95 F150 motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
95 F150 motor

So my old truck has a 5.0 that's always been a doggy, gutless motor. 196,000 miles later, you can imagine how it runs now.

So... How tough/crazy/stupid would it be to swap a modular motor into my truck?

95 F150 4x4 5.0 (302) automatic

I'm thinking DOHC, maybe a 5.4 instead of 4.6.

Thoughts?

Here's a picture of my truck for good measure
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438191410.092218.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	188261

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice truck!

I usually like to keep things simple, so a 351 swap would be my first choice. It will bolt right in and you can get more NA power out of one than you can a modular... For less money!
My next choice, if I wanted to up the difficulty level a bit (Along with the power!), would be a 460 swap. For that, you will need a transmission for a 460. And there is some extra work to get the big block setup to run on the Mass Air Flow system, but otherwise, it is a bolt-in swap. The easiest way to do a 460 swap would be to find a 96-97 460 powered F-series that was intended for the California market, as a donor vehicle. They came from the factory with a MAF system rather than the Speed Density that all of the other Big Block trucks were equipped with.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I like simple and and for years said I'd like to swap in a 351. Dad always said back, "I've heard a 351 drinks gas like a 460" to which I reply "a 460 bolts right in, too".

I never thought much of the mod motors until I got my Mustang. Since then I've read up on them and really like them. If it wasn't for cutting shock towers out of my Cougar, I'd go that route with it.

So back the the original question, can it even be done? Would I gave to swap transmission, transfer case, driveshaft as well? Then some kind of tune and computer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Read into mustang ls swap procedures. It has many of the same issues you will face and it might help you out a bit

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Never mind that is going the wrong way! Doh!
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Read into mustang ls swap procedures. It has many of the same issues you will face and it might help you out a bit

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Never mind that is going the wrong way! Doh!

I have read a little about that actually. There's no way I'd ever do it or condone it. I bleed Ford blue and there's nothing but a Ford in my book

Old 07-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I'm sure there is a harness to convert
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

There is only a 1-2 MPG difference between a 302 powered truck and a 460 powered truck.

Of course it can be done. With enough time and money, ANYTHING can be done!
I would think that a 32 valve Lincoln 5.4 litre would be a perfect candidate for a swap. You will, however, run into all of the problems that you already touched on. It will probably involve swapping out the the engine, transmission, and transfer case, so you would have to use the PCM from the donor vehicle. Along with the wiring harness. And you will need to figure out how to get your electronic speedometer to work with the new wiring harness.
And probably a lot of little things that we haven't even thought of...

This swap has been done on many Mustangs, and there are plenty of build threads that detail what is involved.
Unless someone makes a transmission adapter to install an E4OD (Or 5 speed) onto a mod engine, the part where you might run into problems, is the transfer case. If your truck was 2 wheel drive, this swap would be much like putting a modular engine into a pushrod Mustang.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

We've had a few trucks on the farm with 460s and they guzzled gas. 100,000 miles ago before putting 31s on I got 16-18mpg out of it and even with the bigger tires got 16.5 once a couple years ago babying it.

It almost sounds a like a tear it apart and start trying to put it back together type of project. Boo.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing that your F150 has 3.55 gears.
I've owned a 91 F250 since it was new. It has been my daily driver for 25 years. 578k miles!
It's powered by a 460 and it has 3.55 gears. I've gotten slightly above 15 mpg on the freeway a few times but it is usually in the high 14's.
460's are no doubt thirsty beasts. That's a lot of displacement to feed! But they really aren't as bad as most people think, as long as the rear end gearing is kept reasonable. Many trucks have 4.10's, 4.63's, or even 5.13 gears! That will lower the fuel mileage incrementally!

I like 460's. They are a very inexpensive way to get decent power.

I'm actually disassembling one right now, getting it ready to go to the machine shop.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438204027947.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	188275  
Old 07-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

578k miles is a lot! Same motor? What kind of things have you done to keep it going?

I have no idea what gears my truck has. I ran into a guy at the gas station a few weeks back with a beautiful first gen Lightning and he mentioned it had 4.10s.

I think my 302 is sound internally but I think the rear main is leaking and I have a power steering leak that's driving me nuts. I guess it's got enough miles on it I've convinced myself something is bound to go wrong.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My truck is on it's second engine (400k] and, just recently, SIXTH transmission.
Aside from the transmissions, it's been a really good truck. And the transmissions have been breaking because I'm putting too much power through them.
I haven't done anything to make it last that long. It just gets driven, and when something breaks, I fix it. I don't think that there is an original part left on the truck...That moves, anyway! Lol.

You're probably right, to be concerned about a 20 year old engine with nearly 200k. Those old push rod engines can last a long time though. That engine in the picture had 280k and it still ran great! And the cylinders are so clean, that it looks like they would just need to be honed before going back into service for another 280k!
Usually, what gives out first, are the gaskets and the seals.
I put all new gaskets on my engine at about 370k and it has been reasonably trouble free for a couple of years now.
When you drive an older vehicle, you have to expect that things are going to wear out and break.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I replaced (or had a mechanic replace) oil pan gasket (multiple times), oil pump, water pump, timing set, coolant hoses, thermostat all within the past three years. I change oil every 3000 miles with a quart of Lucas with my MC10w30 and FL1A.

Grandpa bought a 95 new and last time they saw it, that 302 was over 300k.

So the truck has been cared for, the entire front suspension has been replaced along with body parts and other stuff. But it's to the point of wondering what will happen next and how bad.

As far as 302/351 parts go, what stuff you see on Mustangs can I use? GT40 swap? Or just aluminum heads? There is a part of me that wants to see how far the old girl will run with that motor, part of me wants to mod it a little, and some of me wants to buy the replacement motor and get started on it.

And I like buying Mustang parts. Clearly I need a wage increase! Haha

Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
95 F150 motor

Interesting find here. In a similar way, if anything happens to the 5.3 in my Silverado. I'm dropping an LS1 in it with H/C/I and longtubes. Well cam for starters the rest later on. It has a beefed up jasper trans in it currently. Original engine clocked over 192K miles a few days ago. Just want a little more power so when I hook it up to the boat the truck will start laughing. Like come on give me a challenge. At the moment it pulls the boat but it's working.
A good customer of mine has a Sierra that's pushing 325K original powertrain. Love the now "older" trucks. Hard to believe my truck is 15 years old.
A good friend of ours is a ford junky and he just recently sold his triton V10 truck. Original engine and 400K+ miles on it and still going strong! They don't make them like they used to.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Interesting find here. In a similar way, if anything happens to the 5.3 in my Silverado. I'm dropping an LS1 in it with H/C/I and longtubes. Well cam for starters the rest later on. It has a beefed up jasper trans in it currently. Original engine clocked over 192K miles a few days ago. Just want a little more power so when I hook it up to the boat the truck will start laughing. Like come on give me a challenge. A good customer of mine has a Sierra that's pushing 325K original powertrain. Love the now "older" trucks. Hard to believe my truck is 15 years old.
A good friend of ours is a ford junky and he just recently sold his triton V10 truck. Original engine and 400K+ miles on it and still going strong! They don't make them like they used to.

Pick your poison.

I thought an LS based motor was basically the 5.3? Or maybe the LS stuff bolts to a 5.3?

Just had another thought, I could compare frames/wheel bases, it might be easier to put my body onto a different frame.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

95 F150 motor

Well I'd rather not be investing in this engine when it's creeping up on 200K miles. Plus I'm in bow tie country, LS engines are a dime a dozen here. And there's low mileage ones for good prices. Then again I could go with a jasper one. Just wanted to up it to a 5.7. But this is a VERY long way off from happening.

Pick your poison.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, one of the reasons that I rebuilt my original engine was the rear seal started leaking. The engine itself just needed a good cleaning and it still had many more miles left in it. I always wanted a built big block though. And the stock 460's are actually kind of "pukey" in the horsepower dept., soooo, I decided to do a "street build". It made the truck fun to drive and it surprises a lot of people.
It was my version of a Lightning 3/4 ton work truck.

You would have to do some measuring, but I think that the newer trucks are wider than ours.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Well I'd rather not be investing in this engine when it's creeping up on 200K miles. Plus I'm in bow tie country, LS engines are a dime a dozen here. And there's low mileage ones for good prices. Then again I could go with a jasper one. Just wanted to up it to a 5.7. But this is a VERY long way off from happening.

Pick your poison.
Go with an 8.1 litre Recon...
I have one in an 06 Silverado 2500. It's a tourqey SOB, but that truck is THE WORST GAS GUZZLER ON THE PLANET!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

95 F150 motor

I wanted that to start with. A customer has it in his Yukon XL. Makes my 5.3 feel like my 90HP 1.8 I4 MGB. Good God they are strong. If I went down that road I'm worried I'd have to do suspension. Which I haven't researched it enough to be 100% positive on what I'd need. It's a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71.

Pick your poison.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I don't recommend the engine. And not because I'm not really a Chevy guy...anymore. lol
They were never a popular engine, because of the diesels, and I think that they were very problematic for GM. The production run didn't even last a decade. The one that I have is VERY low mileage and I didn't purchase the truck, it was inherited.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

95 F150 motor

That's why I picked the LS1. The 8.1 is strong don't get me wrong, but as you said against a diesel it's no comparison. It's more bragging rights, I've got 494 CU INs under my hood. What do you have? My answer, some day, LS1 H/C/I full exhaust.
But it will be a long way off. The engine that's in the truck now is still strong, with a lot more left in it.

Pick your poison.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrand View Post
I replaced (or had a mechanic replace) oil pan gasket (multiple times), oil pump, water pump, timing set, coolant hoses, thermostat all within the past three years. I change oil every 3000 miles with a quart of Lucas with my MC10w30 and FL1A.

Grandpa bought a 95 new and last time they saw it, that 302 was over 300k.

So the truck has been cared for, the entire front suspension has been replaced along with body parts and other stuff. But it's to the point of wondering what will happen next and how bad.

As far as 302/351 parts go, what stuff you see on Mustangs can I use? GT40 swap? Or just aluminum heads? There is a part of me that wants to see how far the old girl will run with that motor, part of me wants to mod it a little, and some of me wants to buy the replacement motor and get started on it.

And I like buying Mustang parts. Clearly I need a wage increase! Haha

Basically, a first generation Lightning engine just has the compression ratio raised a bit, and GT40 heads.
Everything performance-wise that you can do to a Mustang, you can do to a truck. The only thing, if you still want to use the truck as a truck, you do not want to build an engine that makes all of its power in the upper RPM range. Other than that, you can let your imagination, and your pocketbook, run wild.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's kind of what I thought.

If anything, I really want an increase in low end torque. Cam selection could play a large part in that.

99.9% of this truck's lifetime it's been driven more like a car. I've maybe pulled a trailer/wagon 5 times ever with it.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I just installed a set of "tri Y" headers and Y-pipe on my truck and it made a noticeable difference in the low end torque.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I just installed a set of "tri Y" headers and Y-pipe on my truck and it made a noticeable difference in the low end torque.

I always wanted to get headers on mine and said of the motor ever came out it'd have headers when it went back in.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Unlike headers on our Mustangs, the truck headers install relatively easy.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I assumed I'd want the motor out for removing the old manifolds. Otherwise I'm guaranteed to twist off a stud trying to remove them with the motor in the truck.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
That is a distinct possibility!
I had one broken bolt and it was less than a year old!

You know what they say... No pain, no gain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion