Mud says goodbye - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mud says goodbye

main bit:

Just what I said. I have traded in my Mustang for a VW GTI. I will miss my friends on this forum and the people that came on my cruises.

details:

I had good luck with my Stang with only 2 small issues that were fixed under wtty. 2012 base model V6 with MT and the performance package. It was a nice day toy bought new 6 yrs ago that I put approx 2K in mods in (shifting/suspension/sound/stopping) that I bought for a bit under $22k. I got 11K (34k miles very good condition) for it and a good discount on the GTI. I sold it because I wanted a car that was more fun to drive. I could go way faster on two lane blacktop than was smart to go with my Stang but it just didn't have great feel for the driver (even after doing a complete suspension).

The GTI is a 2.0 turbo with the Sport package (brakes/suspension/slight HP boost/LSD) and while I have been breaking it in gradually you can tell it has gobs of torque down low. It starts pulling at 2k and will accelerate at 1800 rpm in high gears. I believe a good driver can hustle a Mustang around a track faster than a GTI, but on the street the GTI feels faster and it has the feel of a Hot Hatch which I like. So far the car is telling me I am getting over 30 mpg but as I mentioned it is being broken in slowly.

I wanted a C7 Vette but Mrs Mud said "YOU ARE NOT SPENDING $50K ON A CAR", drove the BRZ which was slow, the WRX which was fast but not as much fun as I wanted (it felt kinda big). I also asked my sales person Cheryl-Ann at Hammonasset Ford (props to her) to see if there was a base model 2017 GT at a price I was willing to consider but the base models are limited. She did offer to let me order a 2018 at invoice but loosing the big rebates available on the 2017's made that more than I was willing to spend.

I hope to give an update after I have had it for a while but I will be spending time on the VW forums.

Thx and respect to all my friends here

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171002_072939582_HDR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	244570  
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Well, I am sure you are going to light up the VW forums as much as you have this one. You will be missed....really?......... A VW???
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

forgot to mention...I have some parts left over! Look in classified soon for Weathertech floor mats and a nice set of OEM 19" 5 spoke rims with OK condition tires on them.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just because you no longer own one does not mean you have to leave and take your knowledge and insight with you.....Hell, I'm still a mod on 3 other forums even though I no longer own whatever vehicle it was at the time that got me on there.....but now that I think about it, it sure does take a lot of my time keeping up with all of them....Good luck!!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Ot wad fun Mud, but as is being said doesn't mean you have to leave. Shoot, maybe over time the cruises will incorporate more makes and models. Bummer to hear you're done with the Mustang, but at least you're doing what makes you happy.

On side note did you happen to test drive a Golf R? I had the opportunity not long ago. Drove it in a blizzard going from Denver ip to Ft. Collins (home of New Belgium Brewing ) just like you mentioned. Lighter, snappier feel on street and the turbo. When that thing kicked in. It really kicked. Anyway good luck to you and should you decide to get some modding done let us all know!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am glad that I had the chance to meet you. The two rides that I did with you were great fun. Hopefully someone else will grab the torch and keep it going. I am also happy to hear that you have bought what you feel is a better drive for you. You will be very happy with your choice I am sure of that. As long as you and the wife are happy is all that matters. Stay safe and good luck. Maybe someday we will run into each other again.

Jim
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
This has become a forum of friends. Something tells me you will be around.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Aw, rats!

I do hope you stick around and manage to make an appearance at an upcoming cruise. It wouln't be the same otherwise.

And those 19" wheels--are they the Perf Pack wheels? Just curious...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My buddy with the ruby s550 came from a GTI. A hot hatch is fine too. Glad you got the real LSD!

Thats for all you've done for the community, will really miss chasing the red 6er through CT backroads!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Glad to hear you got the ride you were looking for. Will miss you on the cruises as I hope they will continue. if you want to be a co-pilot please join in - you know where to find us. Good Luck with the new ride
pilatti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Farewell Strange Mud.
Enjoy your new car!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Mud, it was great to meet you and enjoyed the cruises I did make. You were a wealth of knowledge to the forum. And hey, you could still use that vw to be a pace car for a heard of mustang going through some great roads. Anyone else feel the same?
dcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #14

Mud

Mud,
You will be surely missed in the Mustang group. I have to say that I was very surprised to hear that you sold the Stang. My friends speak very highly of the VW GTI and compare it to the 2 series BMW in performance. If you feel the need to hear the roar of a V8 Coyote give me a call. The regular cruise members will miss your awesome guided tours and friendship. All the best, Zack
Zack Curello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

So here is a one week 500 mile update:

So far this is what I wanted. After I got it my friend from Hammonassett Ford called to see if I was still interested in a car. She laughed at my choice (did offer a Focus R at less than sticker!) and I realized my three fav cars were a Integra, Triumph Spitfire, and Mazda GLC. I do prefer small cars.

Plz note I am comparing it to my V6 base model with suspension mods and the 3.31 apples and oranges. similar but different!

So far I have been following break in procedures so it is being driven gently and I am starting to explore higher rpms. But, I have gone on my favorite back road loop (the Durhamburg Ring) which is 10 miles of curves and it is a hoot. The trick front LSD really does pull the car out of corners nicely. It really is more fun to drive and speeds are similar enough as to be moot as this is NOT on the track.

The GTI has lots more fancy features than the Stang, I would not have wanted them but the way it was packaged the Sport Model is not a stripper. Good stereo, keyless entry and start (real nice). The overall quality is much nicer it also has the best headlights I have ever had on a car and they swivel in corners! The trunk /hatch with seats up is much smaller than the Stang but the opening is 2x the size....no contest with seats down. There is even room for a not large person to sit behind me (and I am large) the difference in storage is remarkable considering the diff in size. You can really see how the Stang was form over function. I do miss the jealous eyes from folks when I drive by. The GTI is meh to most non-car people but most folks loved the sharp looking bright red Stang .

The motor has GOBS of torque starting at 2k. I find myself in one or two gears higher than the Mustang at the same speed. I filled it 1x and got (using math!) just over 34 MPG. I look on the forums and they all complain about the clutch and shifter....it is a long throw, somewhat floppy with a light clutch but it is way easier to shift. Remember I had the MGW with clutch line and motor mounts I miss the mechanical action but do not miss having to focus on shifting. I want them all to try a MT Mustang to learn them what fussy can be.

I do want to mention that on the 2nd day of driving it I was passed (legally) by a jacked up 4 x 4 truck. I got to see him make a direct hit on a squirrel and watch it as pieces of squirrel meat arced up into the air and landed on my new ride.....also plz check out the classified as I did post up a few things I took out of my car before the trade in (wheels, mats, etc)
Old 10-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
why does everyone who gets rid of their stang act like they have to leave the forum? lol I was on here for a year without a stang. soccerluvr was on here for like 4 years before he actually got one. was just curious
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Good question.... ^^
Old 10-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
It was great having you on the forum Mud. You'll be missed! Stop in form time to time, ya hear!

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
why does everyone who gets rid of their stang act like they have to leave the forum? lol I was on here for a year without a stang. soccerluvr was on here for like 4 years before he actually got one. was just curious
That's my question.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

and if a newbie from the New England area shows up with it they can get a hold of me. I did like the car.....

I hope it is not a real Good-bye but know I will be spending more of my time trying to get the VW folks thinking and playing nice.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
There are a few things I will never ever give up,
My Guns.
My Dogs
My Mustang.
I enjoy them all and everything else can be bought for a price,
(NOT THESE)
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
There are a few things I will never ever give up,
My Guns.
My Dogs
My Mustang.
I enjoy them all and everything else can be bought for a price,
(NOT THESE)
Ronnie
I love that your guns are listed first. I'm right there with you on that.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Used 2012 Ford Mustang For Sale |

told you it looked great
Old 10-16-2017, 01:36 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post

Lol, more like 1 year before I got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Don't anybody worry about Mud, He will be back after the novelty wears off on that thing he bought.
He more then likely will be back in a Mustang in about a year or two.
It's kind of like having a Corvette, The car is great but most of the people you have to associate with to enjoy the car are pretty much """SLUGS""" and not enjoyable to be around.
There are no better people then the Mustang or Camaro people to enjoy a car with.
Oh, Maybe my Street rod friends are a lot of fun to be around.
I once had a Corvette but I hating the Corvette club snobs, I ended up joining the Porsche Audi club to track and enjoy my car.
The Mustang owners are the best, Don't believe me, Go to any event and watch the Mustangs and Mustang people enjoying their Mustangs.
Sturgis , Myrtle Beach, The Hot Rod tour, Maple Grove Pa. Silver Springs Fl., Carlisle Pa. are just a few of the big events that are mostly Mustangs and plenty of them.
It is America and anyone can buy the car of their choice but ME, I'll just keep my Mustang.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0407-074356.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	245250   Click image for larger version

Name:	2806-094757.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	245258  

Name:	adam my car two_zpsddhzcixy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	851.7 KB
ID:	245266  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #27
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Lol, more like 1 year before I got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
was going for dramatic!! lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Vaya con Dios Mud. I'll miss your comments.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Automatic transmission mod when I can afford it LOL
Top Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Mud isn't going far. This place has become more about the people than the cars; at least for me.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
Staff

Regular
Staff

Someone else now owns my car....that is good. I hope they also enjoy it. It was in great shape and I hope to see them here or in the real world.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Nice! It’s a good thing when your car goes to a good home.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Someone else now owns my car....that is good. I hope they also enjoy it. It was in great shape and I hope to see them here or in the real world.
Did you leave a note in the glovebox reminding the new owner that red is, indeed, the fastest color?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion