Programmers, What do you guys use, and what do you have - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Programmers, What do you guys use, and what do you have

Just looking for some opinions on some Programmers I have been looking at a few on American muscle ,

SCT Mustang LiveWire Strategy Tuner (96-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

DiabloSport Predator Tuner at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

1998 GT, 5 speed, Built by Anderson Ford, PI Heads , Intake , lowered 2 In , 3.73 Gears , BBK under drive pulleys, air sensor, k&n cold air, 75mm trick flow throttle body, Bassani exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, Steeda high flow fuel pump , 24 lb injectors, Comp Cam slotted rotors, Mach 1 chin spolier
Keto77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to JoeyR
Re: Programmers, What do you guys use, and what do you have

ive heard great things about both of those products, i personally own neither but plan to grab one sometime in the near future. comes down to money all in all. if you can afford the mroe expensive tuner, why not get it. im kinda wondering how a tuner will act with my venom 400 piggyback system.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its not as much the tuner as it is the tune loaded onto them. Thats the most important thing
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

don't waste money on a hadheld you can go to a dyno tuning shop that charges about 125 an hour and get 2-3 times as much horsepower.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
don't waste money on a hadheld you can go to a dyno tuning shop that charges about 125 an hour and get 2-3 times as much horsepower.
not everyone has shops all around them though. and i don't believe thast very true. especially if ur car isn't extremely modified. u can only do so much. u want power on top of power buy parts. then get tuned., handhelds are great for someone who plans on modding there car overtime. not to mention not everyone has the money to pay someone $125 an hour to tune there car.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
not everyone has shops all around them though. and i don't believe thast very true. especially if ur car isn't extremely modified. u can only do so much. u want power on top of power buy parts. then get tuned., handhelds are great for someone who plans on modding there car overtime. not to mention not everyone has the money to pay someone $125 an hour to tune there car.
Then dont do it, do it right the 1st time. Mail order tune are junk, going to a dyno is the only right way to tune a car.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

sounds good to me I am 30 Miles from anderson Ford , the car is built pretty well just not sure what I can or have as far as A tune it was all set up when I got it.

1998 GT, 5 speed, Built by Anderson Ford, PI Heads , Intake , lowered 2 In , 3.73 Gears , BBK under drive pulleys, air sensor, k&n cold air, 75mm trick flow throttle body, Bassani exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, Steeda high flow fuel pump , 24 lb injectors, Comp Cam slotted rotors, Mach 1 chin spolier
Keto77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

regrarding the products you links, i'll let the reviews speak for themselves because we all know there just a big scam and do nothing for your car.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I wouldn't say they do nothing. I paid wholesale price for the hypertech I had on my s-10 and it was worth the 125 bucks or so, easily. I didn't gain 50hp or anything, but the improved shift points and firmness(automatic only), the speedo correction for the 18inch wheels, and the removal of the ~100mph limiter were great. I don't know that it would have been worth the retail price, especially if I had a 5 speed, but they definately aren't a complete waste if you can find one for a reasonable price.

caveat: I also bought a K&N CAI just because I thought it looked cool, and I showed the truck sometimes, so I'm probably not the best person to argue form over functionality.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Ok, but without the hand held, how are they going to make changes to their tunes?

Ok, I've had both SCT and Diablo products and here are my suggestions.

If you have a shop near by or a custom tuner in mind, use what they use to tune with. Some shops are only SCT, some are only Diablo, some are sniper, etc. Use what they use to make it easier for you to get updates.

If you don't have a local tuner, pick out a remote tuner to use. Places like Running with the Devil, Amazon Racing, VMP Tuning, Brooks Speed, and many others offer remote tuning. They provide you with a tune, you datalog some information for them, they read that information and send you an updated tune. This process continues until everyone is happy with the tune. This is how my car was tuned recently...and it works out great. I went with RWTD and it was $75 for 6 weeks worth of support. This included 3 tunes and unlimited updates based on datalogs back and forth.

The canned tunes provided with a tuner are generally bunk. They are a one size fits all type of deal and that just doesn't work for tuning. If it did, then we wouldn't need to update the one size fits all tune provided from the factory.

Ok, that about sums up my opinion on the matter. However, if I were to recommend a tuner, I would recommend an XCal 2 or XCal 3 over the Livewire. The LW is just over priced for what you get in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

regarding my last post i was being sarcastic lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The diablo and sct are like 380 bucks and a dyno tune can probably be done in a lil over and hour which will be less than 200. And yes you may have to drive to one i don't have one in my town of 5,000 people that's why i'm going to take my car there when it is finished.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT