I am putting 3.73 Richmond gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I am putting 3.73 Richmond gears

anyone had put that type in their mustang at all and found noise? And I mean more than the radio over the radio. Just need to know before I bring mine to a mechanic and get it done this weekend. or is it going to be
tjzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: I am putting 3.73 Richmond gears

I put a set of Richmond gears and an Eaton posi-trac in a 70 Z28 Camaro ans race cars and had no problems. Also I raced dirt oval with as spool and Richmond gears with them no problem. I wished I had broke them, but broke excel instead. The track finaly got smart and let us run 9” Ford rears. I had already built the last dirt rear end before they change the rules to be able to use a 9” Ford. Just rebuild everything, clean with varsol (paint thinner, inside and out) then change bearings, seals, everything (the rebuild kit is worth it). The main issue in rebuilding it is getting the pinion slack right, not too much and not a little of slack both will cause a winding noise. Some people on here may not have had the pleasure shimming starters through this, but back in the day you had to shim starters on your motors. You had to bolt it up, put silly putty the ring gear of the flex plate, in-gauge the bendix w/ a screw driver, rotate the motor from the crank and check it, then do it again till you shimmed it to the right slack for proper clearance. With the pinion install DO NO tighten the nut all the way with out checking in the slack, just have your car in natural, on jacks stands and rotate your driveshaft back in forth to check it using the method above or I can listen to it from experience. It’s a good idea to have a few crush sleeves on hand, only one comes in the rebuild kit. I have not done a rear-end on a Mustang, but when I do I will probably go with Ford Racing or Motive gears.if money is not an issue here is a link of my tuner, and these gears are suppose the be the latest trick of the week. I just took my medication and am rambling, I hope this helps, good luck if you have any question please ask.

http://www.stanghi.com/index.php?mai...x&cPath=27_164
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

someone told me they whine and to get ford racing but i have no experience with em
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I had Richmond 3.73s in the back of my '88 Camaro (7.5" 10-bolt), they whined pretty good, but it was the first rear-end my pops and I ever set up. We had some questions about the pinion depth, so it might not have entirely been the fault of the gears. I put around 20k miles on them without failure, though.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I have used Richmond gears in just about everything I have run or raced; setting the pinion play is where the noise usually comes from. FRPP or Motive will whine also if the insulation is not done right. If you feel better use the FRPP gears, they are probably more readily available through site sponsors, Richmond you will have to go to Jegs or Summit. It’s making sure the new races are seated right in the housing with the bearings and the pinion slack is set right. That is just about everything there is to a rear end. You have to use a friction modifier (Traction-Lok, Ford part #F3TZ-19B546-MA) with LSD rear ends. You will need about 4 pints with the 5oz bottle of modifier I just sealed up mine and use the Ford modifier (5oz) from the dealership, about $4.00. If I had the time I would have ordered the Redline oil. Use the Mobil 1 synthetic W80W90; do not use any W85 140. One problem when sealing it back up, there is no gasket, use the Permatex Ultra Copper, it’s the best and it is even Chevy orange. One more thing put your jack stands under the front of the rear control arm pivots not the axel tube so the chunk will hang down low enough to install the diff cover. You won’t get the cover in with the stand under the axel tubes. Also a cheap pump makes it easer it fill the diff. Good luck you can do it, if you need any help let me know.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT