2000 cd player space - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2000 cd player space

i've been thinking about replacing the factory stereo in my 2000 mustang.
it's the old fashioned double din opening style - one hole for head unit/tape player and another hole for a separate cd player.
i had a stereo once that had an equalizer and it sounded great, but i'm not a teenager anymore and those things are really expensive.
does anyone know, besides putting an eq in the old cd player hole, if there are aftermarket accessories you can put in that space? even a cubby hole or something with a flip door for chapstick would be fine with me.
968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: 2000 cd player space

They do make just an opening and you can really pick it up anywhere. Metra makes a kit for it, it's there Universal Kit, and I think the part number is something like 88-00-9000. In my '98 I hooked up two LED's to the dimmer switch, I've seen people who cut a piece of ABS plastic and covered up the hole, also put the Ford Oval on it.

They also make a Double DIN opening for the Radio like the 01-04 have. You can probably get one from a Junk yard from a later New Edge and directly put it in. You might need a little modification however such as two screw holes to mount the radio behind the trim.

If you're feeling creative and have the ingenuity you could always fasten something up, like another cup holder or secret compartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

that's exactly what i was looking for. i figured that someone must have had this thought before me. if only they had a little door that closed up, i'd be totally tickled.
that'll work perfectly.
i'm impressed that you knew the part number. i can't even remember my wife's cell phone number!
how do you obtain products from them? i didn't see an order button on their web site. do i have to find a local dealer?
thanks a lot for the tip.
968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I can't believe that was the actual part number, I figured I was close but not on. I guess because it differs from there other part numbers and I've looked for it before.

As for getting the product, their site confuses me because they have plenty of links to buy product from them but no real ordering. You should be able to go to any installation place, the part is pretty common where even the smallest shop should carry it. If that doesn't work you can always go to Best Buy I know they have it. The part number may differ slightly but only by "BBY-" prefix to show it the retailer's. I'm sure you can try (dare I say it) Wal-Mart but I would try another auto parts store that's also likely to sell audio equipment like Pep Boys, Advance Auto or Auto Zone, then there is AutoBarn.

You can also order online at many stores including Crutchfield.

If you are really set on a compartment you can always get the trim off of another car and trim the piece so it will hot glue to the pocket or empty space
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can probably get a junk yard little hole thing~ they put them in many mustangs its just a cubby hole
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT