Any thoughts on Sunitomo Tires! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Any thoughts on Sunitomo Tires!

Hey guys, After getting back from the AM show its clear that I need to step my game up on wheels and tires. The plasti dip on the factory wheels I have are okay at best but not show quality and the 215's are killing the aggressive look of my car. The 215's are just not wide enough for a car like our mustangs.

So, I'm debating between going with the staggered look and the all 4 the same size look. I believe the staggered look will provide the most aggressive look to the car.

The all 4 same size look will give me the ability to rotate my tires which the staggered approach will not. I'm leaning more towards the staggered look and rolling 275's rear and 255's up front. I'm also looking at 18's to keep the tire cost down as much.

First, the wheels have to be all black. After looking at all the wheels the AMR black gloss has me popping some serious wood. That's the wheel but now the real question is this. Which tire to choose? Any thoughts and opinions on the Sumitomo HTR Z II tires?

I am fully aware this Sumitomo tire is not on the level and caliber the Mickey Thompson's are. Note, I do not track race or auto x race. I typically operate my pony on the public roadways and don't need a tire that will shine at the track. Again, I don't track my car. Because I have a 3.7 and its not F.I, I am not making crap for torque. I'm not leaving a traffic light or stop sign so hard from a dead stop that the massive 276 rwtq is causing me major traction issues now with my factory tires.

I am looking for a higher level performance tire than my current factory Michelin 215/65/17's. I was wondering if the tire tread would realistically last 40, 50k miles before needing new tires. I realize tire life depends a lot on how the driver operates the vehicle and how hard on the tires he or she may be.

Assuming someone is not doing burnouts any knowledge or opinions on how long the tire tread life may last with these Sumitomo tires. I'm not looking to buy new tires every 12,000 miles. I also do not operate my pony in the snow or ice.

Much thanks for any information you guys or girls can provide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I've put about 8k on my Sumitomos along with about 6-8 autocrosses and a track day. A ton of life left in them still. Probably 70-80%

The grip is horrible though. And they do decent in the rain.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I've put about 8k on my Sumitomos along with about 6-8 autocrosses and a track day. A ton of life left in them still. Probably 70-80%

The grip is horrible though. And they do decent in the rain.

When you say grip, do you mean they suck on dry surface? Or do you mean they do poorly for auto cross racing when hard corning?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Any thoughts on Sunitomo Tires!

Zero traction in 1st and most of 2nd. Cornering wise they are good enough to corner fine on the street and back roads, but traction when banging 1 and 2 is crap.

Autocross and track days they are garbage.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Zero traction in 1st and most of 2nd. Cornering wise they are good enough to corner fine on the street and back roads, but traction when banging 1 and 2 is crap.

Autocross and track days they are garbage.

Got ya, So since I don't track race and have an automatic it should work fine because I ain't banging gears. Ha ha ha.

Would you say those tires will provide better traction over my factory Michelin 215's? In your opinion, are they worth buying based on what I will be doing with the tires. Just driving on the streets in dry and some wet conditions

Old 08-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Sumis have a rock hard compound and will last a LOOOOONG time but have **** traction.

Are you looking for an all season tire that can still grip and not be dangerous when it drops into the 30 degrees range? That is something very much to consider if the car is a DD year round unless you have a dedicated set of winter wheels.

If this is the case, I would go for the Continental Extreme Contacts.

As for staggered vs all the same size... if you are worried about handling or tread life, get the same size all around on 9" wide rims. If not then staggered is fine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Sumis have a rock hard compound and will last a LOOOOONG time but have **** traction.

Are you looking for an all season tire that can still grip and not be dangerous when it drops into the 30 degrees range? That is something very much to consider if the car is a DD year round unless you have a dedicated set of winter wheels.

If this is the case, I would go for the Continental Extreme Contacts.

As for staggered vs all the same size... if you are worried about handling or tread life, get the same size all around on 9" wide rims. If not then staggered is fine.
I was looking at some Continental tires. I don't drive my mustang in the snow. Its not a daily driver.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I do 1.9 60fts on my HTR ZIII's with only about 20% tread left. On the street in temps below about 60 degrees they are garbage though. I'm talking about rolling on the throttle in second gear at 40mph (I have 3.31s) and getting sideways...with traction control on...and I'm not even on my 91 race tune any more I'm on the performance tune which has a much less aggressive throttle
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Just my $.02,

I have the HTR's on my 03, 245/40/17's up front and 315/35/17's out back. I am able to spin with my A4 v6 on a 91 bama tune. Tire life is good, I've had those tires on for over 40k miles, and they still have another 10k miles or so left in them. Good for what they are, cheap and get the job done.

I have 285/35/18 HTR Z II's on the back of the Mach right now. Normal driving is fine, and they've held up okay in rain. Traction sucks. Spin going into 3rd and that was before the 4.10's and tune.

Now that I bought new wheels I'm going to get some decent rubber for the street and track.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If you are just going to use them for normal driving (no track duty) in the summer/spring months they'll probably be fine. There is a considerable price difference between those and the Nittos AM packages their wheels with.

As said they, like most ultra summer performance tires perform like crap once the temp gets below 50 deg. The compound gets extremely hard reducing traction even more. That may be something to consider if you think you'll drive in the cooler months when it rains.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Just my $.02,

I have the HTR's on my 03, 245/40/17's up front and 315/35/17's out back. I am able to spin with my A4 v6 on a 91 bama tune. Tire life is good, I've had those tires on for over 40k miles, and they still have another 10k miles or so left in them. Good for what they are, cheap and get the job done.

I have 285/35/18 HTR Z II's on the back of the Mach right now. Normal driving is fine, and they've held up okay in rain. Traction sucks. Spin going into 3rd and that was before the 4.10's and tune.

Now that I bought new wheels I'm going to get some decent rubber for the street and track.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If you are just going to use them for normal driving (no track duty) in the summer/spring months they'll probably be fine. There is a considerable price difference between those and the Nittos AM packages their wheels with.

As said they, like most ultra summer performance tires perform like crap once the temp gets below 50 deg. The compound gets extremely hard reducing traction even more. That may be something to consider if you think you'll drive in the cooler months when it rains.
^This. Sumis are good street tires if you just want to cruise around but that's about it. If you are serious about hooking up then you'll spend a bit more coin. One reason I'm switching to 17s as much as I like the look of 18s better. More tire for the same or less money as the 18s. I think I will pay $1150 to my door for staggered 17s with Mickeys from AM with discount.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I was looking at some Continental tires. I don't drive my mustang in the snow. Its not a daily driver.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Continental Extreme Contact for street use.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
^This. Sumis are good street tires if you just want to cruise around but that's about it. If you are serious about hooking up then you'll spend a bit more coin. One reason I'm switching to 17s as much as I like the look of 18s better. More tire for the same or less money as the 18s. I think I will pay $1150 to my door for staggered 17s with Mickeys from AM with discount.
God, my 18x9/18x10.5 wheels, only wheels, just ran me $1076. If I didn't want them so bad I would've dropped down to 17" staggered black Saleens. But around here every Mach/Cobra is running Saleens or FR500's.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 11-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
God, my 18x9/18x10.5 wheels, only wheels, just ran me $1076. If I didn't want them so bad I would've dropped down to 17" staggered black Saleens. But around here every Mach/Cobra is running Saleens or FR500's.
Heh, I paid under $1200 all said and done on my old 98GT for 18x8/18x10 BFG tires and 235/45/18 up front and 275/40/18 out back. Including mounting. That was when the BFGs were $50 cheaper per tire tho and I caught AM having a sale on the 8" wide tires and used the 6% discount.

If those tires were still that cheap I might go 18s again but a 315 Mickey out back option would have me highly questioning myself every time I lost traction with the 275 BFGs if I went 18s.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I recently installed a set of Sumitomo HTR ZIII's on my 2012 GT in 275/40/19 all around. My experiences have been different than many expressed in this thread, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of grip offered considering the cost. My point of reference on this platform is the factory Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons, which were replaced with less then 15k on the clock.

With the factory Pirelli's I would spin 1st and 2nd gear without even trying, and after installing the ZIII's, I barely spin first and only chirp second. This is with a bone stock 5.0 on 3.31's. It is not a fair comparison however, as I moved from 235 width tires to 275's. I also noted a significant reduction in road noise, which was very surprising considering the increase in foot print. For anyone with the money, you can't go wrong with the Pilot Super Sports....however I'll be hitting a local road course soon and its gonna be a whole lot easier to justify shredding a set of $600 Sumitomos then it would be $1200 Pilot Super Sports, and for what, a second off my lap time? Anyways, I did some digging to find testing which compares the tires apples to apples. I resorted to using Tire Rack's published test data, and sorted the data for results using the same car and tire size. Here is what I found.

According to Tire Racks own testing, when compared on a BMW 328I using 225/45/17 tires, they obtained the following test track lap times. Note, all the results below were listed as being for a 2011 BMW 328I, however the results are from two separate tests on different dates (Both in June of 2011). I do not know information on temperature, etc...so this is all with a grain of salt. I've color coordinated the test results. The current Tire Rack price for 255/40/19 tires is also listed (if available in that size). I noted Tire Rack lists much more current tests for some of these tires, but those are all on different cars. I found the results I could based on the same type of car being used...a 2011 328I. I was honestly surprised by some of these results.

Results are in seconds:
HTR ZIII's $146.95
Dry 30.78 Wet 33.41

Dunlop SP Sport Max TT
Dry 30.92 Wet 32.61

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport $197.30
Dry 31.07 Wet 33.49

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110
Dry 31.57 Wet 34.12

Michelin Pilot Super Sport $274.90
Dry 30.54 Wet 31.37

Pirelli P Zero $244.75
Dry 30.73 Wet 32.21

Continental Extreme Contact DW $218.75
Dry 31.15 Wet 31.89

Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Position $220.86
Dry 31.33 Wet 32.81

What can we conclude from these test results? The ZIII's are comparable to much higher priced tires in the dry, and outclassed by the premium offerings in the wet, though compare favorably to other tires in its price range. For 53% of the price compared to Pilot Super Sports, you get .99% the dry performance and 93% the wet performance. Seems like a fair deal to me. Are these results directly comparable to our application? Probably not, but its data...on a chart....that's conducted by a place that knows a thing or two about tires.

Links to data
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=149
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=148

BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Value being a factor for road course action might look at B.F. Goodrich sport comp 2 for the win.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
I recently installed a set of Sumitomo HTR ZIII's on my 2012 GT in 275/40/19 all around. My experiences have been different than many expressed in this thread, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of grip offered considering the cost. My point of reference on this platform is the factory Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons, which were replaced with less then 15k on the clock.

With the factory Pirelli's I would spin 1st and 2nd gear without even trying, and after installing the ZIII's, I barely spin first and only chirp second. This is with a bone stock 5.0 on 3.31's. It is not a fair comparison however, as I moved from 235 width tires to 275's. I also noted a significant reduction in road noise, which was very surprising considering the increase in foot print. For anyone with the money, you can't go wrong with the Pilot Super Sports....however I'll be hitting a local road course soon and its gonna be a whole lot easier to justify shredding a set of $600 Sumitomos then it would be $1200 Pilot Super Sports, and for what, a second off my lap time? Anyways, I did some digging to find testing which compares the tires apples to apples. I resorted to using Tire Rack's published test data, and sorted the data for results using the same car and tire size. Here is what I found.

According to Tire Racks own testing, when compared on a BMW 328I using 225/45/17 tires, they obtained the following test track lap times. Note, all the results below were listed as being for a 2011 BMW 328I, however the results are from two separate tests on different dates (Both in June of 2011). I do not know information on temperature, etc...so this is all with a grain of salt. I've color coordinated the test results. The current Tire Rack price for 255/40/19 tires is also listed (if available in that size). I noted Tire Rack lists much more current tests for some of these tires, but those are all on different cars. I found the results I could based on the same type of car being used...a 2011 328I. I was honestly surprised by some of these results.

Results are in seconds:
HTR ZIII's $146.95
Dry 30.78 Wet 33.41

Dunlop SP Sport Max TT
Dry 30.92 Wet 32.61

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport $197.30
Dry 31.07 Wet 33.49

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110
Dry 31.57 Wet 34.12

Michelin Pilot Super Sport $274.90
Dry 30.54 Wet 31.37

Pirelli P Zero $244.75
Dry 30.73 Wet 32.21

Continental Extreme Contact DW $218.75
Dry 31.15 Wet 31.89

Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Position $220.86
Dry 31.33 Wet 32.81

What can we conclude from these test results? The ZIII's are comparable to much higher priced tires in the dry, and outclassed by the premium offerings in the wet, though compare favorably to other tires in its price range. For 53% of the price compared to Pilot Super Sports, you get .99% the dry performance and 93% the wet performance. Seems like a fair deal to me. Are these results directly comparable to our application? Probably not, but its data...on a chart....that's conducted by a place that knows a thing or two about tires.

Links to data
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=149
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=148

I've heard much better things about the III's over the other tires in the Z family. Though I don't believe AM offers wheel/tire packages with these tires as the OP wanted so they would have to buy them separately.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've heard much better things about the III's over the other tires in the Z family. Though I don't believe AM offers wheel/tire packages with these tires as the OP wanted so they would have to buy them separately.

They do. They sell the Z III's separately or in kits. Example Charcoal AMR Mustang Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 19x8.5 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had them as my last set and I did like them. Not if you are going to launch at the track mind you but they were ok. Hoted every Perelli P-Zero ever tried. So far my favorites are the NITTO InVO I have now. that said might try Toyo Proxy next time. Getting off topic though lol, the Sumitomo are fine if you aren't dragging or tracking
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion