swap information - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to red herring
swap information

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, anyway, looking to do a 5.4 litre Navigator swap into a 98 GT mustang 5 speed. From what I can understand this is the same motor used in the cobra R but with different intake/exhaust manifolds and cams. Anybody on here done the swap before? I did a search but not much came up. Please supply any and all information you can find as well as links and pictures if you know of any that exist. If you can think of any problems or know someone who has done the swap please inform me as well. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Oh, I need the computer with the engine right? Does anybody that has done the swap have a preference on gears or any other advice? thanks again.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to steedav6builder
im lookin into the same thing. this is where ive been gettin my info from.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10896

The Navi motor is also a cast iron block whereas the cobra r was alluminum i believe so the Navi is a heavy *** motor. The Cobra R also had different heads. The only reason i might not do this is because of the weight. Im more into handling than drag racing. I went to a Ford dealer and i can buy a navi motor for 3500 brand new.
'99 Electric Green Cobra, #2517 of 4040 Built on 5/12/99
'00 Lazer Red V6-Gone but not forgotten

Central Jersey Mustangs and Fords Member #4121
Mid -Atlantic Cobra Association Member #207
steedav6builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedav6builder
im lookin into the same thing. this is where ive been gettin my info from.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10896

The Navi motor is also a cast iron block whereas the cobra r was alluminum i believe so the Navi is a heavy *** motor. The Cobra R also had different heads. The only reason i might not do this is because of the weight. Im more into handling than drag racing. I went to a Ford dealer and i can buy a navi motor for 3500 brand new.
Just out of curiosity, if you worry more about handling why did you get a mustang instead of a European car such as bmw or a Japanese car that doesn't weigh anything? thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to steedav6builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
Just out of curiosity, if you worry more about handling why did you get a mustang instead of a European car such as bmw or a Japanese car that doesn't weigh anything? thanks for the info!
Because i dont like those cars. I like american cars. I also like Steeda who is known for they're suspension parts for road course racing such as SCCA. When my suspension is done i will out handle all those import POS's
'99 Electric Green Cobra, #2517 of 4040 Built on 5/12/99
'00 Lazer Red V6-Gone but not forgotten

Central Jersey Mustangs and Fords Member #4121
Mid -Atlantic Cobra Association Member #207
steedav6builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to ttpancakes
Haha POS. Red Herring drives and import, so i wouldnt be saying to much.
ttpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:07 PM   #6

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
2:
Old 12-24-2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
Hopefully this is the right place to post this, anyway, looking to do a 5.4 litre Navigator swap into a 98 GT mustang 5 speed. From what I can understand this is the same motor used in the cobra R but with different intake/exhaust manifolds and cams. Anybody on here done the swap before? I did a search but not much came up. Please supply any and all information you can find as well as links and pictures if you know of any that exist. If you can think of any problems or know someone who has done the swap please inform me as well. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Oh, I need the computer with the engine right? Does anybody that has done the swap have a preference on gears or any other advice? thanks again.
In the November issue of 5.0 Mustang they did the swap. They used an '00 E-150 5.4. The big thing they made was an adapter plate to reuse the 4.6L intake. There was some other differences, reusing the oil filter mount off the 4.6 and the oil pan off the 4.6 had to have the baffles bent down a 1/4 of an inch. The 4.6 flywheel bolted on, they were using an eight-bolt Windsor and not a six-bolt Romeo.

The extra 1.6-inch wil make installtion with the A/C lines and brake lines a bit more difficult. So, you'll have to tilt the engine until you get it right. Your H-Pipe will have to be adjusted to be wider also. There will be a lump on the passenger side header that will be needed to be ground off. A custom heater hose will need to be found. The passenger side half of the H-Pipe will need to be lenghtened one inch. The engine will sit 2 1/2 inches higher so the hood might need to be hacked on for the best fitment.

After the tuning was all said and done, the test car was already outfited with a K&N air filter and Flowmaster Three-Chamber mufflers welded into place. Through the 4R70W, the tuned engine produced 329.7 Ft./Lbs. @ 2,500RPM and 226.0 HP @ 4,500RPM. That was a gain of 93.2 Ft./Lbs of torque and 44.3H at the rear tires.

They said the Stang pulled hard all the way up to 5,600 RPMS but they couldn't get past the long runners on the 4.6L intake. A simple cam swap or intakke swap would take care of that.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
In the November issue of 5.0 Mustang they did the swap. They used an '00 E-150 5.4. The big thing they made was an adapter plate to reuse the 4.6L intake. There was some other differences, reusing the oil filter mount off the 4.6 and the oil pan off the 4.6 had to have the baffles bent down a 1/4 of an inch. The 4.6 flywheel bolted on, they were using an eight-bolt Windsor and not a six-bolt Romeo.

The extra 1.6-inch wil make installtion with the A/C lines and brake lines a bit more difficult. So, you'll have to tilt the engine until you get it right. Your H-Pipe will have to be adjusted to be wider also. There will be a lump on the passenger side header that will be needed to be ground off. A custom heater hose will need to be found. The passenger side half of the H-Pipe will need to be lenghtened one inch. The engine will sit 2 1/2 inches higher so the hood might need to be hacked on for the best fitment.

After the tuning was all said and done, the test car was already outfited with a K&N air filter and Flowmaster Three-Chamber mufflers welded into place. Through the 4R70W, the tuned engine produced 329.7 Ft./Lbs. @ 2,500RPM and 226.0 HP @ 4,500RPM. That was a gain of 93.2 Ft./Lbs of torque and 44.3H at the rear tires.

They said the Stang pulled hard all the way up to 5,600 RPMS but they couldn't get past the long runners on the 4.6L intake. A simple cam swap or intakke swap would take care of that.

Thanks for the information, that is exactly what I am/was looking for. Perhaps I can post results when it's all done. Wanna know the best part...the engine is free from someone who teaches ford mechanics . I'll search for the Nov. issue of 5.0 stang if I don't already have it. Really thanks a lot, that is some very perecise information!

Steedav6builder and ttpancakes, people are allowed to have their own opinion, I'd hardly call my bmw a pos against a v6 mustang but somebody is going to think so eventually. But seriously, try driving an m3 around, I doubt you'll be calling it a pos, haha. Any car has potential, japanese cars are light so they have advantages, I don't personally like them but I don't call them pos's either. I beat a mach 1 down highway 173 (corners) in my bmw and he would have been way faster than I in the straights at that time. American cars have potential too, I just always saw them as more of drag racers than auto-xers, even though, like I said, every car has potential.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
And to set the record straight here... BMW's are manufactored mainly out of Germany, not Japan.

And yes I would take a M3 aswell!
Old 12-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I love the M series
Old 12-25-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPony
And to set the record straight here... BMW's are manufactored mainly out of Germany, not Japan.

And yes I would take a M3 aswell!
Yeah, they're german, but I just added the Japanese cars in there for more diversity, I used to drive a Supra as well and it wasn't too bad. (not the tt)
Old 12-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
someone on mustangworld is selling a complete motor and what not needed to swap into a stang, its in the for sale forums.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
My Mustang is an IMPORT and I love it
Old 12-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #14
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
My Mustang is an IMPORT and I love it
lol. what would they call an American "ricer" overseas?

We make a lot of wheat... maybe we're wheaters.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
someone on mustangworld is selling a complete motor and what not needed to swap into a stang, its in the for sale forums.
Thanks spectorV, I'll look into it
Old 12-29-2004, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
lol. what would they call an American "ricer" overseas?

We make a lot of wheat... maybe we're wheaters.
That question comes up on bimmerforums all the time, they've come to the conclusion we're (German cars) called krout(sp?) I think American cars are just called muscle everywhere but if not I believe over seas they think most Americans fit the "red neck" stereotype...we'll have to think of something where we can use that, haha. By the way, I just won a 2004 Mustang with 6170.2 miles on the odometer, aren't you guys proud of me? I won it from ttpancakes in a bet, I think you guys may need to console him later :whistle:
Old 12-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
They are called "no handling cars, only manage to go fast in a straight line"
Old 12-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
...conclusion we're (German cars) called krout(sp?)...
Kraut
Old 12-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
They are called "no handling cars, only manage to go fast in a straight line"
Didn't want to say it on this board but I think that is how most car enthusiasts of other brands refer to American cars too. Even in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDonkey
Kraut
Haha, your name is awesome! And you possibly are the only one arrogant enough to quote yourself, but that is hilarious! Hahahaha!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:11 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-
95 cobra r's had 351's in them which is 5.8l the 5.4 is like 330 something or 340something. just thought id share that with you if you were going for a correct clone.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-
95 cobra r's had 351's in them which is 5.8l the 5.4 is like 330 something or 340something. just thought id share that with you if you were going for a correct clone.
So where is the 5.4 from? A regular cobra?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry posted on ttpancakes name again, this is red herring asking that question, what is the 5.4 from?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpancakes
So where is the 5.4 from? A regular cobra?
navigators and some trucks
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
navigators and some trucks
Ahh, I see, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can post some stuff up when it's all done and see what you guys think. I just found out how to make videos today, still can't host em though.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahh, I see, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can post some stuff up when it's all done and see what you guys think. I just found out how to make videos today, still can't host em though.
if you want to host vids just contact the almighty brent
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
if you want to host vids just contact the almighty brent
Thanks, brent is cool as hell and he helped me out a lot!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Back to the handling part. My friends work at maximum motorsports. The have there coupes fully done from there. Their cars will out handle some stock ferrari's. They took me for a spin when it was raining & the thing couldn't even break loose. handled on rails.
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Js281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js281GT
Their cars will out handle some stock ferrari's.
Hahaha, I just think it's funny when people use expressions like that. Cause you can say your car outhandles a porsche as long as it outhandles the cayenne, haha. You must be able to get good deals from your friends though
Old 02-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, & they install it for me. Go to their webite. maximummotorsports.com You can see the race at willow springs lap by lap. Seriously check it out & tell me what you think.
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Red if your dead serious on doing the swap I can PM you the addy of a buddy of mine who has done the swap already. I know he can help u out alot. He also went the route of having someone custom fab him a new intake and so forth. let me know.

Also 5.4s are found in the E line and Navi's

I wonder how a 5.4 would look in my car hmmm

Also MM is the **** Js you get a discount? if so hook a guy up I need some things LMK
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Red if your dead serious on doing the swap I can PM you the addy of a buddy of mine who has done the swap already. I know he can help u out alot. He also went the route of having someone custom fab him a new intake and so forth. let me know.

Also 5.4s are found in the E line and Navi's

Also MM is the **** Js you get a discount? if so hook a guy up I need some things LMK
I believe all the pieces are here, just need time! Perhaps my dad will sell his car though. He talks about getting a Cobra or a c5 corovette. I know if he has time he'll put it in though. If it's not too much trouble, can you ask for a pic of the engine bay or just finished product pics? Also, if they guy installed it himself, just ask him if there is anything he knows we'll run into and need to know how to get past. Every time I do something big there is a problem that if I would have known how to get past, it would have saved me three hours.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
My room mate's uncle did this swap into his 01 GT, and supercharged it. He's since sold the car...but damn it was nice.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I would throw that motor in a factory five cobra kit with the blower. Those car weigh in a round 2500 or so. I would have a 9 sec kit car. 5.4 stroked to a 6.0.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry posted on ttpancakes name again, this is red herring asking that question, what is the 5.4 from?
IF you do that one more time. You sick son of a.........
Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
www.modularfox.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT