Nasty thermostat problems.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Question Nasty thermostat problems..

So i broke the bolts while doing a simple thermostat replacement.. and now it turned into havoc. I pulled the throttle body off, alternator bracket, intake manifold (which was cracked come to find), and injectors. the bolts are out now.. but i cant find replacements and the dealer would have to order them (2 days at most) to make things more difficult.. the car has to be back together by Monday cause i've got to drive to work.. I know the bolt is roughly 4 inches and is metric to my surprise.

Any suggestions?
96GTMustangMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Re: Nasty thermostat problems..

If you have enough of the bolt left, I'd say take it to an auto parts store and they can match the thread and length. Put a washer on it and use that until you can get the real bolts. I'd only put the "real" bolts back in, because the silver blots with washers would look funny to me and I'm kinda anal.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

actually, i may have good news for you. i have extra stuff laying around and i have those 2 bolts now. if u need them let me know. i also have a factory npi intake also.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #4

Region: Texas

Well turns out, a friend of mine had a good idea to put studs instead of replacement bolts, thus eliminating the breaking problem all the way around. I wanted to put the "real" bolts back in too. I didnt want to settle for just some matched bolts from autozone.

And as for the manifold problem, i called this local shop, apparently this guy is the mustang guru around San Antonio, and talked him into giving me a throw away manifold for cheap on a car he was upgrading. The only thing that bothered me about replacing my plastic manifold was with another used plastic manifold. Cause they say, "you get what you pay for." I'm just glad to be sitting in the saddle again.
96GTMustangMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

gotcha, nice to see the car up and running again.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have an aluminum intake for you if you are interested
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT