I need help again. Should I buy this mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exclamation I need help again. Should I buy this mustang?

So I've been waiting patiently and looking on craigslist trying to find good deals on mustangs I might be interested in. When I stumbled onto this one.

its a 2002 mustang gt
and heres the 411 i didn't write just copied and pasted whats on the posting;

Up 4-sale is my daily driver 17-26mpg mustang gt.This time im serious & wont back down.Lots of performance parts:new eibach pro kit lowering springs ,bassani o/r x pipe,magnaflow magnapack c/b,steeda pullies,steeda cai,3:55 gears,spec stg 2 clutch,kenwood excelon with ipod connect,kenwood 5x7`s all around jl audio 10" with punch amp for high`s & mtx for lows.mach 1 chin spoiler,mach 1 grille delete,pro 5.0 short shifter with mach 1 shift knob & poloished shifter bezel,staggered 18" wheels with near new tires ,new brakes++++++ list goes on & on reason its so cheap is that it has a rebuilt title but car is flawless

Fully loaded Mustang GT with a strong 4.6L engine with a 5spd transmission 88,800 mi..Fast,fun & reliable.Alot of upgrades in & out.Dropped the price for quick sale.REBUILT TITLE & no i will not take payments so please dont ask.Thank you

So what stood out to me the most was rebuilt ive done some research and i get a 50/50 reaction

1. dont buy the car, beware
or
2. if the car was rebuilt with quality parts and correctly why not.

what do you guys think?

he "dropped" the price from 5500 to 4,600 in the span of about 3 weeks.

help. honesty is always appreciated thank you.

here are some photos of the vehicle;

thank you for looking.
02 F150 FX4 silver- (Sold)
98 F150 4x4 white- (Sold)
02 GT mineral gray 1st car stock - (Sold)
mikehailey02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: I need help again. Should I buy this mustang?

it looks like someone took real good care of it
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Did he say why its under rebuilt?

looks pretty good, has nice mods, i like the steeda cold air intake..i don't like how the exterior is painted though just my own taste

if the car is in good mechanical condition and you like it, i say get it, he has a lot of tasty mods

bring 4,000 cash and be like 4,000 right now and see if he takes it
Rich_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Hmm...you're probably right, it's a 50/50 chance. The guy either rebuilt the car, didn't turn out too well, just enough to run and "look" good, and is looking for a quick sale to an unaware victim...OR...he did a decent job, the car is just showing some normal signs of 88,000 miles - worn leather, faded chin spoiler and weatherstripping

Looking at the pics, to me at least, it doesn't look lowered, and pro kit springs drop those mustangs at least 1.5 inches. Where is the insert for the hood scoop. The engine bay is dirty as hell, mechanical/electrical problems could occur later. Who keeps the outside of their car looking that clean and ignores the engine bay all together.

Idk, he did say that it is a rebuilt title, I'll give him that, but it doesn't necessarily mean it was done right. Tough call man.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

yeah forgot to mention that bro it really dosent look lowered....
Rich_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: I need help again. Should I buy this mustang?

Well thank you all for answers Im still undecided I really didnt like it at first well the paint job but im starting too. dumb question; do 2002 mustang gt's have a shift up light on the cluster?

and i agree the engine looks neglected but i dont know im still lost. i hate the fact thats its a 50/50 chance.

were gonna have a friend of the family thats a mechanic take a look at it and if he gives me the green light i'll take it if he doesnt i guess i'll have to let it go and keep on looking.

** also i think the owner of the car is a chick.

wow.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehailey02gt View Post
Well thank you all for answers Im still undecided I really didnt like it at first well the paint job but im starting too. dumb question; do 2002 mustang gt's have a shift up light on the cluster?

and i agree the engine looks neglected but i dont know im still lost. i hate the fact thats its a 50/50 chance.

were gonna have a friend of the family thats a mechanic take a look at it and if he gives me the green light i'll take it if he doesnt i guess i'll have to let it go and keep on looking.

** also i think the owner of the car is a chick.

wow.
That's a good way to do it. Having him look at it will pretty much decide whether the car is worth buying or not. I'd also take a good look at the frame and underbody. Look for anything out of place or suspicious that might indicate damage/alterations to the frame.

I don't think the GT's came with a shift light in stock form, probably an aftermarket add on.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Before buying it, if u decide to, get the vin # and call the DMV. Make sure it can be plated. I know here in IL for a car to have a rebuilt/salvage title, it has to be inspected by the state, and the title will say rebuilt/salvage forever. Check fender well for a puddy like substance. body shops like to use it for quick repairs if it's an insurance claim. Also check to see if there is extra washers where the fenders bolt on, where the hood bolts on, where the doors,trunk, tail lights bolt on. Could be an indication of a wreck before and wasn't properly fixed by a body shop. Shims don't make the car straight, just makes it look OK on the outside.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

^^^Good info. It's amazing what shops will slap together and call "fixed".

Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Who keeps the outside of their car looking that clean and ignores the engine bay all together
me... well i guess my engine isn't horribly dirty, but i wash the outside and call it good..

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
me... well i guess my engine isn't horribly dirty, but i wash the outside and call it good..
Well, I meant when someone is trying to sell a car. If I was looking at a car and the seller popped the hood and the engine bay was dirty as hell, I'd start to have second thoughts. I mean someone could at least make an effort to clean it up when selling the car, it's bad enough they didn't clean it every once in a while before they put if up for sale. Hence, this GT he found. To me, to have the exterior perfect and the engine bay ****ty = fail.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: I need help again. Should I buy this mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Well, I meant when someone is trying to sell a car. If I was looking at a car and the seller popped the hood and the engine bay was dirty as hell, I'd start to have second thoughts. I mean someone could at least make an effort to clean it up when selling the car, it's bad enough they didn't clean it every once in a while before they put if up for sale. Hence, this GT he found. To me, to have the exterior perfect and the engine bay ****ty = fail.
yea i dont pay much attention to the engine bay myself but i do clean everyonce in a while. nothing bad in cleaning it up to look nice. i do agree though if youre selling the vehicle a little touch up would be nice.

i really want to thank all of you for your tips i didnt expect this much of a response

when i check out the car i'll know what to look for where to look and what questions to ask.

im hoping this one isnt a dud.

once again thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

that car looks pretty rough, I would personally pass on it.

why do you want another gt?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
that car looks pretty rough, I would personally pass on it.

why do you want another gt?
you think so? damn

and to answer your question i had posted a thread earlier about another mustang i wanted to buy. because i really want to mod the one i have now i have great plans for it but i need a daily driver so i've been looking around for other mustang gt's.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, since you're planning to mod, you would probably be better off modding the rebuilt one instead of your current car. That way you could replace a lot of the horribly kept items like the engine and what not and you'll know your DD is in good working order and has been taken care of.

I'm not sure I would buy it though. The fact they say it is lowered with eibach springs and it is obviously still a 4x4, it would make me question the rest of the description as well.

Granted, those pics are a year old so maybe it has been lowered since then...which also makes me question the ad. Why are you showing me pics that are a year old? When did the accident happen that made it become a rebuilt title? Was it after the pics were taken? If so, this is a basic bait and switch type deal...only using the same car.

EDIT: Also, I went ahead and made the pics show in the first post...save everyone from clicking the links.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Well, since you're planning to mod, you would probably be better off modding the rebuilt one instead of your current car. That way you could replace a lot of the horribly kept items like the engine and what not and you'll know your DD is in good working order and has been taken care of.

I'm not sure I would buy it though. The fact they say it is lowered with eibach springs and it is obviously still a 4x4, it would make me question the rest of the description as well.

Granted, those pics are a year old so maybe it has been lowered since then...which also makes me question the ad. Why are you showing me pics that are a year old? When did the accident happen that made it become a rebuilt title? Was it after the pics were taken? If so, this is a basic bait and switch type deal...only using the same car.

EDIT: Also, I went ahead and made the pics show in the first post...save everyone from clicking the links.
Thats something I did think of but my father who got me the car wants to help with the modding hes got some ideas for the car I wouldnt want to be ungrateful and ask him to mod the other one instead.

and about the pics thats very true im going to go see the car for the first time on saturday i'll ask her all the things you brought up to try and find more info on the car thanks.

***thank you for making the pics visible!!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, that's definitely a valid reason to want to mod your current car.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

why not just get some little jap car for a DD until you get your mods done on your current car? or do you plans involve not using it as a DD?

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT