Focus RS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Focus RS

So I saw the new Focus RS this week at the Indy Auto show here in Indianapolis. They would NOT let us see inside the cabin or under the hood. My guess is that this car is already owned by someone.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I wanted to know what others think of the RS. 350hp all wheel drive and track ready certainly makes me a little more interested in a 4 door car lol. Will this get people to quit buying Subaru WRX STI's? Will this car coming to America make it so people quit matching Subaru's up against Mustangs?

IG: @rcodemach1
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The lesser model ST is fun to drive ---- VERY quick steering and very well sorted suspension. Our GT Mustang's steering feels slow and heavy by comparison.
I would love to drive the new RS. All that HP and 4 wheel drive sounds like a BLAST!
0-60 time: 4.7 sec . Top Speed: 165 mph for the RS....sounds like anyone matching one with a GT is going to have to be at the top of their game.
I am sure however, that the first one of these to end up next to me at a light will rev me the same as all the STi's do...........
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
The lesser model ST is fun to drive ---- VERY quick steering and very well sorted suspension. Our GT Mustang's steering feels slow and heavy by comparison.
I would love to drive the new RS. All that HP and 4 wheel drive sounds like a BLAST!
0-60 time: 4.7 sec . Top Speed: 165 mph for the RS....sounds like anyone matching one with a GT is going to have to be at the top of their game.
I am sure however, that the first one of these to end up next to me at a light will rev me the same as all the STi's do...........

Haha yes probably hard to resist with those specs. I'm surprised the 0-60 isn't a bit lower, but I guess it's more corner focused rather than from the a dig.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Personally, I love this car. I would gladly daily a Focus/Fiesta ST or any RS. My only issue is no DCT/automatic option. The STi and Evo were monsters, but it's nice to see new competition.
Mugeismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
Personally, I love this car. I would gladly daily a Focus/Fiesta ST or any RS. My only issue is no DCT/automatic option. The STi and Evo were monsters, but it's nice to see new competition.
I agree that I love the A6 in our GT........but I am also really glad to see that Ford is not offering one in these cars. True to the performance image of both with a shift-your-own stick!!!!
I'll bet with 4 wheel drive, the RS is going to give the GT a real run on a race track. It will be able to put the power down a lot earlier on exit from every corner.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree that I love the A6 in our GT........but I am also really glad to see that Ford is not offering one in these cars. True to the performance image of both with a shift-your-own stick!!!!
I'll bet with 4 wheel drive, the RS is going to give the GT a reall run on a race track. It will be able to put the power down a lot earlier on exit from every corner.
I understand the purist argument, but I would like to see both options available. VW has proven DCT + performance motor is viable. Due to my disability, I can no longer drive a manual. Some of us would like cake and be able to eat it.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I understand the purist argument, but I would like to see both options available. VW has proven DCT + performance motor is viable. Due to my disability, I can no longer drive a manual. Some of us would like cake and be able to eat it.

I think it would be cool to see both as well. In fact, maybe something a step up with more advanced tech showing progress with those autos over the current setup. I heard Ford was working with some other top manufacturers to advance the tech. Anyone else hear that?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I completely understand where you are coming from. A manual trans for me at 63 years old would be a huge decision for my knees.

Development of a similar transmission to the one in the Golf would cost big $$'s. Ford may very well be developing one and came out with these cars without one to get them to the market?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I like the RS but believe it is overpriced with a base Msrp of 36k I just don't see ford selling a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I like the RS but believe it is overpriced with a base Msrp of 36k I just don't see ford selling a ton of them.
Have you priced a loaded STi lately? $43,000 sticker --- not kidding!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Have you priced a loaded STi lately? $43,000 sticker --- not kidding!

That, and they haven't changed much at all in a long time. They are due for a significant upgrade all around.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodemach1 View Post
That, and they haven't changed much at all in a long time. They are due for a significant upgrade all around.
I agree. The STi has the older design engine, while the WRX has the newer one and only 37 less HP than the STi! My son just bought a loaded WRX Limited in their bright blue color, and it is NICE! Sounds good for a flat four too.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I completely understand where you are coming from. A manual trans for me at 63 years old would be a huge decision for my knees.

Development of a similar transmission to the one in the Golf would cost big $$'s. Ford may very well be developing one and came out with these cars without one to get them to the market?
Valid point. They would need to partner with someone to do it quickly or invest heavily to go it alone. If I remember correctly, the high cost of development is why they said they haven't considered it yet. Hopefully they will change their mind.

With rebates, I'm sure the car will be on par price wise with the STi and Golf R. Either way, it'll spur new development and interest in the arena. I'm still hoping Nissan comes to their senses and jumps in too. The more cars that fit this bill (turbo/awd/hatch), the better.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I've been falling for the RS more and more as I read on it. Of course on all the other sites I've seen talking about it, everyone says "oh, it's just another joke from Ford, no one is ever actually going to buy one of these", but I have a feeling this thing is going to make some people eat their words. I can't wait to see one of these on the streets, that's one bad little car.
Colburt195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have been more interested in this car as well. I may be offloading my '14 F150 next spring and I would love to pick up an RS as a DD, especially with the AWD and practicality (being a 4 door and probably pulling upper 20's/30 mpgs).

I bet it will be tough to get one up here in the sticks in Wisconsin. Dealers are lucky to get ahold of one specialty car like that and the mark ups will most likely put the car in range of a fully loaded GT's MSRP.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I did have a rental of the base model Focus (yeah I know) and wasn't impressed by it. I am willing to wager that double the HP and drive wheels improves it a lot! I'm sure it's a hoot to drive.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm been debating trading in the mustang since I saw they were releasing this. My brother has a 16 ST with a few bolt ons and it's a fun car to drive. Awd and 350 hp should be a blast.
Montini23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I really want to see one of these in person. The ST doesn't look very good in pics but in person looks a lot better. I look forward to seeing one to decide if it'll be worth trading for one
Montini23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion