"Bought" 1986 Mustang Gt 5.0 for $200. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
"Bought" 1986 Mustang Gt 5.0 for $200.

Hello all, just joined as I came across a mustang gt that has been sitting at a neighbors home for about 13 years. I have been eyeing it for some time. Well they finally had a for sale sign on it. I went over and asked how much and they "sold" it to me for $200. The big issue: they don't have the title as the Original owner has passed away. It is the sister selling the car.

I know I don't own it until I get the title but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me to speed up the process of they can't locate the title.

I live in Alaska so the laws may be a bit different but as I read generally as well as for my state I see that I can do a form where they advertise it in the newspaper but someone else may bid in it too. I know the sister can get the title someway but I am not sure how. I want to help them as much as I can since this is a steal!

I put air in the tires bought a battery and put gas in it and it started right up and boy does it purr! I am in love!

Any tips or anything I can do to push this along since I may have missed something.

I know the rims must go. And the body is in good condition it just needs to be primed and re painted. A new hood and all headlights and windshield.

The interior needs to be redone. I know this will take some money but I just couldn't justify letting it go for $200.

Here is how she sits now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427068505.195191.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	178116

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

orimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Region: Other
If she has the death certificate and is the executor of his will she should be able to do the same thing he would have done if he (the original owner) needed to replace the title. I'm sure there are some forms at the DMV and some waiting. But it's not as though you have to worry about the guy coming back and saying you took his car.

For 200 bucks you got a deal. She needs some work but you can do whatever you want to a 200.00 car. Nicely done

oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
"Bought" 1986 Mustang Gt 5.0 for $200.

Great deal for $200 !! I'd definitely get a bill of sales for now at least. Don't know about there but in Ga a vehicle that old you can transfer ownership and request a new title in your name. Although when I bought my 68' back from the guy I sold it to,but he had the title. When I sold it to him in early 90's he had to look up and contact the last person who's name it was titled in to have them sign before he could request a new title tho. In your case that would be easy since the sister has ownership of his estate. Of course assuming the laws are the same. Best to goto the local registration/tag office and explain the situation and get their advice. Good luck with the restoration, one of my favorite body styles..

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
curt68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

1986 mustang