I need help...with everything - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to raptor6099
Re: I need help...with everything

Wow...I didn't notice the price lol.
Brakes sound plenty good to me then...just remind me never to get in a car with you

For the CAI you showed me, where is it getting the air?
And if I am using that and I get a hood with a working air scoop or heat extractor, will it make a difference?
raptor6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #37
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Cobras have a heat extracting hood already. There are 2 holes in the front part of the hood that suck the heat out of the engine bay. It is very obvious on cold days as sometimes you can't read the plate of the car in front of you.

The intake I have pulls air from the hole in the fender right next to it...as well as air that is flowing through the engine bay. It may be a few degrees warmer, but, it doesn't have to navigate any bends between the MAF and the filter. No weird readings for me.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I'm loving the Cobra. Half the stuff I expected to spend money on is included stock lol.

Wheels and tires: How do the rims affect the performance? (Size, material, weight, etc)

[EDIT] Was there any difference between the 03 and 04 Cobras?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I went to a German festival last night and a car club was doing a show. I was talking to a guy who had a 97 Cobra with the Magnaflow Magnapack. I liked it. Would it sound the same on an 04? And how similar does it sound to the Borla Stinger Catback?
What's the difference in sound and performance between stock vs. shorty vs. long-tube headers?
Also, how much do o/r affect emissions? I want to make sure I can drive this thing when I'm done. (I live in Ohio)
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #40
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I know you've gotten a lot of opinions already..

03/04 cobra would be awesome, but like you I like to put a little wrench time in myself..

I love the 03/04 mach 1s, and would love to have one but at the same time, rebuild costs when something blows up (in my case it will be when, not if) would be much higher than 2v to build up something stronger (IE crank/rods/etc)

My plans for the '01 GT I just picked up.. Kenne bell SC 9+ PSI (undecided as of yet), full exhaust and dyno tune until something breaks

My last rustang was a 1992.. had a full 331 swap in it, was awaiting SC but had to go back to school

Good luck with whatever your choice!

Oh, if you end up looking for a GT.. know that 2002 + had the TR3650 which is a stronger transmission than the T45 in the earlier 99-01s
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I really do like the idea of the Cobra now. After discussing the parts and possibilities, I've come to like the Terminator. Working on a list of aftermarket parts, and it's going to be very expensive in the end ...but at least now I have a goal
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #42
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

And there are plenty of areas to get your hands dirty with blower swaps, cooling upgrades, and things like that. It's not like you won't be able to wrench on the car at all. I've worked on mine a lot.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I'll put up a list. I've been looking in magazines, but there's a lot that I'm not sure will work together, or how much I'll have to do for the car's integrity. Forget price for a minute and let me know what you think:

2004 Mustang Cobra (eventually get it painted like Mineral Grey)
Pulley swap (What size? HorsePower TV used a 2.8)
Custom tune: SCT XCAL 2 or XCAL 3
Exhaust: Borla Stainless Steel Stinger Cat-Back
Shocks: H&R Race Springs (99-04 Cobra)
C&C Plates: Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates (?)
Standard Taillights: TL 900 LED Black
Headlights: Black Mustang Projector Headlights from AmericanMuscle (I decided against the Halo's)
Short Throw Shifter: MGW Tremec 3650 Shifter
Cold Air Intake: JLT 12” CAI Kit For High Boost Applications (2003-04 SVT Cobra)
Rims Front: Black FR500 Wheel 94-04 (?x?)
Rims Rear: Black FR500 Wheel 94-04 (?x?)

Supercharger: Kenne Belle/Whipple/Vortech/Ford Racing (difference?)
Twin Turbo setup: I've found three (advice?)
~$6500 (96-04 Mustang Twin Turbo Kit)
$7000 *(HP Performance 03-04 Cobra Twin Turbo Kit [HP-0304CK] - $6,395.00 : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1
$7500+ (Hellion 03-04 Cobra Hellraiser Twin Turbo Kit [HPS-0304COBRAHELLRAISER] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs)

Now: Good, bad, and ugly? and guesstimate price?

Also wondering right now, what's the throttle body do?
And since I've never owned a stick, do you recommend a shift light?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #44
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The MGW shifter needs to be for a T56. We have a 6 speed, not the 5 speed you have listed.

The high boost CAI is missleading. It becomes a restriction above 20 psi and will cost you power if you spin that hard.

The ford racing blower is a whipple...so there is no difference. I'd go with the 2.3 gen 2 whipple or a 2.8 kenne bell if you want to keep the PSI down.

If you go turbo....the hellion kit is very recommended by others.

A throttle body will be needed if you go with a KB or a whipple designed for a single blade TB. Stock the cobra comes with a twin blade TB. The single will flow more air and allows for more power. However, don't get the billetflow one. I have it, it sucks. The throttle body is what allows the air to come into the engine. When you press the gas, it opens up and lets more air in.

You don't really need a shift light as it is only really applicable when racing. You can shift any time you want when driving normally. You'll develop your own patterns once you start driving. After about 2 weeks of driving a manual, you will not need a light as you will be able to tell by the RPMs when you need to shift.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Always appreciated.
Any tips on a shifter then?
What's the difference between CAI and ram air. Could I do either?
Watching vids online, I like the sound of the Kenne Bell, and I've seen it suggested on here. I just wasn't sure about the Vortech.
With the Hellion, I hope I get what I pay for lol.
For the throttle body, we'll assume I get the 2.8 Kenne Bell. Do the other mods listed affect it? And either way, could you point me in the right direction for a quality throttle body?
Is there any order I should add parts in? If I did all this at once without working up to it I'd kill myself...or worse, the car.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #46
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, the KB doesn't make noise in the new sizes. It is really quiet compared to my 2.2L which they don't make anymore. That vid you saw of mine is the 2.2. The 2.6 and 2.8 as well as the 2.3L whipple are much quieter until you spin them super hard in higher 20+ psi boost situations.

Shifter needs to be the MGW for the T56. Best one you can find.

The difference between the two intakes is, the CAI puts the filter in the fender well. The RAI puts it in the engine bay like mine. I originally bought the high boost CAI like you have listed. We were not able to get it installed without it rubbing the fender real bad. So we bailed and put the RAI kit on. You're only talking about maybe a few HP difference between the two....and with the RAI kit you don't have to worry about water intake if you go through a deep puddle, the PITA of cleaning your air filter, and things like that. The RAI everything is readily accessible.

As for other mods affecting the KB and what not....not really. The only affect you will really have is the more mods you do, the more power you can pull out of the KB/Whipple.

The vortech...not many people go that route on these cars. They like the instant boost/torque instead of the spooling a vortech requires. I know the early kits had a problem keeping belts on...but that was 5 years ago. Never looked into them much since then.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

What would the difference be between finding an older 2.2 (if I can) vs. a new 2.8?
Sounds like you'd suggest RAI. Any particular brands?
And I've heard about turbo-lag. I've also heard (this was years ago, so idk how much things have changed) of people doing super and turbo in order to eliminate that. What should I expect?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #48
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

JLT is my suggestion whether you go CAI or RAI.

You can find 2.2L kenne bells all over. I found mine for $2500 shipped.

The only difference is that the bigger displacement blowers will produce the same amount of power at lower boost levels and generate less heat as they become more efficient. The bigger displacements also allow for more boost potential should you decide to crank up the boost.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

So stick with the quieter, but larger displacement and let the twin turbo do the talking

I think for the first time since I posted the thread, I've actually run out of questions. But don't worry 'cause I'll find more. I'll be back to searching the web when I finish my homework (stupid classes).

Edit: That didn't take long. how's the super+turbo work?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #50
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

It's a compound deal...the supercharge gives you that low end grunt to get moving and quickly move through the spooling process of the turbo...and then the turbo would kick in. While cool in concept...they actually work to restrict each other a little. INitially, the turbo is limiting the air available to the super. Then, once the turbo starts working, the super is working as a wall that the turbo has to push air through.

It's a cool concept, but, they haven't been getting the power numbers out of the combo one would expect. I know of one case that was running about 1000 hp to the ground, but that was on like 35-40 psi of compounded boost. I think the turbo was 14 psi and the super was 15ish or so.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I saw a video of (it said) an 03 Saleen with a kenne bell and a twin turbo as well as other mods, and it hit 1020 on the dyno. I'm sure although they would restrict each other some, the combined power would be more than either one individually, right?

Pulley sizes? Gear ratios? Wheel/tire sizes?
I know I've asked before, but I figured I'll ask again since we now have an idea of my end goal.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #52
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Pulley sizes all depend on what blower you run...and what type of gas you expect to run. You don't want to run much more than 19 psi on street gas. You can, but then it starts to require your tune to be spot on and your gas be consistent grade. One bad batch and boom goes the motor.

The more boost you run, the higher the octane needed. For a 2.6L KB, a 3" upper pulley would be roughly 17 psi if I remember right. The 2.8L a 3" upper would be about 19ish I believe. I have a spread sheet at home for a pulley ratio chart for upper and upper/lower combos.

Gears, no real need to go more than the stock 3.55s. Traction is tough enough as it is. Good tire size is 315 for a 17x10.5" rim in the back...or 305 for a 18x10" rim. Fronts will be 275s whether 18 or 17 on a 9" wide rim.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

This is gonna sound like my first post lol: Explain boost?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT