gear install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
gear install

i am ordering my gear kit next week hopefully i read the instalation instructions on american muscle but the part where u actually open up the speedcal wasn't very clear what exactly are you supposed to do
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: gear install

I donno, but do you have the special tools required to setup a ring&pinion?

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

my mechaic is putting in the gears but if he charges extra for the speedcal i'll do it myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

1. Remove the negative battery cable.

2. Set bank 2 switch settings as follows 1000000

3. Remove the shift knob, outer shift boot, and inner shift boot. It will be easier to remove the cigarette lighter/auxillery jack/traction control. The
outer boot can be snapped off with eas. The inner boot requires an 8mm socket.

4. Route the Speedcal harness down the drivers side of the transmission, and re-install inner boot. Place the Speedcal to either the front or rear
of the inner boot. I placed it to the front under the cd player.

5. Using a scrotch lock, connect the red power wire of the Speedcal to a 12 volt power supply, like the cigarette lighter hot wire. Usually this is a
blue/white wire.

6. Under the vehicle , locate and remove the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) located on the driver's side of the transmission.

*** not the Output Shaft Sensor (OSS) which is located at the rear***

7. Pull out the VSS and with a small flat head screw driver remove the red thin contact lock from the connector shell. Then carefully slide the
screwdriver down each side of the contacts and pop the retainers and remove both contacts from the connector shell.

8. Take the connector shell and lay in down where the flat part is down. Then install the green wire from the speedcal in the left contact hole, and
the blue wire in the right contact hole until you hear a faint click. Then re-install the red contact lock.

** If the contacts are locked in properly, you will not be able to pull the wires out unless you release the contact retainer**

9. Reconnect the VSS back on the transmission.

10. Now the two old VSS wire you need to determine which wire is the ground wire. On a 94-98 Mustang it is a pink/orange wire, and on a 99+ it is a
gray/red wire.

11. Find the supplied connector shell from the Speedcal package, and wire in the ground wire from the old VSS, making sure it will match up with
the gray wire from the main harness on the Speedcal. Then install the final old VSS wire in the only other connector hole in the connector shell
and snap that into the Speedcals main harness connector making sure the old power wire matches up with the gray wire on the speedcal. You can
hold up the excess wiring by using EZ ties.

** these are held in the same way as the VSS connectors are**

12. Reconnect the battery and set the bank 1 switches for the proper ratio. You can access this formula and others here

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its quite easy to get it going, the only issue I ever had with my speed cal was the power wire where the splice was going to the speed cal worked its way loose and when... the power to the speedcal goes out guess what your speedo, odometer dont work and you cant rev over 4k and the rpms drop like a rock when you let off the gas. So make sure you really splice it good and use electrical tape to wrap around it.

You basically plug it inline, very easy to do. The switches are for calibration and are pretty easy as well.\

think of the speedcal box like this: currently you get a "tick" every X seconds that tells your speedo how faster your going based on how many "ticks" you get. This box just slows down the ticks or speeds them up to alter the signal going to the speedo. Thats what those switches in it do.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damnh I got a Thanks From the imfamous HotCobra

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

their are two TTs in my name get it right

Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

plus that was a really good, informed post

Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
SIR !!! YES SIR

Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
plus that was a really good, informed post
Thanks where is the damn Thank button ??????

Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I got a professional doing this for me I am putting in 3.73 gears in my GT on my 2002. stock, everyone in this town takes second look at my car just for the sound and for its' looks. I amdoing the best I can to put my pictures in this website but, will try harder to get it done. if you want to look see what I have done go to myspace lookup yellow_blackbelt@yahoo.com you will find me in there.
tjzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and how big are those turbos? becuase I dont see ****
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i know how to hook it up to everything i only need to know one step it says to put some number in or sumtin buy how do you do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
1. Remove the negative battery cable.

2. Set bank 2 switch settings as follows 1000000

3. Remove the shift knob, outer shift boot, and inner shift boot. It will be easier to remove the cigarette lighter/auxillery jack/traction control. The
outer boot can be snapped off with eas. The inner boot requires an 8mm socket.

4. Route the Speedcal harness down the drivers side of the transmission, and re-install inner boot. Place the Speedcal to either the front or rear
of the inner boot. I placed it to the front under the cd player.

5. Using a scrotch lock, connect the red power wire of the Speedcal to a 12 volt power supply, like the cigarette lighter hot wire. Usually this is a
blue/white wire.

6. Under the vehicle , locate and remove the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) located on the driver's side of the transmission.

*** not the Output Shaft Sensor (OSS) which is located at the rear***

7. Pull out the VSS and with a small flat head screw driver remove the red thin contact lock from the connector shell. Then carefully slide the
screwdriver down each side of the contacts and pop the retainers and remove both contacts from the connector shell.

8. Take the connector shell and lay in down where the flat part is down. Then install the green wire from the speedcal in the left contact hole, and
the blue wire in the right contact hole until you hear a faint click. Then re-install the red contact lock.

** If the contacts are locked in properly, you will not be able to pull the wires out unless you release the contact retainer**

9. Reconnect the VSS back on the transmission.

10. Now the two old VSS wire you need to determine which wire is the ground wire. On a 94-98 Mustang it is a pink/orange wire, and on a 99+ it is a
gray/red wire.

11. Find the supplied connector shell from the Speedcal package, and wire in the ground wire from the old VSS, making sure it will match up with
the gray wire from the main harness on the Speedcal. Then install the final old VSS wire in the only other connector hole in the connector shell
and snap that into the Speedcals main harness connector making sure the old power wire matches up with the gray wire on the speedcal. You can
hold up the excess wiring by using EZ ties.

** these are held in the same way as the VSS connectors are**

12. Reconnect the battery and set the bank 1 switches for the proper ratio. You can access this formula and others here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Chip | next mod »