New Daily! Don't get Excited! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
New Daily! Don't get Excited!

Today I unloaded my DD and decreased my car payment considerably. Leased a 2016 Chevy Equinox for 24mths, 15k miles a year. My brother in law recently started working for GM in their headqaurters so I got his discount among others, $4k in discounts on the lease total. Wanted to lease a Ford but I couldnt pass up the extra discount. Its a pretty nice little SUV, not as many amenities as my old daily but it will do and in less than 2 years Ill be able to get something else. Perfect for me as I have always got rid my cars every 2-3 yrs due to boredom. luckily Ive been able to not lose on them, dont gain either. Anyway it was cheaper due to specials on certain models to get this one which is just one step under the maxed out version. Heated seats, navigation, heated mirrors, factory remote start, premium black metallic paint, LED running lights, bluetooth, larger wheels, ext trim package, HIDs,etc, etc. Anyway I like it so far and it should serve me well, good gas mileage too, flex fuel but I probably wont use it. Only my 2nd new car Ive ever owned. Just thought I would share since Im excited to shed some bills, and have a nice new vehicle to drive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Wont let me attach pics right now, if anyone cared, lol.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and my salesman is working on a deal for trading in my wifes car and she is going to lease one or something else as well. Shed even more money if it works out. They paid my old car off, didnt even have to hassle or negotiate it, just one back and forth, they came in 1k less than what I owed, said if they would come up the 1k or discount the new one 1k we had a deal, and they did it with no haggling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Our second car (and winter car when the GT is stored) is a 2015 Equinox --- 4 cylinder auto, 2LT. It has everything yours does minus the nav.
Great little SUV, but the 4 cylinder is better in town than out on the highway on our steep mountains and hills............
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah its the 182hp 4 cyl., quite a bit less power than what Im used to but it will do for the commute. Luckily no major hills, or mountains for me. Had it on the freeway today and it felt good at 80 cruising.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

2016 Equinox

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453478155884.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	196035   Click image for larger version

Name:	1453478184097.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	196036  

Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Very nice. Personally prefer Fords but with the deals you got It'd be hard to pass up. And GM has definitely improved their vehicles over the past few years.

Do remember that when your lease term is up, its best to simply turn it in. Do not take the option to buy because most likely after the term the residual value is not in your favor and you will end up paying more for the vehicle than if you would've purchased new.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Very nice. Personally prefer Fords but with the deals you got It'd be hard to pass up. And GM has definitely improved their vehicles over the past few years.

Do remember that when your lease term is up, its best to simply turn it in. Do not take the option to buy because most likely after the term the residual value is not in your favor and you will end up paying more for the vehicle than if you would've purchased new.
Yeah they were to hard to pass up. Actually we are very close to a deal on trading in my wifes car. They are going to pay it off, then 0 down and 24 mths at 259 a mth for a 2016 Silverado double cab 4x4, 12k miles a year. Getting a better deal on it because it already has 2k miles, as a demo. This will be mine to drive and she will drive the Equinox. If I get too close to miles since I drive a little more we will switch it up for a bit, and ill be driving my Mustang in the summer to quite a bit. So we may have 2 vehicles that are new, no maint, and a short term to decide if we want to lease again or buy or whatever for cheaper than our 4 yr old cars were that both needed things, not major but nonetheless.

I wouldnt buy either one of these vehicles after the lease, not even consider it. Ive only leased once before but I know the residual value it usually too high where you could find the same thing used, same mileage etc for less. Like in the case of our Equinox, after the lease and intial discounts it will still be over 20k to buy, not gonna happen. I would not buy either one of these vehicles new either due to their ridiculous pricing! The Equinox stickered at 31k and the truck at 47k, nice vehicles but not that nice, lol!! My goal is to save a little money over the next 2 yrs and buy a decent DD for winter and whatever else, and look into financing a 2011-2014 maybe 15 Mustang GT. Obviously will be looking for the lowest mileage and price when doing so. At that point I will probably sell one of my Mustangs to add to my down payment (if I will be able to part with one of them or dont come up with some ridiculous reason to have 3, which is entirely possible).

I would have gone Ford since we can get the family discount on that too but the leases were more per mth, more money down, and we didnt love the Edge (Equinox equivalent kind of). I would love to have a Ford truck the equivalent to the Silverado but the deal isnt as good and they wont pay off our current car fully like the Chevy dealer will.

Im a Ford guy too for many reasons. I really dont like the whole government bail out of GM and think the whole thing is a little shady, but a deal is a deal. When trying to cut some costs it just made sense in our scenario and budget to do this. The Silverado isnt a 100% done deal yet but should be soon.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Congratulations. Looks like a really nice piece.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Smart if you get a new car often. I dunno why more ppl don't lease if they make payments and don't buy outright. My uncle has leased 1 vehicle now and his opinion is that he will never again buy one instead of lease. Zero maintenance costs to worry about ever, something new every 2 or 3 years, lower monthly payments etc... He has a completely loaded Pilot that is like $350/mo. Thing is nice as hell and he'll probably get another one in 3 years and have the exact same payment.

Congrats on the new vehicles even if they are GM lol. At least you don't have to worry about them blowing up right after the warranty is done.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Smart if you get a new car often. I dunno why more ppl don't lease if they make payments and don't buy outright. My uncle has leased 1 vehicle now and his opinion is that he will never again buy one instead of lease. Zero maintenance costs to worry about ever, something new every 2 or 3 years, lower monthly payments etc... He has a completely loaded Pilot that is like $350/mo. Thing is nice as hell and he'll probably get another one in 3 years and have the exact same payment.

Congrats on the new vehicles even if they are GM lol. At least you don't have to worry about them blowing up right after the warranty is done.
Haha yeah for sure. And leasing does make sense in that regard, absolutely.

I leased once a long time ago, 99 Ford Ranger when I was a senior in Highschool, 127 a month lol. At that time it bothered me that I couldnt "mod" it as the small truck scene was cool then and I bought my next car. Then I ended up a few years later owning that car once I paid it off, but also then lived a long distance from work and racked up some serious mileage. I have found on the couple I have actually had a full loan term they are used up or need some kind of major repair not too long after, unless you barley drive them. For me right now, its more cost effective to lease, no maint, even free oil changes for 2 years, and we will always have a newer reliable vehcile in the household. So at this point like my previous post I may buy a used Coyote when this is over and my wife will lease a new vehicle, but thats far off and Im sure Ill change my mind several times over.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Congratulations. Looks like a really nice piece.

Adventure till you drop.
Thanks, we like it so far. Little 4 has enough power for normal DDing and it has plenty of room. Gets decent gas mileage and only is about 25 bucks to fill the tank currently, which will be once every 7 or 8 days.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If the truck deal works out, maybe they wont notice if I swap the engine out of my Mustang for the 5.3?? Then I can start a thread on my 5.3 Mustang swap and piss everyone off.

I do have major respect for some of the GM motors they have put out in the past 30 yrs or more. I had a 3.8l Bonneville a few years ago, drove that thing for 3 yrs and no issues, was somewhat lower mileage but that was a great V6 they had. Of course it had something in common with the mod motor and the plastic intake failing, haha.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I've done with my last two trucks. Bought a couple and decided leasing makes more sense as I like a different daily every couple years and put less than 12k miles on a year.

2 or 3 year lease, new truck with 3 year/36k bumper to bumper coverage, $500 wear care for any scratches, dings, dents, stains etc that might while actually using it as a truck.

If you don't mind having a monthly payment and won't mod it's the way to go. New, fully loaded vehicles depreciate far too much these days to make financing 6+ years worthwhile imo. If you don't want payments, buy used, pay it off in a few years and be happy.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 01-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

New Daily! Don't get Excited!

I'd like to see that swap.
I also really liked my Bonneville SSEI. No issues with the engine. Car was a lot of fun. Drove it for about 35k miles. Miss the car a lot, but it's replacement was worth it.

Adventure till you drop.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd like to see that swap.
I also really liked my Bonneville SSEI. No issues with the engine. Car was a lot of fun. Drove it for about 35k miles. Miss the car a lot, but it's replacement was worth it.

Adventure till you drop.
Yeah if I was looking for a winter only kind of car, I would start with a Bonneville or something in that was in the 3.8 family. Mine was a 98 SE, so no frills, but all power and very comfortable, probably the most comfortable car I have ever had. It was real clean inside and out with no rust. Traded it on the DD I just traded in on the Equinox, they gave me exactly what I paid for it so I basically drove it for the maint costs.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Now do the 5.3 swap!

Adventure till you drop.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now do the 5.3 swap!

Adventure till you drop.
Im on it. Just have to secure the truck for sure!

Old 01-30-2016, 12:52 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

One thing I wonder with these leased cars... Can you load an aftermarket tune to them and then flash back to stock when it comes time to turn in? Do they even check?

I was just half assedly looking at what all it would cost to buy a new Mustang/Camaro/Challenger as a daily and the lease vs buy difference was damn near $250/mo on some. Got to thinking that a simple catback and tune and maybe some wheels on one of those new cars would be a badass driver and just return to stock after 3 years and get a new one or buy it outright if I really liked it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
One thing I wonder with these leased cars... Can you load an aftermarket tune to them and then flash back to stock when it comes time to turn in? Do they even check?

I was just half assedly looking at what all it would cost to buy a new Mustang/Camaro/Challenger as a daily and the lease vs buy difference was damn near $250/mo on some. Got to thinking that a simple catback and tune and maybe some wheels on one of those new cars would be a badass driver and just return to stock after 3 years and get a new one or buy it outright if I really liked it.

Seriously doubt they check.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:59 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I dont think they check either. Anyone I have talked to that has had a lease including my wife who has had a few before me, said they pulled in, they walked the exterior quickly, checked the mileage, then she signed off and left. Once your signed off and have returned it I dont think there is a ton they can come back at you for unless you deliberately ruined something like the engine or whatever.

You could probably do the cat back, tune, and of course wheels and tires. If I get the truck I was already thinking of a cat back that I could swap in, then swap back out when it gets turned in, lol.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The only issue may be with a cat back is if it does have to go in for any repairs or recalls, then they would see it or hear it. If they even care to pay attention that its a lease that is when their working on it, especially if its taken to a diff dealer than you bought it from

Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

I had a buddy back in the day lease a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. He went straight home and put it on bags, put wheels/tires on it, exhaust, intake... Drove it for 2 years, returned it to stock and nothing was said. When he did the bags he straight cut the frame in several spots, c notch the whole nine... No one said anything to him. Oh and he never once changed the oil because he thought it would be funny. So some poor sap bought this truck that went 30k on the original oil and the frame was dragged all over town for 2 years.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

I was kicking around a black Challenger RT Scat Pack, lease is like $350/mo and buying is almost $600 wtf. And that $600/mo is over 6 years at a real good interest rate. 6 years is like two model redesigns these days.

I'd ask the dealer about a catback, I can't imagine something that does not void the warranty would cause problems with a leased vehicle and maintenance.

And if it did... jackstands and and a few hours to swap it back and make that the penance for saving $250/mo.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I had a buddy back in the day lease a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. He went straight home and put it on bags, put wheels/tires on it, exhaust, intake... Drove it for 2 years, returned it to stock and nothing was said. When he did the bags he straight cut the frame in several spots, c notch the whole nine... No one said anything to him. Oh and he never once changed the oil because he thought it would be funny. So some poor sap bought this truck that went 30k on the original oil and the frame was dragged all over town for 2 years.

Hilarious!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I was kicking around a black Challenger RT Scat Pack, lease is like $350/mo and buying is almost $600 wtf. And that $600/mo is over 6 years at a real good interest rate. 6 years is like two model redesigns these days.

I'd ask the dealer about a catback, I can't imagine something that does not void the warranty would cause problems with a leased vehicle and maintenance.

And if it did... jackstands and and a few hours to swap it back and make that the penance for saving $250/mo.

That's cheap

Old 01-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely lease it. Probably just do what you said, cat back, tune, wheels and tires and it would be a bad mamma jamma to drive everyday. And whatever you do DO NOT CHANGE the OIL!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

^ lol. I always felt bad for that poor truck

Old 01-30-2016, 01:16 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lmao, Amsoil oil and filter and I dunno about 4 years but I bet it'd be ok for 2.

I need to get the Steeda on the road first. I own that and it has 34k on it...

As for a daily tho. Seriously considering leasing something for my wife next year. Like... something cheap and reliable and safe. Also if I start flying again and am gone a lot she can take it in for any issues at all and not have to worry about a damn thing.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:20 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Yes I believe the Steeda is LONG overdue for its maiden voyage. I remember when you were tossing around the idea of getting it done before the AM show last year.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao, Amsoil oil and filter and I dunno about 4 years but I bet it'd be ok for 2.

I need to get the Steeda on the road first. I own that and it has 34k on it...

As for a daily tho. Seriously considering leasing something for my wife next year. Like... something cheap and reliable and safe. Also if I start flying again and am gone a lot she can take it in for any issues at all and not have to worry about a damn thing.
That sounds like a great plan really if your going to be gone quite a bit. There are so many lease deals under $300 a mth if you want a safe, fuel efficient, mid size SUV. Heck if you go with Ford or GM I can get you a code to use for the discount, unless you already have access to one. They want everyone to use it so they sell more vehicles anyway.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Yes I believe the Steeda is LONG overdue for its maiden voyage. I remember when you were tossing around the idea of getting it done before the AM show last year.

Yeah the knee had other plans... did not get that thing 100% straight until a few months ago.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:35 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
That sounds like a great plan really if your going to be gone quite a bit. There are so many lease deals under $300 a mth if you want a safe, fuel efficient, mid size SUV. Heck if you go with Ford or GM I can get you a code to use for the discount, unless you already have access to one. They want everyone to use it so they sell more vehicles anyway.

I'll have to remember this in about a year if it still applies but that is good to know.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I turned in my '13 F150 the inspector checked the interior, exterior and started it up. Only "tool" he had was clipboard lol. And he wasn't even from Ford, they subcontract the inspection to a different company.
When I first leased that truck it did not come with remote start but the dealer let me roll that into the lease, even included the installation and was fully warrantied. They said basically any accessory that was Ford or FRPP could be added and rolled in. So I imagine FRPP product like axlebacks could be rolled in on a Mustang. Not sure if Dodge or GM does that.

Considering this option for a new S550 this summer. The new v8's make plenty of power with just an intake, exhaust and tune. Mated up with a 3.73 rear it would a fun yet reliable/fully warrantied daily, and if I hated it in the winter I could always get into another F150 the following year.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll have to remember this in about a year if it still applies but that is good to know.
Yeah no problem

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion