Just bought a '98 Automatic Mustang GT... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Region: Wisconsin
Just bought a '98 Automatic Mustang GT...

Hi, this is my first time posting on this site. From older threads ive read, it seems that a lot of people ask the question about what performance parts to put into your car and what does/doesnt work. im sorry that my question is repetitive, but id rather get input from peolpe who know about the parts instead of me trying to do it myself. i just got this mustang and love it but was really hoping for a manual. But i have about 5.5-6k and am looking into changing my: exhaust, air intake, ride height (lower), underhood styling, body kits, and fuel injection. i realize that is a long list, but any input you can give is greatly appreciated!!

f.y.i. I do know greatly about sound systems, and installing them if anyone has questions.

-1998 Mustang GT Coupe
-Cold Air Intake
Della446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Just bought a '98 Automatic Mustang GT...

Well, nice to see a fellow wisconsinite on the forum. Not too many of us from the northwoods.

First I would stop and decide on where you want to go with the car. The 4.6L 2v is a great platform to mod, even the pre 99+ v8's. You could make a mildly modded daily driver or a heavily modded 1320 monster. A port swap like what modular2valve did will get you up to a 99+ GT's numbers.

If you're looking for serious performance, I would go straight for a power adder with your budget, i.e. supercharger, turbo, built engine, nitrous.
You can pick up a supercharger for 3500-5000. Then with the spare cash, buy some supporting mods for the supercharger.

You could easily get all the mods you listed in your above post with some cash to spare. However, after those performance mods, you're probably only going to gain 20hp tops. But if that's all you really want, then go for it. Along with exhaust, cai, and a couple of other bolt-ons, you could get lowering springs, and other aesthetic mods.

Either path you take, I would consider a tuner. It is a must for a power adder, and will help your auto significantly. It will firm up shifts and adjust shift points for crisper, faster shifts.

But it's up to you, the nice thing about mustangs is that you can do so many things with them. Hope this helps, and I may need some of your expertise regarding sound systems in the future

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

+100. basically its what u want out of your car.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #4

yes sir indeed sonic, Wisconsin is the place to be. I'm glad another person can understand that sometimes in May you have to wear snowpants or in December you are wearing shorts. but my main goals for my mustang is to one: beat my best friend that has a '95 talon esi (the non-turbo, front wheel drive version-he's dumb and didnt spend a little extra for AWD or turbo or both) which has limited aftermarket performance parts (intake, exhaust), but im pretty sure stock i could beat him. He just gives me crap because he has a manual and i drive a automatic. two: make it really loud and an increase of 20-30+ hp. not really anything to drastic for hp increases. and modular what did you mean by i would want 100+?

-1998 Mustang GT Coupe
-Cold Air Intake
Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

another thing to keep in mind is dont just start buying things and doing things, research, get it right, and dont buy things you later will replace. This is why its good to have a set of goals and know what you want out of the car in a realistic manor and go for that in the best way you can.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #6

oh yeah i definately agree. i got the car about two weeks ago and havent bought anything yet besides everyones favorite purchase...gas. but i have been researching non-stop 24/7. are there any websites that are more reliable and offer better parts than some of the others?

-1998 Mustang GT Coupe
-Cold Air Intake
Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Some of our site sponsors are the best. American Muscle is without a doubt amazing. Free shipping, quick arrival despite free shipping, decent pricing, and great customer service. VMP tuning is great for SCT tuners for your mustang.

I've heard Late Model Restoration Supply, StangMods, and V6MustangStuff are pretty decent as well.

I wouldn't recommend RPM outlet, for they have crappy service and constantly mix up shipping invoices and products

CJ Pony Parts used to be ok, but lately they have been ignorant to customers, and it takes forever to receive orders from them once they are shipped. What takes them 2 weeks to deliver takes American Muscle 4 days.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della446 View Post
yes sir indeed sonic, Wisconsin is the place to be. I'm glad another person can understand that sometimes in May you have to wear snowpants or in December you are wearing shorts. but my main goals for my mustang is to one: beat my best friend that has a '95 talon esi (the non-turbo, front wheel drive version-he's dumb and didnt spend a little extra for AWD or turbo or both) which has limited aftermarket performance parts (intake, exhaust), but im pretty sure stock i could beat him. He just gives me crap because he has a manual and i drive a automatic. two: make it really loud and an increase of 20-30+ hp. not really anything to drastic for hp increases. and modular what did you mean by i would want 100+?
true dat, I've been here 15 years and have finally gotten used to it. As long as I get at least 3 good months to drive my stang, I'm happy.

I don't know about your friend, but he is pretty un-informed. His talon has a
2 liter 4 banger that produces an awesome 140 hp at the crank. (TSi's had 210) You have 225 hp at the crank, and one thing he doesn't and never will truly have...torque.
Despite his 5spd, and possibly great shifting abilities, you should still have him.

A co-worker of mine (96 sunfire 4 door) raced another co-worker (95ish talon esi) and whooped his ***. Now I whooped the sunfire's ***, am I'm pretty sure you would beat me above 60, so I think you're fine.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

The best place for parts is summitracing.com
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

oh i mean i totally agree with sonic when i said +100.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #11

thank you everyone for all the help. i just bought a magnapack catback, cold air intake kit, bbk lowering springs, bbk high flow fuel rail kit, stalker body kit, hid dual beam headlight kit, 18" deep dish chrome bullitt wheels, Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator, and a xenon hood scoop. i also installed a complete pioneer premier audio system. thank you again to everyone!!

-1998 Mustang GT Coupe
-Cold Air Intake
Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #12

i hope to have pictures soon!

-1998 Mustang GT Coupe
-Cold Air Intake
Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della446 View Post
thank you everyone for all the help. i just bought a magnapack catback, cold air intake kit, bbk lowering springs, bbk high flow fuel rail kit, stalker body kit, hid dual beam headlight kit, 18" deep dish chrome bullitt wheels, Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator, and a xenon hood scoop. i also installed a complete pioneer premier audio system. thank you again to everyone!!
Holy wow That's quite a list. You're gonna love the magnapacks. They sound amazing on the 4.6L's. Here is one of my favorites:

Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea i have been meaning to get a video of my car lately but i just moved into a new house and working nights suck. but i will get one soon.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #15

hey sonic, that movie is flippin awesome!!!!!!! and you have a beautiful mustang. and i have been doing more research on all the parts i wanted to buy that would fit in my budget than one person should. sleep was on the back burner and my schooling turned into research. but im excited to have my buddy and i put it in and when its done ill make a video and post some pictures. thanks again...god you have such a sweet looking mustang.

-1998 Mustang GT Coupe
-Cold Air Intake
Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you very much! It is my pride and joy. As much as I want a GT/cobra right now, I just can't sell that one and part with it...not that it would make much sense since it's paid for.

Definitely post some pics. Hell, even post some now, we'd love to see your car!
Good luck with your parts, and remember, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask on here...there are a lot of guys on here who are amazing with mustangs and could definitely help

Oh, and how 'bout them brewers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT