Mustang spoiler - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang spoiler

hey so i just picked up my gt last week and this might sound crazy, but i dont like the spoiler that came with it.

It doesn't bother me a lot, but i prefer my stang without one because it just looks better to me

so what is the procedure of removing it? i heard if u take it off, rust will start to build up and u will basically have more problems? here are my car pics

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t128115/
Rich_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Mustang spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Guy View Post
hey so i just picked up my gt last week and this might sound crazy, but i dont like the spoiler that came with it.

It doesn't bother me a lot, but i prefer my stang without one because it just looks better to me

so what is the procedure of removing it? i heard if u take it off, rust will start to build up and u will basically have more problems? here are my car pics

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t128115/
I agree with you. Mine was removed when I had a repaint, just a matter of getting under the trunk lid and unbolting it.

The scoop that didn't scoop had to go, too. I like it a lot better, but it's just a matter of taste.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 Front Small2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	20745   Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 Passenger small.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	20746  

Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like a lot of work just for a spoiler. so you had the whole car repainted? what was the price to get it unbolted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You should be able to do that yourself. I think it's only four bolts to remove it. There will probably be some adhesive between the spoiler and the deck. Goo Gone will probably take that off.

Some guys have taken small plugs they got at a hardware store or marine supply and put in the holes as a temporary fix to keep rain out while they decide if they like the look or not. That might actually look worse than just keeping the spoiler, though!
Jim
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So do i have to repaint if i unbolt it
Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Guy View Post
So do i have to repaint if i unbolt it
I wouldn't think so. It's already painted under there. Even though I bought my car new, it had lots of miles on it (177,000) and needed a repaint.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

You could always paint the plugs with touch up paint so it gets close to matching. That would make them a lot less noticeable. Then just tell people you put on a spoiler delete kit

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea the surface material wont rust as the trunk is not metal, but the holes will let water in. You can plug them but the plugs look cheap and are noticable. The only real options are to repaint the trunk to fill the holes, get another spoiler that you like that covers or reuses the stock holes (a duck tail type low spoiler if you dont like spoilers much aka look at the 03/04 cobra rear spoiler (check my album pictures)), or trade with someone that has no spoiler and shares the same color as your car for your trunk with a spoiler.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT