Who got a ticket while merging - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Who got a ticket while merging

Well I got a ticket while trying to merge on the LIE. Everyone was going fast and I was the one who got caught going 80. Going to fight this

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
If going the speed limit while merging is unsafe due to the flow of traffic being faster, then speeding up to the speed of everyone else should not warrant a ticket. I'd fight it too.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
How loud is the car? While there are a lot of people who do go full on to merge (like myself), our cars being louder stand out a lot more than the guy in a Camry on the throttle to merge.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a stock exhaust. Its probably because I have a mustang

Old 04-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It wouldn't be because you were going 80 - naaah, that couldn't be it....
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
A mustang stands out in a field of sedans and trucks, same thing happened to my dad in the Porsche. He was flowing with the traffic and the cop singled him out. Which they are probably trying to make an example of you, being you drive a unique car, compared to an Altima or a Ram 1500...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
It wouldn't be because you were going 80 - naaah, that couldn't be it....
If he was going with the flow of traffic, then everyone should have been pulled over. In this situation, you actually pose more of a danger if you go the speed limit.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
good luck but if you were nabbed doing 80 that will trump most excuses. I'm not faulting you but it'll be an uphill battle and I doubt you'll win.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
A defense that everyone else was doing it too is lame. You ever go fishing? Did you catch all the fish or just one at a time?
NO cops in general don't single you out or target cars because they are Mustangs, corvettes..whatever or because they are yellow, red purple.
They single out the cars that are hauling ***! Traffic cops get excited when they see BIG numbers on their laser, no matter what kind or color car it is.
-retired motor cop.
I'm retired, for a while now. I have no agenda or reason to fool with you, lie about, hide or cover up anything. You can choose to think those previous comments and think all sorts of conspiracy theories but the truth is, traffic cops enjoy nailing speeder. I mean 20+ over the limit speeders. And it makes no lick of difference if you're doing it in a Prius or a Mustang.
there is also no such thing as quotas or a certain number of tickets you have to write. You can write warnings, verbal warning or tickets...HOWEVER...just like ANY job..especially a career....you don't want to be THAT guy, that doesn't have anything to show for a day's work.

Turning in legitimate tickets at the end of the day for a dozen people going more than 20 over the speed limit isn't difficult! And also isn't hard to do when you are a young officer seeing the fatal accidents frequently and also knowing you're own young children are also on the same roads being toted around by their momma in the mini van.
End soap box
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
If he was going with the flow of traffic, then everyone should have been pulled over. In this situation, you actually pose more of a danger if you go the speed limit.
Yes, everyone should have been. How would you do that? Or would you just call your sergeant and say " I can't get any speeders because everyone's doing it"
I think his sarcastic response would be " hey dumbazz, could you maybe try getting one at a time?"
Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
A defense that everyone else was doing it too is lame. You ever go fishing? Did you catch all the fish or just one at a time?
NO cops in general don't single you out or target cars because they are Mustangs, corvettes..whatever or because they are yellow, red purple.
They single out the cars that are hauling ***! Traffic cops get excited when they see BIG numbers on their laser, no matter what kind or color car it is.
-retired motor cop.
I'm retired, for a while now. I have no agenda or reason to fool with you, lie about, hide or cover up anything. You can choose to think those previous comments and think all sorts of conspiracy theories but the truth is, traffic cops enjoy nailing speeder. I mean 20+ over the limit speeders. And it makes no lick of difference if you're doing it in a Prius or a Mustang.
there is also no such thing as quotas or a certain number of tickets you have to write. You can write warnings, verbal warning or tickets...HOWEVER...just like ANY job..especially a career....you don't want to be THAT guy, that doesn't have anything to show for a day's work.

Turning in legitimate tickets at the end of the day for a dozen people going more than 20 over the speed limit isn't difficult! And also isn't hard to do when you are a young officer seeing the fatal accidents frequently and also knowing you're own young children are also on the same roads being toted around by their momma in the mini van.
End soap box

Thank you for your service and thank you for the level headed explanation.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I hate to see people perpetuate the thoughts that traffic cops do this or that for silly reasons...like my car is yellow or my car is a Mustang. Most of them enjoy traffic work for various legitimate reasons, like, they've been injured or a family member has been injured or killed by bad driving. They respond to complaints about traffic stuff and actually have to talk face to face with people that are irate about the speeders on their street or you name it.
It feels good to have results when they call back and say did you do anything at all about it. They get more irate when they call to complain about the reckless kids in their neighborhood and then you catch the caller himself and cite him. "Not me, arsehole, everyone else!"

People want to drive buzzed and want to know why you aren't locking up all the drunks on the road.
People want to go to court for a ticket with the idea that the officer won't show, like its some afterthought part of his job...here's a tip, if he doesn't show...he gets a day off without pay. 3rd offense...termination.
There are bad traffic cops, just like any job. Some get cynical, jaded and rude after time. Some slipped through the cracks and are just plain old mean and enjoy being mean and load people up with multiple tickets when just one would suffice.
Some actually are nice and feel bad they have to issue tickets that are so expensive. Sometimes they will catch someone doing 80 in a 55 but instead of issuing that ticket which might be $300, they put down 70 in a 55 and tell you why. It usually ends up biting them in the azz tho when the ungrateful person still goes to court or complains to their supervisor that something must not be right if the officer really got them at 80 but put 70.
I hope I can explain some things traffic related in threads without seeming like a doosh. But probably some dooshiness will come through. It's just years of dealing with other dooshes...so to speak
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Cop said I merged too close to the car in behind me in bumper to bumper traffic while I was trying to get on the expressway. Completely normal, didn't cut the guy off or anything. Gave me a ticket, not worth the argument. I figure I've gotten away with speeding in the past so it's my karma.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang View Post
Cop said I merged too close to the car in behind me in bumper to bumper traffic while I was trying to get on the expressway. Completely normal, didn't cut the guy off or anything. Gave me a ticket, not worth the argument.
Until you get your insurance bill!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by etr3.7 View Post
Well I got a ticket while trying to merge on the LIE. Everyone was going fast and I was the one who got caught going 80. Going to fight this

Is the court in your local area? If so, go down and ask the clerk in the Judge's office. See if you can go to traffic court to keep the ticket from going onto your license. That could keep any points off of your license and keep your insurance from going up.

Forget the defense of "Everyone else was speeding, so Why did I get a ticket"?

Good Luck!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Is the court in your local area? If so, go down and ask the clerk in the Judge's office. See if you can go to traffic court to keep the ticket from going onto your license. That could keep any points off of your license and keep your insurance from going up.

Forget the defense of "Everyone else was speeding, so Why did I get a ticket"?

Good Luck!
Lucky, Newer Car then everyone else, Color, Younger Driver, You look like the kid that got his daughter pregnant, Remind him of the kid that spit on his food at Burger King.....You have a previous ticket, that he found on the computer while he was driving down the road....The list goes on.....
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Until you get your insurance bill!

Luckily minor tickets like that dont effect my rate
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:26 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
In Michigan you can take a class that you have to pay for of course and after you take it, in a certain amount of time like 30 days after your ticket, they will not report the points to your insurance company. They stay on your record, as far as the police but won't be released to insurance. I did this and it worked for me. I have been lucky with officers so far, they have been fair to me. If I was in the wrong I was and it helped me to be respectful and follow the process and it didn't turn out too bad. Luckily too I haven't had too much of this trouble in my life. The last one I had was for 35 in a 25, Also had the wrong proof of insurance in my car, I had the correct one at home. The officer didn't show to court, and they dismissed it, but I did show them my correct dated insurance card anyway, lol.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Florida has an arrangement of being able to take a class as well to keep points off of your record. Usually when a ticket is issued in Florida, your mailbox starts getting these class advertisement mailings for you to choose from.

Another option is to see if your state offers a prayer for judgement. This is the ability to ask the judge at traffic court to drop the points (you still pay the fine) if this is your first offense. Be aware though that you have to be a good boy or girl for five years; if you get another ticket within that time frame that the prayer for judgement was granted, they bring the points back from the first infraction.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Who got a ticket while merging

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
A mustang stands out in a field of sedans and trucks, same thing happened to my dad in the Porsche. He was flowing with the traffic and the cop singled him out. Which they are probably trying to make an example of you, being you drive a unique car, compared to an Altima or a Ram 1500...

Adventure till you drop

^Very true... Happened to me on a motorcycle. Cop in an airplane timed me through a speed trap 89 in a 65. I was running with the flow of traffic, cars in front of me and cars behind me. Certain types of vehicles attract attention. This is why i have my camera running now. That and for accidents.

🇺🇸
D1STRRBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1STRRBD View Post
^Very true... Happened to me on a motorcycle. Cop in an airplane timed me through a speed trap 89 in a 65. I was running with the flow of traffic, cars in front of me and cars behind me. Certain types of vehicles attract attention. This is why i have my camera running now. That and for accidents.

🇺🇸

Where might you get a dash camera ?

Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1STRRBD View Post

🇺🇸
but does the "everyone else was doing it" hold up in court?

I believe most cops won't intentionally single out Stangs but I know my RACE RED one does catch the eye.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr3.7 View Post
Where might you get a dash camera ?

I use my GoPro. I used the 3M GoPro bracket on my dash.

🇺🇸
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
but does the "everyone else was doing it" hold up in court?

I believe most cops won't intentionally single out Stangs but I know my RACE RED one does catch the eye.

I do not know if it would. When it happened to me I had no proof.

🇺🇸

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion