Need Help!! Center Console and Parking brake issue... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #1

Frogleg is unknown around these parts
Need Help!! Center Console and Parking brake issue...

Ok this is the deal. My parking brake was acting funny over the last week or so. It had no tension to it. You had to pull it all the way up for it to engage the rear brakes. So I figured I'd remove the center console and see if there was something that needed to be tightened. I removed the center console no problem and didnt have to remove the stereo at all. The console came out fine because I had the pull the park brake up the highest point to pull the console over the parking brake. This part was easy since there was no tension really.

Once the console was removed I was playing with the parking brake mechanism to see if anything was loose and i heard a click from the parking brake. Once that click happened the parking brake got MUCH harder to pull up. It now engaged the rear brakes at the first click (which i believe is normal but its just been so long since its been that tight)

Well now when I try to put the console in I cant pull the parking brake up very far. Now I can only pull it about halfway of where it was.

So my question is; does anyone know how to fix this problem? Is there a way to loosen the parking brake cable temporarily and then re tighten once I have the console installed?

Thanks in advance! Currently my car has no center console in it

BTW the car is a 2000 GT

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

OsirisGuy is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Need Help!! Center Console and Parking brake issue...

I think you will have to take out the radio, perhaps a seat too and (here's my jewish word for the day) fanagle(sp?) it in. You will probably have to rotate it around the parking brake, i.e. get the center console on top, move it around until you can get it near the opening and through and just keep moving it back and forth or whatever you'll have to do until it clears everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #3

Frogleg is unknown around these parts

Ok I figured it out. There is a release lever on the parking brake that will allow you to pull the parking brake to the most upright position. Once you pull on that lever you are all set! Hopefully this helps someone else in the future
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it should go back on, you can take out a seat for more room if you need to, only 4 bolts. How high does it pull up, it should pull up to a 45 degree angle at least
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

tjzola is unknown around these parts

Have you guys taken out the center console before? Well, I have tried and I was about to rip it out instead of gently take it out nicely by force. Its' the Italian way; if it doesn't come out gently rip its' heart out and give it a new one. I know it is mean as hell but, we get angry and control is what we need I know fellows I have learned this. Anyway let me know how this ideal project turns out.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

SaleenFiend is unknown around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjzola View Post
Have you guys taken out the center console before? Well, I have tried and I was about to rip it out instead of gently take it out nicely by force. Its' the Italian way; if it doesn't come out gently rip its' heart out and give it a new one. I know it is mean as hell but, we get angry and control is what we need I know fellows I have learned this. Anyway let me know how this ideal project turns out.
If all you need is to pull the Ebrake up some more then pull the ebrake cable loose from the rear calipers (very simple)

SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT