

Old 01-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's how badly 1/4 a turn is... 47ft lbs in aluminum heads is way way way too much but the deed is done and it'll either run fine or it won't. If its running fine then just cross your fingers and roll with it and don't plan on any more changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TaperSeatTest01.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	174314  

Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It's been my experience with life we learn the best from our mistakes and if I don't think I can do it take it to someone who can without making it worse that I would have.....
Old 01-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That's how badly 1/4 a turn is... 47ft lbs in aluminum heads is way way way too much but the deed is done and it'll either run fine or it won't. If its running fine then just cross your fingers and roll with it and don't plan on any more changes.

Damn that puts things into perspective. If I saw that before id never have done that.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

This is how us civilians have to do our transmission R@R's Scotty...
In the driveway laying on our backs!
Lol.

Another in a long series of broken E4OD's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424391029860.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	175739  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

^ Eff that noise... nope never, my back hurts just looking at it.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
To make matters worse, I'm removing the reasonably fresh transmission from my ramp truck and putting it in my F250 that has the broken transmission... So I get to do this twice!
I'm not going to buy these crappy rebuilt transmissions anymore. This is the fifth transmission to break in this truck. Even with all of the factory updates they all seem to break at around 120k miles.
So I'm going to have John Woods build a transmission for the ramp truck and I'll use the sub-standard rebuilt transmission in the F250. He is the guy, on the west coast, that builds the E4ODs and 4R100s for the diesel truck racers.

I also found that the starter housing is cracked again, which is a common occurrence with this engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424396646831.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	175741  
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've heard with the E4OD you basically slap the biggest trans cooler you can shoehorn into the front of the truck in there and then pray to a higher power.

My truck has a 4R70w in it so hopefully I can get another 100k out of it before it needs a rebuild. Always make sure the fluids are good and I never run it hard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion