engine issues... no codes... fuel pump video added - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: engine issues... no codes... fuel pump video added

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
well took the car to ford(costs arm and leg ugh) and they told me it's more than likely the timing and so did some other mechanic.......now it's still at ford they looking at it tomarrow but if say the timing is off they said it only takes a program on the computer to change it and yet another guy says you have to freaking tear the hole front of the motor off to get to the 2 chains.....what ones right for i know one is $$$$ and the other way ford said would take 30 seconds and $80
well perhaps the XCal III could help out with that. But I'm betting the fuel pump needs replaced in mine as well. And if it is just the tune, I don't wanna get it tuned and THEN add the supercharger, and THEN get it tuned again.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

i wish there was an anti-thanks button on here. all this speculation is ****ing retarded. im sorry
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

think its time for a tampon change buddy
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
i wish there was an anti-thanks button on here. all this speculation is ****ing retarded. im sorry

We do not tolerate uncoolness around here.

*cool -1 for "iamdat"*
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
We do not tolerate uncoolness around here.

*cool -1 for "iamdat"*
hahaha!, i coulda told you i wasnt cool.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
it isn't just "speculation". I have serious support for it being the fuel pump. It isn't like I had problems and immediately said AH HA! it's the fuel pump.

Car was running rough... the MAF had a bad seal that couldn't be fixed (stripped screw hole)... so I replaced it with a new one.

Car ran better, but still rough... found and replaced vac leak in the PCV hose (passenger side).

Car ran better yet, but started having issues under high load... then under regular load... then under any load. Fuel lines have little pressure. Fuel pump sounds like a small girl screaming when I give it power... car runs ok for the first couple seconds it's started after allowing the pump to run for awhile to pressurize the system... then starts having issues. Car was misfiring from multiple cylinders, supporting weak fuel pump. Now all I need to be sure is the fuel pump to come inside and say "replace me.. I'm broken, and don't want to work any more... hire a mexican to take my place... he'll do a better job for half the price".

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

and also does it matter what we say? we both have the same problem and sooner or later one or the other gonna find the lil gremblin
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
and also does it matter what we say? we both have the same problem and sooner or later one or the other gonna find the lil gremblin
no.. we both have similar SYMPTOMS. That doesn't mean we have the same problem.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

true but regardless there very close i'll let you know what the ford place says tomarrow around 4ish
Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
true but regardless there very close i'll let you know what the ford place says tomarrow around 4ish
regardless of what happens... the fuel pump will get replaced

Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
it isn't just "speculation". I have serious support for it being the fuel pump. It isn't like I had problems and immediately said AH HA! it's the fuel pump.

Car was running rough... the MAF had a bad seal that couldn't be fixed (stripped screw hole)... so I replaced it with a new one.

Car ran better, but still rough... found and replaced vac leak in the PCV hose (passenger side).

Car ran better yet, but started having issues under high load... then under regular load... then under any load. Fuel lines have little pressure. Fuel pump sounds like a small girl screaming when I give it power... car runs ok for the first couple seconds it's started after allowing the pump to run for awhile to pressurize the system... then starts having issues. Car was misfiring from multiple cylinders, supporting weak fuel pump. Now all I need to be sure is the fuel pump to come inside and say "replace me.. I'm broken, and don't want to work any more... hire a mexican to take my place... he'll do a better job for half the price".
my fuel pump sounds like a small girl screaming too. drive with a fuel pressure guage. what makes you think it might not be dirty injectors?, coils breaking down?, leaking EGR valve? leaking intake gaskets?, etc...?
honestly dude, i do this stuff for a living. im not trying to be a jerk, i just get frustrated when people replace parts without a real diagnoses. you need to get an IDS on that thing and do a cylinder balance test. also, mode 6 data should be checked. asi said in another thread, there can be a misfire without an actual code popping up. what about the fuel rail pressure sensor voltage? whats voltage is the MAF reading? short term and long term fuel trims? all these things have to be considered before making a diagnosis. they all link.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
regardless of what happens... the fuel pump will get replaced
i hope you're not wasting your money
Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
my fuel pump sounds like a small girl screaming too. drive with a fuel pressure guage. what makes you think it might not be dirty injectors?, coils breaking down?, leaking EGR valve? leaking intake gaskets?, etc...?
honestly dude, i do this stuff for a living. im not trying to be a jerk, i just get frustrated when people replace parts without a real diagnoses. you need to get an IDS on that thing and do a cylinder balance test. also, mode 6 data should be checked. asi said in another thread, there can be a misfire without an actual code popping up. what about the fuel rail pressure sensor voltage? whats voltage is the MAF reading? short term and long term fuel trims? all these things have to be considered before making a diagnosis. they all link.
where were you when I swung down to Baton Rouge? haha. I don't think you're being a dick man. It's all good.
Quote:
i hope you're not wasting your money
Well, here's the reason I'm not wasting my money... I had to upgrade the fuel pump anyway. I'm planning a Kenne Bell... and even with the boost-a-pump, I'm gonna need some extra fuel. I went ahead and bought an XCal-3... so I can do some data logging and you can mull over it if you like. I'm more than willing to do tests that you see fit as I don't want to put a blower on a car that's already having issues. All I ask is that we wait and see if the fuel pump fixes the issue

Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

fair enough. all is good in the name of upgrading. in about 7 months, im gonna have a REALLY loud fuel pump
magnapumps for the win! i have no idea where i was though, prolly working on something! hope you make it down for the new orleans meet. fun will be had. im trying to convince a few more people to come tag along
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
fair enough. all is good in the name of upgrading. in about 7 months, im gonna have a REALLY loud fuel pump
magnapumps for the win! i have no idea where i was though, prolly working on something! hope you make it down for the new orleans meet. fun will be had. im trying to convince a few more people to come tag along
I don't think it'll be possible this year... I'm working my balls off this summer. I have 3 jobs lined up. Should be more than enough to pay for a 2.1L Kenne Bell... I just have to figure out my engine issues.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think it'll be possible this year... I'm working my balls off this summer. I have 3 jobs lined up. Should be more than enough to pay for a 2.1L Kenne Bell... I just have to figure out my engine issues.
i hear ya man. im getting to where im starting to spend BIG money on my car. its a leech thats never satisfied. hopefully, single digits will be in my future
Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #52
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
I'm not sure his body is ready for another trip to new orleans. And I know Louis' truck isn't ready for him to be in it for another trip to new orleans. lol
Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I'm not sure his body is ready for another trip to new orleans. And I know Louis' truck isn't ready for him to be in it for another trip to new orleans. lol
Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hahaha yeah my liver is still pissed

Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha yeah my liver is still pissed
mine has never been happy with me

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

well turns out the brilliant workers at autozone don't know how to do there damn job so basickly I spent $150 for ford to tell me hey your coil pack is bad when the boys at autozone said they were fine the same day. ha but its about 75% betetr tho the problem is cyclinder #3 still miss fires at heaveyloads(flooring it, 4 or 5 gear when you give the gas) it like to jerk and sputter....any help on how to make it so its completely gone?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #57
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
well turns out the brilliant workers at autozone don't know how to do there damn job so basickly I spent $150 for ford to tell me hey your coil pack is bad when the boys at autozone said they were fine the same day. ha but its about 75% betetr tho the problem is cyclinder #3 still miss fires at heaveyloads(flooring it, 4 or 5 gear when you give the gas) it like to jerk and sputter....any help on how to make it so its completely gone?
I'm sure those that know more than me will put their input in. Sounds like you have more diagnosing to do. Me wonders if my coil pack is ok...
If not: GMS Ford 2V Pro-Series Coil Pack 99-04 (Set of 8) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! :drool: haha... as much as I hate throwing money away, I need this ***** to work correctly before I blow it

Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

i mean the car runs like ALOT better to the point were you can drive it daily and not realy care or ever notice it, but as being younge and loving to floor it here and there and go balls to the wall it annoys the living crap out of me and realy looking to fix it 100%
Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #59
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i mean the car runs like ALOT better to the point were you can drive it daily and not realy care or ever notice it, but as being younge and loving to floor it here and there and go balls to the wall it annoys the living crap out of me and realy looking to fix it 100%
change the plugs and see what they look like?

Data log it with a tuner?

Me wonders if you're not getting spark... or compression... or gas.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

gas pressure been tested its fine.....plugs are brang new basickly.....compression is fine.....the ford place ran that super computer thing (i don't knowwhat its called) and it came up as miss fire in cylinder #3 adn the coil pack helped a ton but im thinking mabe replacing all plug wires and just that plug(plugs literaly no more than 3 months old)

but the ford computer said all problems are from darn cyclinder #3

oh also it realy only does it when rpms are under 1500 0r like i said in 4 or 5 gear and give it gas to get moving say to go from 35 to 50 it'll studder for a second then once rpms catch up it fine
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
gas pressure been tested its fine.....plugs are brang new basickly.....compression is fine.....the ford place ran that super computer thing (i don't knowwhat its called) and it came up as miss fire in cylinder #3 adn the coil pack helped a ton but im thinking mabe replacing all plug wires and just that plug(plugs literaly no more than 3 months old)

but the ford computer said all problems are from darn cyclinder #3
is this cylinder 3 on the passenger side? The cylinder just under the throttle body/CAI is my "problem" cylinder. The plug always has a little bit of oil around the threads. I'm really hoping it's just the fuel pump, but I fear that it may also be the coils. I'm hoping data logging will provide the answer

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

ya its the on the passenger side 3rd one up or second down from windshield.

I think im going to buy a new plug and set of wires and see how it goes if not what else can i do?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #63
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
ya its the on the passenger side 3rd one up or second down from windshield.

I think im going to buy a new plug and set of wires and see how it goes if not what else can i do?
dude, that is the same one that causes issues as me! Ruh roh... haha. iamdat, will datalogging help you tell what's wrong?
I'm getting worried it's more than the fuel pump, again... haha.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

ha wow one in a million chances.....let me what the datalogger says.....and you still think the fuel pump could be the problem?

I'm not any expert but if the coil pack was the main issue wouldn't that mean the spark wasn't happing or not strong enough to burn the fuel properly or happening at the wronge time on only that cylinder so if a new plug and wire doesn't work what would be the next step? oh if only money grew on tree's
Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #65
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
ha wow one in a million chances.....let me what the datalogger says.....and you still think the fuel pump could be the problem?

I'm not any expert but if the coil pack was the main issue wouldn't that mean the spark wasn't happing or not strong enough to burn the fuel properly or happening at the wronge time on only that cylinder so if a new plug and wire doesn't work what would be the next step? oh if only money grew on tree's
well, I know how the car runs. If I give the fuel pump a chance to run before I start the car, it idles ok for a couple seconds. I ordered the tuner Monday, but it hasn't shipped yet

Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #66
Legacy Member
Legacy

it's worth mentioning my new fuel pump is OUT FOR DELIVERY!

Unfortunately, I have class til 8:30 tonight. However, after my work meeting tomorrow, I should be able to get it done.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

the "super computer" thingy is an IDS.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

a datalogger like an SCT will only do so much an only datalog so much. theres a point where you're gonna need to see mode 6 data .(ford datalogging data where you can practically see EVERYTHING going on) as far as plugs and wires, not a bad idea at all. preventative maintenence is where its at. it might be far fethched but its possible that high resistence in wires/plugs caused premature wear on the coil. heat is the killer of the coils though by far unless you have water/oil leaking in to the spark plug holes causeing the coils to short.

Quote:
I'm getting worried it's more than the fuel pump, again... haha.
thats what was my concern wheni made that rant earlier!
i hope it fixes the problem but i wouldnt hold my breath
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #69
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
a datalogger like an SCT will only do so much an only datalog so much. theres a point where you're gonna need to see mode 6 data .(ford datalogging data where you can practically see EVERYTHING going on) as far as plugs and wires, not a bad idea at all. preventative maintenence is where its at. it might be far fethched but its possible that high resistence in wires/plugs caused premature wear on the coil. heat is the killer of the coils though by far unless you have water/oil leaking in to the spark plug holes causeing the coils to short.

thats what was my concern wheni made that rant earlier!
i hope it fixes the problem but i wouldnt hold my breath
yeah, but I really don't want to pay $150 or so bucks for them to run their mode 6 data on it and say "yeah, it's the coil pack"... if I can determine that with something else. Do they give you a full read out? If so, it might be worth it... as I want to make sure the motor is blower safe, and $150 to prevent it blowing up is a deal I would have to make.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, but I really don't want to pay $150 or so bucks for them to run their mode 6 data on it and say "yeah, it's the coil pack"... if I can determine that with something else. Do they give you a full read out? If so, it might be worth it... as I want to make sure the motor is blower safe, and $150 to prevent it blowing up is a deal I would have to make.
they can tell you whatever information you want. they can give you cylinder compression variance (actual numbers still need to be gotten the old fashion way) people complain of spending 150 to get it checked out but really its not that bad considering how much the tool cost. i have a personal one and i paid 4 grand for it not including cost of updates. mode 6 is just one piece of info used to solve the puzzle. IMO, ive worked with several manufacturer specific scan tools as well other universal types (snap-on modis, master tech, etc..., etc...) and i think the IDS is the most in-depth, best scan tool out. if only it did other manufacturer's stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT