sputtering at low rpms - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

sputtering at low rpms

ok 1998 gt and it worked 100% fine till i replaced the thermostat o-ring and now the cars sputtering and sputs at lower rpms mostly and still but as sever at higher rpms and take good twice the time to rev up.....all guages read fine no engine light nothing. any help?

Edit: the car worked fine no more than 12 hrs ago
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: sputtering at low rpms

also were the thermostat is located when i replaced the o-ring it still shoots coolent out from the spot were the two peices bolt down. why is it still leaking? what can i do to stop this?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Well, after reading your post, I'm really not sure what could be the problem. With no hard faults (Check Eng Light) you are left in the dark to perform a pretty wide diagnosis. For some reason I don't believe this related to the Thermostat unless the vehicle over heated? Why did you replace the thermostat? Was it running hot? Do you have any mods on this vehicle. Fill us in with any more information on the vehicle we don't have.

But start with the usual checks. Change your fuel filter. Check your spark plugs. Make sure all electrical connectors are snapped in and free from coolant/oil. Is your air box hooked up correctly?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

my car was idling funny... as if it had cams. A quick plug change fixed that. As far as your coolant leak... something isn't sealing correctly obviously. Get a new o-ring and try again. Make sure it stays clean. If you have some sort of material on the mating surface... clean it off. I don't think you want to try gasket maker stuff... but you may give it a shot (not on the o-ring of course).

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ok more info as requested......1998 gt with 91,375 miles, has cold air intake, flowmaster cat backs, short shifter, hell of a sound system( a true 4000 watts) but i've had it for months with no problems and it does it with the system unhooked from all power leads(battery and fuse), i have hade a problem with a cracked intake and i fixed that problem thanks to jbweld but the continuis problem of the leak by the thermostat continues(more info below), also my engine oil read basickly nothing but there was never a warning light and i do check the hole car over very good weekly n this isthe first time it's ever done this to and there was no sighns of oil buring or leaking or nothing of that sort and oil was changed less than month and half ago, other than that it's your stock gt that your average gear head teenager drives daily and never hade one problem with perfomance wise.

as for the thermostat...........i did not replace it it was leaking or should i say shooting water(didn't have the money to waste coolent by the gallion to fix problem witch never got fixed yet) and i replaced the o-ring and it doesn't shoot out unless the engine revs to over 3,500 rpms and when i mean shoot it shoots like it on steroids......the only spot it shoots outs in the back side under the hose.......im thinking should i totaly tear it apart and clean it untill it looks brand new and if the problem continues go from there?

sorry for the long a$$ paragraphs but I don't have the money to have the big guys looks at it so im on my own. thanks eddie
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

try simple things like cleaning the maf and changing the plugs and making sure you dont have any misses
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

found out why it leaking the manifold is cracked yet again and so the o-ring basickly is useless
Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
found out why it leaking the manifold is cracked yet again and so the o-ring basickly is useless
I was about to say that the manifold could probably be the issue again. I would have this fixed ASAP. Also I would look into performing a leakdown and compression test on all cylinders to verify the vehicle does not have a head gasket leak. Also, pull all the spark plugs out and check for any kind of fluid/residue on them.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ok well i just ordered the new manifold.......as of the studdering problem i might be able to get a video with sound of the problem by tonight but it ust sounds like its only realy noticable when its under 2500 rpms it just like hesitates like its bogging down.......if you guys know 2-strokes it sounds like a 2-stroke thats running rich that bogs then suddenly revs up
Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ok more info......when the car is in gear and i take it down the road it feels like only half the motor is working......now i mean im in 1st gear and it raining i'll floor it and it'll take a good 6 seconds to even get past 4000 rpms and you can hear it popping and back firing the hole time.....it literaly feels like half the motor if that is working.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Stop running the vehicle. I would get it to a shop ASAP in order to check out the head gaskets and even make sure coolant is not getting into the engine from the intake.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

ok well car is parked......should i wait till the intake comes in and i bolt it all on or just straight up send it out and worry bout money later
Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok well car is parked......should i wait till the intake comes in and i bolt it all on or just straight up send it out and worry bout money later
Just get it to a local reputable shop now and get a complete diagnosis from them. Then if the intake is necessary (which it probably is) use yours.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

lol i should have remembered the 96 intake manifolds bust, make sure you get the revised version
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

so i start it up and it makes no noise nothing so i figure hey mabe my luck it fixed so i take it down the road/round block and it worked fine but once the motor got to running temp the problems began almost instantly.

any idea?

oh and does any one have a website or something that shows how to take the intake off or is it just your basic unscrew n unplug it all.....i know it got rules when putting it on don't know if there are any taking it off.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

ok so i did it again and again one the car heats up it acts up when it dead cold it'll spinnem easly but once the temp meter hits the N in Normal it instantly feels like the car has 2-cyclinder cause even in first it struggles to go.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
ok so i did it again and again one the car heats up it acts up when it dead cold it'll spinnem easly but once the temp meter hits the N in Normal it instantly feels like the car has 2-cyclinder cause even in first it struggles to go.
it's a bad idea to get on it when the motor is cold

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

no i have gravel driveway so doesn't take much probly shoulda said i was gravel
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
no i have gravel driveway so doesn't take much probly shoulda said i was gravel
I mean getting your car's RPM's worked up. The motor is designed to operate at a certain temperature. By "getting on it" or getting the RPM's up by peeling out, you are causing excessive wear on the motor.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

the intake is a real straight-foward swap, its not too much involved to be really difficult. its actually easier than the 5.0 counterpart. as far as it acting up when its warm, could be a few things like coils getting hot then weaking or a fuel pump starting to go out. could be a number of things, just have to diagnose it. does it have a check engine light?

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

no light nothing....like it literaly worked at 6 A.M. and by 2 P.M. to go to pratice it ust acted up instantly and i let it sit for a day and now it only does it when it warms up
Old 04-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i know yuor all getting old of me but more questions

ok so im in the middle of taking the intake off and when removing the throttle body the lil plastic spacer with the o-ring on it, the o-ring is just not usable so could i find this spacer thing at autozone or any help?

also probly very dumb to ask but im guessing the spark plugs have to come out for the intake to be removed?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

the spacer is sold at pretty much any parts place, and u dont have to take the plugs out, just the plug wires.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

ok so i got it all taken apart n unscrewed but I nor my neighbor can figure out how to get the fuel lines off(the two going to and away from the fuel rail in the top left corner of the engine).....any help or tips....Can't afford to break anything
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok so i got it all taken apart n unscrewed but I nor my neighbor can figure out how to get the fuel lines off(the two going to and away from the fuel rail in the top left corner of the engine).....any help or tips....Can't afford to break anything
Run to auto zone and pick up a fuel line removal tool, usually pretty cheap. You have to use the tool to push into the wide part of the line b/w connections and then push the lines together till you hear a click and they should come apart.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the help but i got yet another question.....

i took the fuel rails off and inectors off and they were absolutly filthy like ust grease n gritt and what felt like sand and theres no way i can put them back in without a super cleaning.....so what can i use that is under $10 that'll cleanem up realllllll good
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the help but i got yet another question.....

i took the fuel rails off and inectors off and they were absolutly filthy like ust grease n gritt and what felt like sand and theres no way i can put them back in without a super cleaning.....so what can i use that is under $10 that'll cleanem up realllllll good
Truly if they are that dirty I would bring them to a local shop, or call around to see if someone can blow out the lines and injectors for you. If thats what you see on the outside, think what is in the inside?! Also when you get a chance I would change the fuel filter.

But if you want to use a home remedy run to Autozone and buy some SeaFoam. It works wonders, you could clean the intake system with that buy running it through the vacuum line into the intake and you could soak the injectors in the seafoam. (AutoZone will know exactly what you are looking for)
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

just to clarify. ford has been known for year to take a lot to set light. a cars ECU has to have a certain number of misfire counts for it to register and to pop on a light. for instance, say the cars calibration says it must have no more than 100 misfire per minute (i know thats a ton ) but its has only 98. theres not a big difference there and you're hard pressed to actually feel a difference. that being said, you may have a misfire whether or not the CEL is on or not. you're going to have a low amp probe if you dont have a ford scan tool (IDS) if you do have access to an IDS< its a matter of plugging it up and running a cylinder balance test. basically that test works by usign the CKP to check cranking speed in relation to engine position. ive been fooling with these things awhile, let me know how it goes and how i might be able to help you. as saleenfiend stated earlier, park it. driving the car in that shape could cause permanent engine damage if not fixed.
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I agree that sea foam works great, i put a can in mine, picked up 1mile per gallon, and not just on that tank. My car has 59,000 miles.
occhopperman27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT