engine coolant drain plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

engine coolant drain plugs

engine drain plugs - where are they?
back by the oil drain or in front by the steering mechanism?
i pulled a bolt on the driver's side on the lower side of the engine block way back by the oil drain plug (above it) and nothing came out. i either did a perfect drain job, or this was not the plug. the one on the other side was pretty impossible to reach with a socket or wrench. there are also two bolts toward the front above the steering system, but i also couldn't get a tool on them. these are metal bolts and not plastic, right? i'm either looking right at them, or they aren't there. once again, haynes is no help on this one.
don't buy haynes.
i'm all drained, flushed, t-stat swapped and ready for fill.
want to make sure i've done it all before filling it back up.
968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: engine coolant drain plugs

okay, went out fresh today and found the engine drain plugs. they're actually allen sockets. the one on the driver's side is pretty easily accessible, but the one on the passenger side.... i can see it but i have no idea how you're supposed to get a tool on that! maybe i'll just let sleeping dogs lie. i've already drained/filled with distilled water a few times and the stuff coming out is pretty clear.
my biggest question at this point.... i should mix the coolant pretty heavy with anti-freeze because the 2 quarts or so in the engine is going to be mostly water, right?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I would run more antifreeze when it gets into the colder months. You can run straight water if you would like during the summer months. The coolant is used as a lubricant for the water pump/thermostat and to eliminate freezing in the winter months
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some should come out, when they took mine out of my engine block it had some in it for sure.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i wonder how you/the mechanic got to the screws? i can see them, but they sure are up in the engine.
i don't have allen sockets, so i'm going to go get some (a handy tool to have anyway) and see if a few extensions and a socket will reach.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

just went and bought an allen wrench socket for my tool set. with a ratchet, extension and 5/16" allen wrench, i got the drain bolt off the driver's side of the engine block.
the drain that i thought was on the passenger side turned out to just be a rust spot. i just took a flash light and looked everywhere on the passenger side for a drain, but couldn't find one. the starter is right where the drain is on the corresponding passenger's side. i can't imagine they would have put a coolant drain right behind the starter, right? is there only one engine block drain on the v-8 engine? it's pretty tight under there with the a/c compresser and the starter. not too many options for locations.
oh, and quite a bit of coolant did come out of that driver's side plug. so it was worth it.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i looked again last night for the mysterious second block drain plug. i don't think there is a second on on my engine. 4/6L v-8 sohc. if it's there, it's in a very unique location or right behind the starter. either way, i gave up looking and refilled the coolant. let's hope for no leaks today.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I've never inspected a 4.6 up close so it may only have one?? I know the 302's have 2 of them. And even if you can get to them, they can be a PITA sometimes. Your not losing anything by only removing one. You will be fine mixing it 50/50 and not worrying about the little water left in the engine if there is some. I would never recomend using only water in a DD. The coolant also has rust/corrosion inhibitor's in it to keep the engine components and radiator from gunking up, besides keeping everything cool. Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT