Battery Drain Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Battery Drain Problems

On my 97 Cobra I have put a new battery and terminals on the car and after not starting or running the car for a couple of days the battery in dead, any suggestions. Is there something that could be sucking the battery down that fast, I had a 96 GT that did the same thing. Is there something specific with these SN95 cars? Thanks.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Battery Drain Problems

I don't remember any problems on mine. Are you blowing any fuses? What aftermarket things have you done? Anything electrical, even a radio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Bad alternator maybe?
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

u definitely have a drain somewhere, did it just start this?

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

The first thing to do will be to check all your fuses including the ones on the engine compartment.
How do you know its the battery? have you tried to turn you lights with the car off? cuz it could also be your starter
I also have that problem with my car the first problem was the aftermarket alarm cuz it was connected with the ignition system it could be that too the ignition system.
If you have an aftermarket stereo make sure you have an expert to check the wires cuz maybe one of them was connected wrong or is making a false ground. make sure you don't have loose wires..
BigDaddys Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Everything is stock, no radio or alarm system added no blown fuses. My GT would do the same thing, when I sold it I took the battery out of the Cobra and put it in the GT and rolled it. I had to buy a new battery so I put the new one in the Cobra. Now it sits in the garage and gets driven maybe once or twice a week and the battery is dead. It will jump right off. The alternator is good, after a 30 minute drive it will charge; even the volt meter will come back down after it is charged.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Have the battery tested for a bad battery cell.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

IF you don't want to pay to have it fixed get an Olympia battery a gel one... also already told take the battery to autozone they will do a free check on your batt and alternator...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have load tested the battery after charging it and the battery is fine it is something in the car that is draining the battery
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddys Stang View Post
IF you don't want to pay to have it fixed get an Olympia battery a gel one... also already told take the battery to autozone they will do a free check on your batt and alternator...
IMO Gel batteries aren't worth the money. Vipers constantly came in with problems. I would just get a battery tender if you plan on letting it sit.

Also, probably not your alternator because it is after the car sits a few days only right?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I can jump it, go run it for a good while and it will charge it up. The problem with my GT was it drained it so far that the polarity reversed and I could not bring it back. This situation with the Cobra is the same, it is being drained fast. I ran it yesterday and it is dead today.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

When this happened to Chrissy's lumina, it was a door lock issue. I pulled the fuse for her door locks and no more drain.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have the battery on charge right now and am going to have to try to chase it down. I had a bad rear defrost switch one time that was stuck on even with the key off that kept draining a battery. It is probably something stupid like that, I did not know if someone knew of a problem that was consistent with the SN95 units.
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Arrow Re: Battery Drain Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
IMO Gel batteries aren't worth the money. Vipers constantly came in with problems. I would just get a battery tender if you plan on letting it sit.

Also, probably not your alternator because it is after the car sits a few days only right?
Well on other forums most people over there had Olympia batteries and no one had probs with it. It can still drain your battery but it takes way longer...

OP: I think you may have to take it to an expert, They dont charge that much just keep looking and don't let your car with the first guy you find... and let me know what was it.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

the sn95's didnt have a discharging issue, and the alternator is definitely good because it wouldnt really run at all after it was jumped. it may be a switch that is stuck or shorted that would cause a slight drain. its basically going to be a process of elimination to seeing what is pulling the battery down. didnt u have issues with the rear defrost recently? could be on even though the light isnt lit up. one of the things u can do is get a voltmeter and check the current status of the battery while the car is off and then pull the fuse for the rear defrost and check the battery to see if the voltage moved around. if thats not it, it could be a number of things, but nothing i would think that is major. just gonna be a little pita, but a little patience and it will be found.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by modular2valve View Post
the sn95's didnt have a discharging issue, and the alternator is definitely good because it wouldnt really run at all after it was jumped. it may be a switch that is stuck or shorted that would cause a slight drain. its basically going to be a process of elimination to seeing what is pulling the battery down. didnt u have issues with the rear defrost recently? could be on even though the light isnt lit up. one of the things u can do is get a voltmeter and check the current status of the battery while the car is off and then pull the fuse for the rear defrost and check the battery to see if the voltage moved around. if thats not it, it could be a number of things, but nothing i would think that is major. just gonna be a little pita, but a little patience and it will be found.
Thats exactly what you need to do, slowly but surely follow the process of elimination of electrical components. Start with fuses, once you find a fuse that changes the drain start diagnosing all the parts the fuse controls.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Got to autozone or wherever and get yourself a 5 dollar test lite and check all your fuses to see what's draining. Put one lead on the negative battery cable and other on the neg side of the battery and if it lites, you have battery drain. Now start disconnecting all sources of power (fuses and such) drain one at a time until the test light goes out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT