1990 F150 4x4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 AM   #1

1990 F150 4x4

Anyone know what this thing is? Truck has a tapping noise coming from drivers side valve cover (I assumed a lifter) and when i pulled it off, I saw this. Not sure what it is, but it seems like the previous owner did some rigging? Could this be part of what i hear tapping? The truck has 245k original miles btw, I already planned on rebuilding it soon, but was hoping to squeeze some more life out of this one before I swapped it out for a roller 5.8 351

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427871302.293112.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	178826Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427871321.629141.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	178827

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fivepointuhohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 AM   #2

Also the rocker arm can be moved around slightly if you push on it, but all the others are solid and wont budge at all.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that it is safe to say, that is the source of your tapping.
It's possible that the push rod is bent, and the previous owner installed that as a "shim" on the rocker arm in an attempt to try and quiet down the valve train noise.
I would remove that rocker arm and push rod and carefully inspect the push rod to ensure that it is straight and check the rocker arm for any abnormal wear.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
It looks to me like the previous owner was trying to quiet it down long enough to sell it! That's some common **** there! There is no way anyone could expect that "repair" to last!

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

So maybe a new rocker arm and lifter? Idk why he would do this! Wouldnt cost much to repair it the right way

Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointuhohh View Post
So maybe a new rocker arm and lifter? Idk why he would do this! Wouldnt cost much to repair it the right way

Make sure that the push rod is perfectly straight and inspect the rocker arm for wear. Something has apparently made that rocker arm get out of adjustment. If the push rod is bent, it becomes shorter and the valve lash will be too big, hence the piece of metal to try and shim it.
Check the easy to get to parts before removing the intake manifold.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 AM   #7

I put an oil pressure gauge on it (a $16 dash mount gauge from autozone) and the truck has great oil pressure on a cold start, usually about 55-60 psi, then after a few minutes of getting warm it falls to 30-40 psi, and after being driven a few miles down the road, (getting it completely warmed up) it will drop to 10 psi at idle and go up as i give it gas, but as soon as i let off and it kicks into neutral, the oil pressure drops to 10 and lower. After about 20 minutes of driving the gauge will read 0 psi at idle, only goes up if you're accelerating. I have bled the oil line to the gauge twice and made sure all the air was completely out of the line. There are no crazy noises or anything coming from the engine, its been running like this for about 250-300+ (at least) miles now and is still very responsive and seems to run absolutely fine. Ticking time bomb i know, but i just find it crazy that this thing will run with no oil pressure for so long. This is 2nd gauge in a row to read this other than the stock one, which also read 0.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's built Ford tough!

That engine looks very clean inside for the miles. Except for that one rocker arm with the shim attached... It looks like it hasn't been getting as much oil directed to it as the others.
A bad lifter, or lifters, can cause the low oil pressure that you are experiencing. Worn cam bearings can also be a cause, along with a lot of other things!
The problem with trying to replace the lifter is that you are going to be putting a brand new lifter on a camshaft that has a quarter of a million miles on it. Each lobe on the camshaft becomes "matched" to the lifter over time, and there is a good chance that a new lifter will destroy that lobe of the camshaft.

It might be a good time to start building the roller 5.8.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Yeah I was gonna pull this one apart, but since its running so well, Ive started looking for a roller 5.8l. What years are interchangeable? And will a roller motor just switch right out in place of this one? Or will there be some modifications that Ill need to do?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It will bolt right up in place of your current engine.
Here is some good info to identify a roller block.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/17...r-engines.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #11

Thanks man, cant wait to get it finished. A lift will come right after the build haha Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1428559161.200016.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	179536

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion