Media Blasting Prices: Input - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Media Blasting Prices: Input

So, I'm looking to get moving on the body work on the 81 soon. Called a place today for a price on getting the car media blasted instead of me sanding it down by hand...since we all know all my friends will rush right over to help out

Anyhow, I was quoted $400 to blast the car. The car as it sits right now has no plastic, glass, wires, interior, moldings, lines, or anything on or in it. It is a complete bare shell. So, there is nothing for anyone to have to worry about messing up. All sheet metal.

So, does $400 sound reasonable? Or, should I think about taking that $400 and buying a bigger compressor and blasting the car myself? Or, should I stop being a ***** and get some chemical stripper and some spot blasting tools and just do it myself.

Anyone have a good recommendation on a good chemical stripper? And no Jarrod, I don't mean the strippers that are on chemicals that y'all hang out with on weekends...although I do wish they would come over and peal.
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Re: Media Blasting Prices: Input

who is the person you priced, shoulda checked with me first, dont blast ANYTHING yourself, its not the same media and not using the right beads will promote rusting and warp all of the panels, aircraft remover is the best stripper out there(aside from katarina) but you will spend $200 doing that with a lesser quality starting point, i might can get you a better price on the media blasting, sanding it is just a NO-NO

i got connections, hit me up later
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, I just called one place today. IT was on florida in denham springs. Like bobs or bills sandblasting or something like that.

I asked you a while back about it and you said you'd get back to me. Let me know where else to go because the phone book and net is pretty useless for finding what I am wanting right now.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

when it comes to body work if you dont know how to do it, dont learn on your own projects after its bare metal you had best put some sort of rust prevention on it until you can get it primed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Ok, then how are you to learn if you don't learn on your own projects? It's not like a shop is going to let you walk in and help out of the blue. I don't know how to work on cars either, but I sure as hell do a lot of it.

There is nothing better than your own stuff to learn on. If you mess it up, it's yours. And I don't know why you think I need a rust preventer on there, it's not like there is any moisture around here at all. It will be perfectly fine bare metal in this dry air.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Road Trip!

allens body shop does media blasting, sand blasting and media blasting are two totally different things, call me before you bring it anywhere please...i know somebody else i just gotta try to locatw his number
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I know there is a difference...hence the reason I titled it media blasting It's going to be a few weeks tho, I'm just trying to get prices so I can plan for it in the budget. I want to get the 460 at the same time so I can start seeing what kind of fitment issues I'm going to have before I have the car ready for paint.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

400 seems fair for blasting but what kind of media is it?. The cars we have had done have been around the 800 mark ( that was soda blasting the empty shell,doors,fenders,hood ) I have a number for the guy we use if you want to talk to him about it. He can soda blast it and treat the metal and prime it all at the same time. Be prepared to spend more than 400 though.
Benjytps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah, if you could get me that number that would be great.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well I guess if the project is to learn body work then thats fine, just dont go into it having no experience expecting good results~ if you can live with that then go forth and learn.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Huh, you can't learn and have something look good? That is some silliness right there.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Road Trip!

rob has me to call for advice and assistance, i have a little experience
Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

not knowing what you are getting into until you are half way through is also rather silly to me as well. If you have never done any body work and your first attempt is on your own car, thats fine, but if you expect to have great results with no help from someone experienced then you have your expectations way to high. If you have someone there that knows what they are doing to help then thats fine, but there are far more things to know than more ever consider when doing body work~ just be prepared is all im saying.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Road Trip!

ive already looked at the car and imma guide him through it, if he is patient it will be flawless when its done

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion