In stock form/power levels:
Originally Posted by NickPic
well after some research i have decided to go with a 03/04 cobra. my questions are....
are there any usual problems that occur with them?
what are the best 1st few mods(performance) to get for them?
where are the best places to find quality mods for a good price?
also if anyone knows how hard is it to add the styling bar on the verts?
- Throw out bearing will go bad
- Could develop the tick depending on when the car was built. This typically is a result of long high speed runs because coolant pools up in #7 and 8 cylinders and has no means of escape.
- Goes through tires depending on how heavy your foot is.
- Halfshafts could break due to wheel hop
- Some have reported a vibration issue above 50 mph. Most have had this corrected by now.
- Recall issued for the carpet under the gas pedal hooking on to the gas pedal and holding it wide open.
- Drive train will clunk...this is normal.
In modded/higher power levels
- Halfshafts could break due to wheel hop
- Input shaft could sheer off as it is only a 10 spline
- Same tick issue if you have not installed the cooling mod
Best performance mods and some highly recommended mods:
- If you are looking for around 400-450 rwhp, then just install a smaller upper pulley and a tune. (BilletFlow: Home of Premium Billet Pulleys, Throttle Bodies and Accessories
for the upper pulleys)
- If you are looking for around 500 rwhp, then go with a ported and pullied eaton swap and a tune.
- If you are looking for 550+ rwhp, go with a twin screw blower swap and a tune (whipple or KB)
- CAI is definitely a must. www.jlttruecoldair.com
- Cat back for sure. Stock it is way too quiet.
- Some form of mid pipe upgrade would definitely be recommended. Offroad if you don't have to worry about visual inspections in your state.
- MGW Short throw shifter. Butter smooth. MGW LTD., INC. - CNC Machined and Turned Parts. Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, and Viper
- Upgraded heat exchanger. A dual pass would be a good choice. Or, one of the two options available that route your AC coolant to super cool your intercooler fluid. Killer Chiller is one, I forgot the other one. ( Home Page
I believe is the website.)
- Head cooling mod is a must. Either the even flow kit which routes to the front of the car or the other style that connects the driver head into the passenger head outflow.
- Idler pulley swap is a must. Stock idlers have been known to come apart. Billetflow is a good source for those as well.
- IRS Bushing swap. You can go cheap and get the steeda poly bushings...but I recommend the bushing kit from a member of another forum. They are all delrin, aluminum, and ultra hard poly. For $600 the kit is a great deal. I just installed it this spring...great kit.
- 26 spline input shaft. This will require a new clutch though.
Ok, that's several typical mods just off the top of my head.
Sources for parts:
Check out our vendors at the top. I haven't shopped with them yet as I haven't needed to buy parts lately.
If you aren't able to find 03/04 cobra parts through them, here are some highly recommended sources for parts:
- Lethal Performance - Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
- They will carry just about anything you are shopping for.
- Atomic Performance - Atomic Performance - TA Performance, Pro 5.0, SCT, C&L, JLT Cold Air
- They will have most of what you are looking for. If they don't have it on their website but they carry the brand you are looking for, you can PM them here and they can get it for you. It's happened to me several times. Their user id here is Atomic Performance.
- Billetflow - BilletFlow: Home of Premium Billet Pulleys, Throttle Bodies and Accessories
- For your upper and idler pulley needs. They also make throttle bodies, but I have one and would recommend buying a different one. Idle sucks.
- Running with the devil - www.rwtd.com
- I recommend these guys for your tuning needs if you decide to to remote custom tuning and don't have access to a local dyno tuner. They are well established tuners located in Mobile, AL.
- Amazon Racing - Contact us in Anderson, South Carolina, for performance auto parts, performance chips, and Dyno Tuning - Home
- I also recommend these guys for your custom tuning needs. These guys are located in South Caroline.
- Brooks Speed - Brooks Speed - Custom Ford, GM, Dodge Tuning
- Eric Brooks used to work for SCT developing the XCAL hand held tuners. He has a ridiculous amount of knowledge about tuning. I highly recommend him as well for your custom tuning needs. He is located in Georgia.
Ok, that's about it off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions about mods for an 03/04 cobra and what not, post up. If I can't answer it I can tell you where to go to get the answer.