I'm probably going to have a new truck tomorrow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm probably going to have a new truck tomorrow

I test drove this F150 and looked it over real good for a while today. It's in pretty decent shape for the mileage. But really, how good are these trucks, drive train wise? A couple friends are really pushing me to the silverado 1500, but the interior on those up to the 2007 redesign are complete garbage IMO. I drive a lot, so a good interior is a must.

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat in Virginia Beach, VA 23452: Truck Details - 422743627 - Autotrader

My little 98 Ranger is getting old and tired. And when used for my pool tech job, its payload capacity is pretty much maxed out when loaded with chemicals, salt, parts and a few tools. Just really want a more capable truck to not only use for work, but among other uses that's beyond the Mustangs' capabilities.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Some of these older trucks (depending on year and engine) have two piece spark plugs that are a known PITA to change.
If this truck has those, and they have been in there over 80,000 miles --- have the dealer change those before you buy.
The two piece plugs are known to break off and have to be drilled out.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
My mom in law has the same year and model you listed. The transmissions have known issues with the needle bearings. One day her trans locked up. She never tows or hauls anything. Boom 1800 bucks to rebuild it.

Then as stated above she had to have the spark plugs done. She had to leave it at ford for 3 days so they could get them out and changed. She is the original owner of this truck and it has just over 100k on it.

I love ford, but if I was going to buy a F150 I'd buy a newer one where the trans issue was addressed and the sparkplugs are not an issue.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Highly doubt the dealer will have any info on those plugs, it's just a small used car dealer. Then again, who the hell leaves original plugs in any vehicle for 170,000+ miles?? It runs smooth, so I'm hoping they've been changed already.

Would love to have a newer year model truck with the features I wan't, but they're much more expensive.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
2004 was the first year of the redesign. 3V engine and an updated 4R trans. The 3V... cam phasers and the spark plugs make it a damn nightmare but I highly doubt the original plugs are in there with those miles on it.

Also with those miles on it... I dunno. I mean it looks to be in amazing condition for those miles. My 03 Expy has 140k on it and still runs like a champ. These things can last a very long time... My Expy has the 2V tho. 2V is easier to work on, less to go wrong.

Anyway, go over it with a fine tooth comb and make your decision either way.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I checked it over real good again yesterday, then made my decision to purchase. It's gonna need a couple little things worked on that's no big deal. On my next day off I'm getting a new double din dvd radio since their is no way to connect my iPhone for music. I'll piece together, over time, a decent audio system on the cheap.

For some reason the passenger powered seat track is not sliding back all the way, seems like it's hitting something in the track itself.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Well seeing how you bought the truck already I won't beat the truck up too much.

The aforementioned cam phaser and spark plug issues are the big ones. But as said at those miles the plugs have most likely been changed. If the truck sounds like a cold started cummins, then the phasers are on their way out. The 5.4 3v's are inherently noisy engines just like the other modulars, but if the phasers are truly bad you will notice it at idle.

I owned an 07 XLT 3V a few years ago and here are some things I experienced.

1. Passenger side footwell was occasionally damp. turns out the A/C condenser had a drip hose that managed to direct the water towards the firewall and eventually into the footwell. Never fixed it, sold the truck. It is a cheap fix, $5 elbow at the hardware store but it takes a while to do since condenser is a pain to access.
I have heard that the 3rd brake light on the roof can leak and allow water to run into the rear of the cabin. Might want to do a water bubble check on it and re-seal. Easy enough fix.

2. Window regulators have a tendency to go out. The plastic gears give out, so if you have to replace them go with aftermarket and you won't have to worry bout it again. Yours might have been replaced already but if not don't be surprised if you do have to replace them.

3. Fuel pump module located directly above the spare tire can get rusted and corroded and will throw a fuel pressure code. I had the dealer diagnose and repair it which ran ~$300 back in 2011 but I believe Dorman sells a stand off bolt kit that elevates the module off the frame and helps prevent future corrosion. Not hard to do yourself btw. Stupid a** design that is most prevalent in areas that see heavy salt in winter.

4. I didn't experience it but two co workers that had 04-05's had a caliper seize on them while towing. Due to clogged brake lines, not sure if it's a design defect or improper fluid. Again, at the miles I imagine the calipers have been replaced.

5. The integrated wheel ends (IWE) part of the 4wd system would not fully engage, causing a grinding noise while driving. Basically the wheel ends were half engaged in the hubs slowly grinding the two away. Not good for extended amounts of time. Hopefully you checked the 4wd system, it usually happens shortly after being engaged if the problem is there.
2 Causes:
- solenoid located on the firewall was exposed and could get wet, causing it to intermittently engage before completely faulting out. Ford did revise the design by adding a shield over it to prevent water from completely soaking it. This was revised in 05 I believe. Don't believe there was a formal recall, just a TSB.
- I did have the problem with my 07 but it had the rain shield revision. Air bubble in the check valve caused the same issue. Purged the line and it never happened again. Damn dealer had the truck for two days and couldn't figure it out

*The 4W actuators have been known to seize if not used for a while so it's best to engage the 4WD system on occasion just to keep them moving.

Believe it or not despite these issues I still liked the truck. It was roomy, had a nice interior (over the competition) and had enough power for its time. It made several tows with no problems and did several moves for myself and friends. It did not compare to the 13 Ecoboost I traded it in for though

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

#1 was the exact same issue with the Dakota I once had, easy fix. I've read about the cam phaser issue on these engines. So far it's not showing any problem or noises their, the top end is very quiet.

But, it does have a barely audible knock in the bottom end once warmed up. Not sure if it's something to be concerned about, but I don't ever expect a high mileage engine to be completely perfect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion