Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I could use some advice please

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  I_luv_HP&trq 
#1 ·
I'm getting a 2002 mustang gt in two days i was told to first get a CAI and an X pipe i'd like to get a tuner to but i can't decide between the three sct's and the diablosport i saw on americanmuscle.com

#2 ·
Re: I could you some advice please

CAI isn't much of a performance booster and the X pipe will mostly just change the sound. I'm not saying don't get them, but don't expect them to throw you back in your seat. SCT and diablo have great tuning parameters. Check out what your local performance shops prefer and that might help you decide.

#3 ·

I agree with what was stated above....and would also like to restate to find out what your local tuner uses...if you are going with a local tuner.

You really can't go wrong with the SCT, diablo, or the sniper from what I'm reading. If you do not plan on using a local tuner and are planning on using a "Canned tune" like you would get from american muscle, I would suggest buying your tuner elsewhere that includes tunes with their tuners. Places I am talking about are VMP Tuning, RWTD (running with the devil), amazon racing, and there are some others out there.

If you like the price of the tuner from american muscle, you could get it there, but do not get the canned tunes. Contact James @ RWTD as he currently has a remote tuning special of $75 which includes 6 months of support. Amazon has I believe $125 remote tuning with lifetime support if I remember right.

Anyhow, if you have no local tuner, I suggest the XCal 2 or 3. Do not get the live wire...I've found that it is kind of over rated.

#21 ·

then what upgrade would you suggest first? (not supercharger or nitrous)
I would get some gears first! Then take care of your basic bolt on's. From what I've read our cars adapt very well to simple bolt on's.

Your kinda in my shoe's at the moment. I decided on just the bolt on's first.

Pullies, o/r x, CAI, throttle body+ plenum etc....

I would go with the Diablosport. I hear they work just fine.

#5 ·

well ill post it up cause some one will say it...
gears are "the best bang for the buck", they let you stay in the powerband better, the car will be a little quicker at a little loss of top end which you probably will never hit anyway...

I've heard 3.73's for manuals and 4.10's for autos, i'm guessing the same applys to your mustang as well.

#8 · (Edited)
I dislike pulleys a lot because they seem to cause more problems then they're worth from my experience and from others that I've heard from.

How many miles are on your 02? If there's a lot, maybe focus on a bit of maintenance stuff first before adding the fun mods. I know it sucks but it will help it run at it's peak.

If this was my car and it was a daily driver I would do a routine tune up, suspension, gears(dependant on roads I drive on) exhaust, tune, and some nice tires(wheels too if budget allowed). If I had a buddy selling a CAI cheap then I'd buy it.

After that it gets more involved with the heads and all which will be pricey if all the labor is done for you.

My advice is to look for kits where you can get a lot of what you want from the same reputable company and try to strike some deals. I haven't looked at stuff for the GT's in a while but I imagine there's kits for a tuner, gears,cai or exhaust.

Just remember cars are a money pit and make sure that you really want to dump your cash into it.

For now I would stay away from pullyes, throttle bodies, spacers, and any other "magical" performance part that sounds too good to be true.

#9 ·
basic bolt ons are nearly worthless, if you do them all and a tune your looking at 30hp~ at the wheels... it helps just want to let yo know

#12 ·
my plan is to have it as a daily driver but i would like to take it to this 1/8 mile track in benton i'm gettin a hurst shifter for sure and i thought about saving up for 3 to 4 months and gettin a turbo supercharger or blower whatever i can get for around 2,000 to 2,500 does it sound possible oh and my main goal is to be able to beat a 05 or newer stock gt

#14 ·
Well I would say to go with gears and a tune but depending on your choice of forced induction, you'll want to choose the gear wisely. $2500 for a used kit doesn't sound too outrageous. You'll still want to get it tuned though so maybe hold off on the tuner?? I would just start looking at what you're really prepared to spend and when you want what mod.

Keep an eye out for used sc kits while you're saving

#13 ·
i just installed my sct and 3.73 motive gear and it felt like adding 50 horses! i highly recommend this to you. you want power without spending 4 grand, then this is it!

#15 ·
Bump to the gears and tuner, i tuned a 97 cobra and it woke it up big time if i had gears it would be that much beter. With a daily driver i would not go over 3:73, you have to give up something to get something

#17 ·
thanks for all your inputs guys i appreciate it i just talked to my mechanic today i used to work for him and he's like a second dad to me i don't know if he knows what these tuners are capable of or if he's just tryin to get me to not do this but he said i can't access them computer with it and that i have to go to the ford dealership (closest tuning place i think) for those of you that have a 3.73 gear what rpm do u run at 75mph did the sct or diablo tuners work and how much did it cost to get it tuned by a dealership if that is the route you took

#18 ·
Diablo OR SCTtuners can be used to change rear gear ratio through the PCM (my diablosport for my 02 GT was CAKE, it was 3 steps after connecting to the car with the tuner), more easily than ford (at least the old WDS system, IDS is much better but not too familiar with it - and the WDS only adjusted gear ratio MINIMALLY, like within .05 of actual gear ratio.. only to adjust the STOCK gear ratio for minor discrepancies, not say.. from 3.23s to 3.73s.. )

#20 ·
everyone tells you what to do to mod the car but only mod if you can live with the consequences of those mods breaking it, if you are ready for the chances of that happening then go for it, its just part of modding, as you mod the chances of something breaking go up a good bit.

#25 ·
if you go cheap you get cheap when it comes to car mods, there are only a few exceptions from time to time on this rule when someone is really selling something much lower than it should be~ so be careful what you buy and research fully.

#27 ·
Take a look at some kits and see what they offer, then you'll get an idea of what all you'll need. It also depends on the amount of boost you want to run. I can't remember what size injectors come with 02 GT's but I'm thinking you'll want at least 36 lbs to start off with and they should be good for at least 375-400 rwhp. Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

Some kits run small boost and don't require an intercooler but I'd always run with one because it's hot where I am in the summer time and you'll be able to increase timing if the charge is a bit cooler.

So for example if you're looking at getting a used procharger or paxton, you'll at least need the piping, brackets for the sc unit, all the elbow couplers and clamps, boost gauge with vacuum lines, possibly bigger injectors (again depeding on what power level you're wanting) by-pass valve or I guess you could run a bov if it dumps before the MAF. You might need a 90mm maf too. I'm not 100% sure but at least this is an idea. Unless you have some major connections and get good deals then you could probably build it all for under $3,000. Then you'll need a tune to tie it all together.

Some head units cost $2,000 on their own.
Used kits make their way around the internet all the time. I'd be cautious.
One thing to NOT skimp on is the tune!!!! So many people that blow engines blame it on the sc or their stock pistons or whatever. If I was on a tight budget and had to get used parts that would be cool with me as long as I spent some good time on a dyno with tuners that now their stuff.
And be patient. It's better to wait around and research then to blow money on crap and then have to buy expensive stuff later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.