Cobra Radar Detector - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cobra Radar Detector

Anybody else have this or similar? Guy at work have it to me, so can't complain. free is free lol. Any good? Pos? Tell me what you think. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465609251.516426.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	202292Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465609267.979642.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	202293Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465609280.749755.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	202294Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465609293.454688.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	202295
Taylor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I was driving with it in my truck, and it started going off, in City mode, although I didn't see anything maybe it was picking something up I wasn't seeing. Also, I drove past a cop, and it didn't go off, but the cop was not sitting at a speed trap or even had his laser out, he was just driving around. Should it have picked up something? Or only if there is a radar or laser detected?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_SS View Post
Update: I was driving with it in my truck, and it started going off, in City mode, although I didn't see anything maybe it was picking something up I wasn't seeing. Also, I drove past a cop, and it didn't go off, but the cop was not sitting at a speed trap or even had his laser out, he was just driving around. Should it have picked up something? Or only if there is a radar or laser detected?
A radar/laser detector is just a tool, and like any tool, there is a learning curve to its proper usage. This may be a bit long, but bear with me... I hope it will be useful to you.

As you have already figured out, it will only detect radar or laser, not a cop. If the cop isn't using radar or laser, it will not alert. If the cop is using radar in "Instant-On" mode, it will only alert when he is clocking a vehicle. At other times, the radar may be on all the time, and the detector should alert when you are in close proximity to the cop.

Laser is very focused and line-of-sight, so it will usually only alert on laser when the cop is targeting you. Sometimes you will get lucky enough to get a laser alert when a vehicle ahead of you is targeted, but usually if you get a laser alert, it is too late... the cop will already have your speed. Laser detection is normally most useful when combined with either active or passive countermeasures.

False alerts: Many devices use radar wavelengths nowadays, everything from those automatic door openers at the supermarket to the adaptive cruise control on vehicles may set off the radar detector. These usually operate on K band. I have found that there are very few law enforcement departments that still use K band radar, most K band alerts are false. Note that I said most, not all. I recently was surprised when I got clocked with K band by a city LEO on I-10 down south! There seems to be a lot less false alerts on Ka - those are almost always the real deal. Laser can have the occasional false alert.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. I would suggest that if you really want to make the most of your detector, that you study how radar works and the techniques that LEO uses to catch speeders with radar and lidar (laser). It will make a difference in your effective use of the detector.

Be careful out there...
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

Region: Massachusetts
I think you mean X band, that is what is used for door openers and such and hasn't been used by the cops in years.

My detectors allow you to turn off X band.

The cops use K and Ka band

Dave
dgc333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
No, I meant K band. Most of the places I have traveled have little activity (LEO or civilian) on X band. But, I realize that different areas will have a different mix of who uses what. I've never been to Alaska, so I'll be happy to take your word on radar band usage up there.

Most of the automatic doors around here are on K band. There is only one old convenience store that sets off the X band on my detector. Nearly all the modern proximity detection on modern cars and semi trucks set off my K band. Virtually all of the LEO in my area run Ka band radar. I just got back from a 6300 mile, 18 state road trip... and all of the Highway Patrol I encountered in the tour ran Ka band radar (or lidar). There was a city cop somewhere in Louisiana that had K band. My X band rarely alerts, except for the aforementioned convenience store. I don't ever remember having X band alert for LEO radar, although there is surely some department out there still using it...

Yes, a lot of modern detectors will allow you to select which bands alert, and which don't. Some even have GPS built in so that you can block detection at certain locations to avoid annoying false alarms. I use a Valentine One, and I prefer to keep all bands active. Since it will report the number of sources of radar, it makes it possible to detect an LEO radar unit on the same band in close proximity to an automatic door opener - and if I had the band blocked, I wouldn't get any alert at all. However, I realize that is a personal preference... everyone needs to figure out who uses what in their area, and use their detector accordingly.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #6

I live in the Boston area and local law enforcement is about a 50/50 mix of K and Ka band. There is almost zero laser usage by local law enforcement but the state police use it on the highways.

The local cops I know do not like laser because they have to aim it. They tell me they can write all the tickets they want by just pointing the cruiser down the road with the radar mounted to the dash set to alarm at the amount over the speed limit they desire.
dgc333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_SS View Post

they don't go off if the cop doesn't have a radar, does it?

Sent from my Samsung RH2777AT fridge
Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It does sometimes. it says a laser is on me when I'm making a pull from second gear, or downshift on the highway. EVERY TIME. I just ignore it
Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

I have a Beltronics 955 (have had it for a few years). Get a lot of false positive K-band alerts, but it does pick up cop cars on the highway and such (mostly K and Ka band, as I recall). Laser alerts are super rare.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion