Let's talk resell value of mods on car - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I won't buy a modded vehicle. If someone else wants to it's their money. I personally want a clean slate and to make sure everything is done to my standards. The guy I sold mine to had never owned a mustang. I did my best to educate him on common issues, and encouraged him to call me if he had any questions in the future.

In short, I'm not preaching anything. My preference is just that, mine. I want a stock vehicle. Less time and money I have to invest to get things the way I want them. I also feel there is a much lower risk of buying a car thats been dogged out. Not 100% foolproof I'll admit, but puts the odds in my favor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Stock mustangs can also be dogged out, not just modded ones. 😆

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #37
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
It's not a foolproof method like I said, but I does tip the odds in your favor. There is always an exception to every rule. Buying used always comes with risks.

Like the risk of not taking that first year depreciation hit that new cars get.

But yes, to me, mods do not add anything. I could see getting a few extra hundred dollars at Ford if you trade it in and some of the mods you added are out of their brochure. Such as the classic window louvers, gt500 spoiler, and such.

When I was searching for a 5.0. At first they were prepared to offer 14k for the car. After examining it, they bumped it to 17k for trade value. The Sales Manager admitted it would be an easy resale as the mods were what he said "Marketable by Ford and tasteful".

Plus they priced it as a Premium shortly after and it got me an extra ~1k. Putting me near 18k for trade. LOL. Oh how I love trolling people with my base model.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I won't buy a modded vehicle. If someone else wants to it's their money. I personally want a clean slate and to make sure everything is done to my standards. The guy I sold mine to had never owned a mustang. I did my best to educate him on common issues, and encouraged him to call me if he had any questions in the future.

In short, I'm not preaching anything. My preference is just that, mine. I want a stock vehicle. Less time and money I have to invest to get things the way I want them. I also feel there is a much lower risk of buying a car thats been dogged out. Not 100% foolproof I'll admit, but puts the odds in my favor.

I personally find a modded mustang desireable to purchase as long as it has mods I wanted and going to buy anyway. If there were two mustangs, same color, same price but one had 6k mods into it, the modded one becomes more desirable to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #39
Kevin.Cook

The reasons I would not want a modded Mustang is if it had a ton of mods that I found distasteful. As then I would have to spend EXTRA money on top of the sale price either getting the parts I would like to have put on it, or resetting it to stock. Either way, it costs money. And yes you might be able to make a few dollars on distasteful mods, but the buyers for that junk are few in between.

But if it had say an aluminum driveshaft, some kick a** mufflers like Flowmaster or Borlas, and some other things that would save me money in the long run - and of course the car was not beat to hell, I would buy it.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #40
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mods are worth some $ if they are sold by themselves.....less if still on the car it's up to the seller if it's worth the effort to remove them and sell them separate. I have bought most of my mods (simple bolt on stuff) used and for a few items I was lucky enough to sell the oem stuff (intake/exhaust) most of the other stuff I've done will probably not be worth my effort to remove and sell.

I gotta ask are you considering selling yours?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If you can't get credit for a mod on kbb.com, it's not increasing the value. And banks don't loan extra money for modded cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #42
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
If you can't get credit for a mod on kbb.com, it's not increasing the value. And banks don't loan extra money for modded cars.

There is an option for spoiler on kbb.com
Old 09-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
When I bought my 2012 it had a cold air intake and Magnaflo cat backs that I could see. Later I found out it had factory 3.31's, Ford Performance Pack suspension and a rear view mirror back-up camera added too. The dealer added nothing for the mods either. I could not be happier with saving thousands that I could spend on other mods instead but the last owner got nothing for them.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #44
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
When I bought my 2012 it had a cold air intake and Magnaflo cat backs that I could see. Later I found out it had factory 3.31's and Ford Performance Pack suspension added too. The dealer added nothing for the mods either. I could not be happier with saving thousands that I could spend on other mods instead but the last owner got nothing for them.
Sometimes the hassle of taking it off can turn people away. Especially if they just happen to pop in at a dealer and they gave them the car they have been wanting but they wanted the trade that same day. Which happens.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
There is an option for spoiler on kbb.com

Exactly

alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Mods are worth some $ if they are sold by themselves.....less if still on the car it's up to the seller if it's worth the effort to remove them and sell them separate. I have bought most of my mods (simple bolt on stuff) used and for a few items I was lucky enough to sell the oem stuff (intake/exhaust) most of the other stuff I've done will probably not be worth my effort to remove and sell.

I gotta ask are you considering selling yours?
Not at all. I just see a lot of posts in general from people selling there cars shortly after spending big money on mods and thinking people will get back a good portion of the money laid out.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ exactly. My godfather found that out the hard way.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #48
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Not at all. I just see a lot of posts in general from people selling there cars shortly after spending big money on mods and thinking people will get back a good portion of the money laid out.

This all pretty much sums up the thought process of a lot of those Mustang owners....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	546b3f7c1aaa4_-_mustang-e79jou-lg.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	190505   Click image for larger version

Name:	10428632_10207698980620327_2065034714033639338_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	190506  

Name:	11226918_10207690531849113_4614300163389299225_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	190507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modded Mustang.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	190508  

Name:	WreckedLagunaSeca.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	190509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yum.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	190510  

Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
This all pretty much sums up the thought process of a lot of those Mustang owners....
Ba ha ha ha ha

Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Like others have said, if its something that i would want to do to the car, it checks out as far as receipts, professionaly installed, documented etc i would pay a little more for it. That being said i see cars on craigslist near me that are 5-7k new edges that are supercharged and their asking 12-13k for them. IF they were asking a reasonable price and everything checks out as i stated above then i may pay an extra 2k or so since its already done. But overall i would rather spend a little more than KBB value on a low mileage, well cared for mostly stock car. I agree also if you want to recoup some of your mod money than you need to take the parts off replace the OEM parts back on, sell the car and the modded parts separately. Now mods like exhuast, simple bolt ons are not a turn off to me and i dont really consider those parts non-stock, as long as their quality and installed correctly etc. But i will not pay a premium price for them either. Its a tough one really. It is like throwing money away and you have to view it that way when you decide to spend it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I always buy stock... Or I keep looking. Took me 6 months to find a 2004 gt with zero mods and stock. It was actually owned by and old lady bought it 3 yrs ago with 59,xxx. Has 90,000 at this moment

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

And the reason I'm that way is I beat the hell out of my modded cars... Not that un modded aren't, but makes me feel better when I take that cherry lol😈

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion