OK really don't know what to do now..... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

OK really don't know what to do now.....

ok as most know about the studdering problem i have it's back

i replaced both coils, all plug wires, plugs......yet I just hade 3 girls(skinny not whales) in the back to the mall and BAM all it did was studder and misfire and you could feel the hole car jerk and the shifter just jerk with the engine and have no power like in 5th you couldn't excellerate for anything you actualy went slower for the car rattled that much.

I don't know what to do it works fine with only me and a buddy in the car or in first gear and your floor it but once it's under load or rpms are low it just misfires like all hell

I'm totally out of money I don't know what to do any advice it's my only car and im on sports and school andn o way to get places now.
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: OK really don't know what to do now.....

also i reset the ecu(take battery cables off for 2 hours and then let car idle for 15 min) and still no luck still studders with wieght in the car and without any it does it in the higher gears....any help
Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I'd check your FRPS - fuel rail pressure sensor. It's a sensor on the fuel rail - small vacuum line running into the bottom, mounted to the fuel rail, electrical sensor plugged into top. 2 small screws holding it in, carry it to any parts place and have them check it. I'll warn you...they aren't cheap if that's what it is.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

wonderful......i was told by my buddies dad(small time mechanic) that it could be the crankshaft possitioning sensor. any word on that?

also if i took the darn car to autozone do they have that computer thing(forget the name) that will basickly tell me "this is your problem here fix this" i mean ford said cyclinder #3 was misfiring but i replaced everything i could and it still does it.

could you also give me a picture or website to get a look at what this thing looks like.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
wonderful......i was told by my buddies dad(small time mechanic) that it could be the crankshaft possitioning sensor. any word on that?

also if i took the darn car to autozone do they have that computer thing(forget the name) that will basickly tell me "this is your problem here fix this" i mean ford said cyclinder #3 was misfiring but i replaced everything i could and it still does it.
If it's throwing a code they can read it there.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

well there no CEL so im guessing that no on that.......but back to the simple thing if the ford place says cyclinder #3 misfires and i replace plugs,wires and both coils and it still presists what else is there to do.

i have ot wait till tomarrow after school to take the FRPS to get checked
Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #7

What year and motor car? What Plugs are you using?

It just cost me a bunch at the dealer on my '99 V-6 to figure out you have to use Motorcraft. same symptomsas yours, but it was Cyl#1(and I was getting the CEL), all they did was change the plugs, and they said the computer needed an update, but the update wasnt causing the problem, it was definitely the plugs, I tried Autolite, and NGK, but as soon as they put the stock Motorcraft in there it ran fine, and has been for a month. Now i have an emissions code, but that doesnt affect driveability.
rchevelle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
What year and motor car? What Plugs are you using?

It just cost me a bunch at the dealer on my '99 V-6 to figure out you have to use Motorcraft. same symptomsas yours, but it was Cyl#1(and I was getting the CEL), all they did was change the plugs, and they said the computer needed an update, but the update wasnt causing the problem, it was definitely the plugs, I tried Autolite, and NGK, but as soon as they put the stock Motorcraft in there it ran fine, and has been for a month. Now i have an emissions code, but that doesnt affect driveability.
That's strange... considering Autolite manufactures the Motorcraft brand plugs.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

motocraft and i replaced the ones I ust bought 3 mnonths ago and still no help to the problem.

now the strangest thing today taking this girl home from school the car ran perfectly no studder no bogging nothing ran like brand new then ust as quickly as tyhe car ran fine(about five minutes) it instantly went back to studdering and bogging and shaking like steroid fiilled midgets were on the outside shaking it left and right.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

try fuel filter
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

fuel filter was replaced about say $300 worth of new parts ago so it is brand spanking new and fuel pressure was checked already it 31psi at idle and 43psi top out at around 5000rpm
Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
That's strange... considering Autolite manufactures the Motorcraft brand plugs.

I agree, and thats why I used Autolite first(maybe it was the fact that they were platinums, but I dont see that). When I suspected plugs I used something totally different(NGK's), and it ran the same, thats why I assumed plugs were OK, and brought it to the dealer, maybe I got had?? Either way, the car runs like new now, turns out it needed a lot of little things, and it was nice to have a trained tech do a once over on the car for me, he picked up on some things I never would have looked for, and gave me the option to have them do it, or do it myself, I had them do the radiator, just because I had a trip to make that weekend, and he gave me a good price on it(if you can believe the dealer did that, but I had just bought my 08 GT from them the week before), but he gave me a list of thinkgs such as the pinion seal leaking etc. that should be done, they are all fixed, and the car is perfect now.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
motocraft and i replaced the ones I ust bought 3 mnonths ago and still no help to the problem.

now the strangest thing today taking this girl home from school the car ran perfectly no studder no bogging nothing ran like brand new then ust as quickly as tyhe car ran fine(about five minutes) it instantly went back to studdering and bogging and shaking like steroid fiilled midgets were on the outside shaking it left and right.
Possibly a vacuum leak that only happens after the car reaches a certain temp, or certain load???
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #14

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to josiahes

I had a similar problem in my car. It would studder and shake and misfire like a mad man, but it also would blow one of the coils, so I don't know if yours is doing that too? My problem was that I had just replaced the plenum and throttle body, when while putting everything back in order, the bundle of wires running to the coils wasn't put back right and ended up against the plenum exhaust. This caused the wires to melt to the pipe and would randomly cause a short(thus cause mis-fire). So I would recomend tracing your wires from the coils to the fire wall just to be sure! Hope that helps!
josiahes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

ok so got the car ran through another on of them super computers and the guy ran the test 3 times at 3 diff points in the day and even ran it while the car was on the freeway and no codes or nothing bad you can say showed up and it was all normal.

now the car still shakingg crazy bad in low rpm(800-2500) mostly when you give it quarter-half throttle or so and if there is a load in the car it realy does it. The rpm clutster needle doesn't move or fluckuate when the car shakes but the car doesn't seem to want to go when it does shake.

Any other idea's?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

no guarantee that your new coils are any good.. Check the mounting and connectors for them.. look for ANY cracks on the housing

What kind of gas are you running?

Any chance you can hook a vacuum gauge up to the motor? If you can.. this will work in neutral/park..

Connect vacuum gauge (should read ~17-22 at idle) rev engine to 2500 RPM and hold it.. if it starts dropping ~5-10 PSI you could have a plugged cat or damaged exhaust somewhere in the line.. that's one possibility (and will be most noticeable under load)

And for what its worth your emissions code could very well help point towards the problem, let us know what it is if you can
Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
And for what its worth your emissions code could very well help point towards the problem, let us know what it is if you can
How do i find that out?

gas i've been running 89 for a while....problem?

and would autozone have that quage like on that pay and barrow thing they do.

also just took the car out with just me in it(166lb) and the car still shook but only for a split second and very barlly.....like i said with people god the car feels like it gonna rip in half.

could it be something not related to the motor say loose or brken prart in driveline? I tested the clutch a couple ways and it never showed slipping. But after 3 diff shops say the motor has nothing wronge with it I'm kinda thinking motor fine,gas millage average,powers there now again execpt when shaking it seems like it doesn't have that urge to move(could just be me freaking out about the skaing and not noticing but ill find out forsure tommarrow on the daily bring people home from school runs).

sorry again for the long type ups and question
Old 05-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

well not to be of bother but the problem has been fixed and I'm kicking my self hard for it......turns out this entire time the plugs wern't gapped right they were about .13 off what they should have been.....and i've drove the car and not only has the power gone sky high from before but no more rattling it awsome.

thanks for help be back when next thing goes wronge.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #19

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to josiahes

glad to hear everything's ok! nothing worse then having your sweet baby sick, and nothing better than having all that missing power ready at push of your foot.
josiahes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT