engine issues... no codes... fuel pump video added - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: engine issues... no codes... fuel pump video added

also, its common misconception the scantool diagnoses the car for you. well, it doesnt at all. the scantool gives you valuable information to solve the problem but there is no blatant diagnoses given. you have to read the codes, pids, check mechanical problems,etc.. to make a full diagnoses. thats the difference between a technician and mechanic. guessing and replacing parts for no reason is just non-sense.
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #72
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
also, its common misconception the scantool diagnoses the car for you. well, it doesnt at all. the scantool gives you valuable information to solve the problem but there is no blatant diagnoses given. you have to read the codes, pids, check mechanical problems,etc.. to make a full diagnoses. thats the difference between a technician and mechanic. guessing and replacing parts for no reason is just non-sense.
I know... the data is valuable in guiding you to checking parts. I just need the car to work correctly before throwing 9 psi through it.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
I know... the data is valuable in guiding you to checking parts. I just need the car to work correctly before throwing 9 psi through it.
i hear ya.m if it makes you feel better, my buddy matt has 9 psi on a vortech going through a 130k 2v engine. hasnt skipped a beat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #74
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
i hear ya.m if it makes you feel better, my buddy matt has 9 psi on a vortech going through a 130k 2v engine. hasnt skipped a beat
it gives me hope... I'm planning 9 psi intercooled through a 2.1 Kenne Bell. However, I have to find the issue here. If the coil packs are bad, do I just have to replace the C.O.P.'s? I'm hoping to God that new fuel pump and COPs would solve the issue completely.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

coils are expensive so i suggest you find out which one(s) are bad and only replace those. replace plugs on that cylinder as well
Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #76
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
coils are expensive so i suggest you find out which one(s) are bad and only replace those. replace plugs on that cylinder as well
XCOP Street - Ford Modular High Performance Ignition Coils XCOP STREET OEM REPLACEMENT IGNTIION COILS [WXCFMXV-R3S] - $269.98 : WeaponX Performance, High Performance Equipment

well, $300 for a new set isn't too bad... especially if they are going to start going down like dominoes. Think I should just bite the bullet? It'll help the car once it's blown anyway. I'm tired of the car not running... and that's a 40 minute job easy.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
XCOP Street - Ford Modular High Performance Ignition Coils XCOP STREET OEM REPLACEMENT IGNTIION COILS [WXCFMXV-R3S] - $269.98 : WeaponX Performance, High Performance Equipment

well, $300 for a new set isn't too bad... especially if they are going to start going down like dominoes. Think I should just bite the bullet? It'll help the car once it's blown anyway. I'm tired of the car not running... and that's a 40 minute job easy.
sho nuff, 40 mins to replace coil?:hahaha
thats a good price for a set of 8. as far as quality, i dont know. i stick to motorcraft stuff
Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Hes right about 40 mins maybe less.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #79
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Hes right about 40 mins maybe less.
And why are you replying? Can't you see this is the eddie/jimmie/dat show? Sheesh. lol

But yeah, swapping coils wouldn't take all that long. And WeaponX is a great brand. I remember watching them go through the whole process of creating the coils and the plugs for the 03/04 cobras on mod fords a couple years ago. Very good customer service as well.

Also, check leathal performance for those coils Jimbo....I know they sell the weaponx stuff as that's where I bought my plugs from a while back. They may be able to beat that price.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=PureVenom;580065]And why are you replying? Can't you see this is the eddie/jimmie/dat show? Sheesh. lol
QUOTE]

LOL!!! dont forget to replace plugs with coils now!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE]=iamdat;580080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
And why are you replying? Can't you see this is the eddie/jimmie/dat show? Sheesh. lol
Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

i am the number 1 post whore!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #83
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Huh?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Huh?
its good practice to replace the sparkplug of the cylinder getting a new coil. Ford says so.
i call it cheap insurance.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

ok drove the car one more day how it is from ford....car good compared to before but it sill studders under load like 3rd gear gassing it or second gear low rpm start off(say role through a stop sighn type deal) ....probly a very dumb thing to ask but im guessing replacing the plug wire and plug to that problem number #3 cyclder would be a good place to start in killing this gremblin all together. only thing that ticks me off is i spent $200 so bucks no more than 3 months early on all new plugs and wires itslike WTF come on now

also im still learning here so bare with me....if it a mis fire problem couldn't the problem be the computer timing in telling the plug to spark at the wronge time? especialy since its in only 1 cyclinder.
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #86
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

But yeah, swapping coils wouldn't take all that long. And WeaponX is a great brand. I remember watching them go through the whole process of creating the coils and the plugs for the 03/04 cobras on mod fords a couple years ago. Very good customer service as well.

Also, check leathal performance for those coils Jimbo....I know they sell the weaponx stuff as that's where I bought my plugs from a while back. They may be able to beat that price.
lol, no **** right? I ordered them... seems like I can't go wrong
Quote:
its good practice to replace the sparkplug of the cylinder getting a new coil. Ford says so.
i call it cheap insurance.
for sure.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #87
Legacy Member
Legacy

alright, so just to update this thread...

New Parts:
MAF and Housing (stock replacement, no tune needed)
Stock Motorcraft Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter

New Parts on the way/to be installed:
SVT Focus Fuel Pump (perhaps tonight if it warms up and my bro/dad bring up the drive on ramps... otherwise tomorrow)
WeaponX C.o.P.'s - Ordered yesterday, should be here Wednesday
SCT X-Cal 3 - Scheduled delivery is Monday

Let's hope this fixes it... otherwise some serious data logging will be in effect

Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #88
Legacy Member
Legacy

car runs great again!... TWO coils went out, 5 and 7.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

excellent. no coolant in the spark plug holes huh?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #90
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
excellent. no coolant in the spark plug holes huh?
no, of course not. I'm assuming cylinders 5 and 7 might have a little bit of fuel wash down... if the coils haven't been firing... I'm assuming the compression will come up once that goes away.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no, of course not. I'm assuming cylinders 5 and 7 might have a little bit of fuel wash down... if the coils haven't been firing... I'm assuming the compression will come up once that goes away.
it usually take a little time for fuel to washdown the cylinders and cause serious damage. compression wouldnt drop anyhow until there was damage. as far as it burning off, thats instant as soon as the first power stroke happens. one of the main problems with cylinder washdown is fuel contamination into the oil. it happens at such a slow rate though, it prolly wouldnt be a problem but changing your oil would be cheap insurance
Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #92
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
it usually take a little time for fuel to washdown the cylinders and cause serious damage. compression wouldnt drop anyhow until there was damage. as far as it burning off, thats instant as soon as the first power stroke happens. one of the main problems with cylinder washdown is fuel contamination into the oil. it happens at such a slow rate though, it prolly wouldnt be a problem but changing your oil would be cheap insurance
perhaps before the blower hahaha... I want the KB so bad right now. I'm thinking in a month? We shall see. I would like to get the WeaponX C.o.P.'s in obviously, but the blower needs to happen now lol

Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
perhaps before the blower hahaha... I want the KB so bad right now. I'm thinking in a month? We shall see. I would like to get the WeaponX C.o.P.'s in obviously, but the blower needs to happen now lol
i love mine!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #94
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i love mine!
Your KB or your WeaponX CoP's?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your KB or your WeaponX CoP's?
MY VORTECH
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #96
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
MY VORTECH
haha.... just wait, the KB will blow my load every time... especially since I have the functional '00 Cobra R hood... no muffling of the KB scream

Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
haha.... just wait, the KB will blow my load every time... especially since I have the functional '00 Cobra R hood... no muffling of the KB scream
haha, sweet! i cant wait to get my little 347 together. dart block, ported AFR 185's, eagle rotating assy, je pistons, etc... im thinking i might have to upgrade from a s-trim. prolly a ysi or maybe even turbo. whatever it takes to play. im tired of this little 302! i want real powa!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #98
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
haha, sweet! i cant wait to get my little 347 together. dart block, ported AFR 185's, eagle rotating assy, je pistons, etc... im thinking i might have to upgrade from a s-trim. prolly a ysi or maybe even turbo. whatever it takes to play. im tired of this little 302! i want real powa!
I have to learn how to drive a 400 hp car here pretty soon

Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have to learn how to drive a 400 hp car here pretty soon
heck yea dude! i thought id be happy with low 12's then now i drive my car and think "this **** is slow" so now its time to revamp the whole thing. im not gonna be happy until i scare my self retarded but realistically, a 9 second street car is what will make me happy.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #100
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
heck yea dude! i thought id be happy with low 12's then now i drive my car and think "this **** is slow" so now its time to revamp the whole thing. im not gonna be happy until i scare my self retarded but realistically, a 9 second street car is what will make me happy.
I'm going to chill at 400 hp for awhile... and then when I build the motor I'll up it to around 600... maybe end up around 700 all said and done. I think that'd be a decent power for the GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT